Who knows their history better--Americans or Canadians?

  • Angela Gottfred
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
      The answer, unfortunately, is the Americans! For details, see:
      Canada Day Quiz 2001
      http://www.angusreid.com/media/content/displaypr.cfm?id_to_view=1255

      It's the results of a survey of Americans & Canadians--very interesting, &
      fuel to the fire for all of us!

      Your humble & obedient servant,
      Angela Gottfred
    • Angela Gottfred
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
        P.S. 38% of Canadians could correctly name one of the wars in which Canada
        was invaded by the U.S. Only 18% of Americans could, making this one of the
        questions that Americans did the most poorly on. (The worst was "Who was
        the first American in space?" And no, the answer *isn't* John Glenn.)

        A.G.
      • russell barnes
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
          Angela:
          I saw a poll last year in which Harvard graduates
          scored rather poorly on a handful of questions about
          American History. One of the questions was to name the
          decade of the 19th century in which the Civil War
          ocurred. Only half these graduates got that question
          right.

          As someone who has taught history at the college
          level, I was apalled. These people were graduating
          from a major university of proud academic tradition
          and in all their time there, they did not have to take
          even one history course.

          Russ

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/