aiming

  • Betsy Bashore
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 1999
      Thank you Robert for the info on the targets. My boys will find that
      interesting.

      FYI-- (for Tim)
      The US manual was very explicit in its instructions to soldiers
      regarding "taking aim"-- that the soldier was not to put his finger
      through the guard/onto the trigger until he had picked his target.
      Aiming slowed US troops less than the smaller windage may have. And Ohio
      boys generally had some expereince with hunting-- except for the poor
      young man who fired the eight rounds through his mothers roof after
      militia muster (all at once mind you)-- and most used fowlers and
      muskets not rifles-- don't need a rifle for buck and ball.
      Troops in the NW were using buck and ball frequently rather than round
      ball. I think the aim had little effect on speed compared to the general
      adversity associated with the firing of flintlocks.

      Betsy
    • BritcomHMP@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 1999
        bashore@... writes:

        Interesting stuff Betsy,

        << FYI-- (for Tim)
        The US manual was very explicit in its instructions to soldiers
        regarding "taking aim"-- that the soldier was not to put his finger
        through the guard/onto the trigger until he had picked his target.>>

        The only US manual I have is the Infantry Exercise Abridged for the Militia
        (1817) and this states, as you say, that the order is 'Aim', and that the
        soldier was actually to take aim, however there is nothing about not firing
        until one had found a target and the last instruction of the movement is ";
        and place the fore finger on the trigger."

        <<Aiming slowed US troops less than the smaller windage may have. >>

        How does windage slow troops? Affect their accuracy yes but it has no effect
        whatsoever on the rapidity of fire.

        My question is how does the officer know when to give the order to fire if he
        has to wait until all; of his men have picked a target?
        If the men are not supposed to fire until they have picked a target, and the
        order is given before they have picked one, do they disobey the order to fire?
        I had always assumed that the order 'aim' was just a convention that in
        practical terms meant exactly the same thing as the British present, if not I
        now see a good reason why US troops usually came off worst in open field,
        line to line actions.