Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Little blue ribbons

  • lee caripidis
    Message 1 of 29 , May 11, 2001
      Here here !!! I second this request for sanity and reason.
      Lee Caripidis,
      4th Reg't, US Inf.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    • HQ93rd@aol.com
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 6 8:49 AM
        Well, everyone could walk around and in a louid voice always be saying,
        "EEEE! That ship we were on LISTED to port quite a lot, eh?"
        Or.."I LISTED in this Army ___ years ago and have yet to have a decent meal."
        Of course, like I say, one would have to do this ALL the time so's the others
        would know.
        What's that? Silly? A bother? Hmmmmmmmmm

        In a message dated 6/06/01 7:30:20 AM, lalozon@... writes:

        << From: ebclemson@...

        With respect to those ... little blue ribbon
        ... attached to the tent or uniform......
        I am decidely against it.
        _____________________

        Ok Dave, I respect your wishes, please suggest another
        means that subscribers can meet and greet one another
        at events.

        93rd SHRoFLHU
        THE Thin Red Line
        www.93rdhighlanders.com
      • Raymond Hobbs
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 6 10:53 AM
          Pleasure was mine Sue and Tracy M. I appreciated you dropping by the 41st street.
          Just by greeting someone, and asking, I have several more names and faces matched. Not blue ribbon in sight, just a smile and a handshake. Some folk are shy. One thing I soon notice, though. Reenactors love to talk about the hobby, and it does not take much to get them started - thus the beginning of an
          acquaintanceship, or friendship. It does not work for all, but it seems to for most.
          Ray

          Sue Draper wrote:

          > Personally, I'm favouring the "I told two friends" of introduction and re-introduction, but hey, that's me. BTW: nice to meet you, Ray!
          >
          > -Sue
        • Dave Hill
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 6 11:42 AM
            Ok Dave, I respect your wishes, please suggest another
            means that subscribers can meet and greet one another
            at events.

            This is another Dave and I have two possibilities.

            We could take a leaf from the early Christians. An early Christian,
            during a casual conversation would draw a picture of a fish with
            his toe in the dust. If the second party was a Christian, they would
            identify them self. If they were not a Christian, they wouldn't
            recognize the sign and the Christian could wipe the fish out with his
            foot. We could use a backwards "E" for our countersign.

            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 6 11:50 AM
              From: Dave Hill

              ...We could ... draw a picture of a fish with his toe in the dust.

              Dear "other" Dave, we wear shoes and gaiters, thus this feat
              would entail modifying our feet!
              Also, could you imagine doing this for everyone who
              says "hi" or you want to talk to?!?
              ____________________________

              " ... go over to their Regimental lines, ask if they are
              around, and then introduce yourself ...."

              Dave, that's the problem, you only know them by
              1234@.com
              so how can you ask for them?
              ____________________________________

              I guess Major B's idea of:

              "... everyone could walk around and in a loud voice
              always be saying, "EEEE" ! ..."

              ~ is the only pliable solution ..................*

            • Scott Jeznach
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 6 12:12 PM

              • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 6 1:12 PM
                  Hi Scott and all,

                  I understand your criticism of beards & modern eye wear, but the person
                  who made the criticism wears period eye glasses ALL the time. He has no
                  beard. He has only appropriate items showing in his camp and kit. To
                  him and to me, the correct period appearance is our goal and we try to
                  present as correct as an appearance to the visiting public.

                  I too, would like an easy way to meet the other folks on the list at
                  events. I know several already from Chalmette, Mississenawa and Prairie
                  du Chein, but I know that I have missed others of you.

                  Just a thought, we might select a time and place after public hours at
                  events to meet. It would facilitate getting a look at each other and
                  renewing old friendships as well.

                  Bob Dorian
                  US Engineer
                • tracyforsyth@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 6 1:31 PM
                    Scott you forgot to mention the plastic blue coolers in some dining
                    area and the guys walking around with no jacket and just their
                    undershirts,and pants right after The announcer(Larry) had explained
                    to us that that would not be appropiate for the time period.

                    You are right a little piece of ribbon should not offend anyone, it
                    is not like we are asking people to walk around with royal blue
                    banners across the chest like miss America!
                    Also if I were a spectator that didn't know much about this hobby and
                    asked someone why they had this blue ribbon on and found out it was
                    so they could meet other people on a email list I would really think
                    that was a great idea and I would be impressed that this is also a
                    hobby that you could meet friends that could become friends for many
                    years.
                    Tracy

                  • colsjtjones2000@yahoo.ca
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 6 2:06 PM
                      --- In WarOf1812@y..., dancingbobd@w... wrote:
                      > Hi Scott and all,
                      >
                      > Just a thought, we might select a time and place after public
                      hours at
                      > events to meet. It would facilitate getting a look at each other
                      and
                      > renewing old friendships as well.
                      >
                      > Bob Dorian
                      > US Engineer

                      Best suggestion yet! Larry, is this something you would organize?
                      Doug
                    • Sue Draper
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 6 2:23 PM
                        What about ticking off a box on a list when you register, and then the list could be made available at the registration tent for people so inclined as to actively search others out? Personally, I'm favouring the "I told two friends" of introduction and re-introduction, but hey, that's me. BTW: nice to meet you, Ray!

                        -Sue
                        > Just a thought, we might select a time and place after public
                        hours at
                        > events to meet. It would facilitate getting a look at each other
                        and
                        > renewing old friendships as well.
                        >
                        > Bob Dorian
                        > US Engineer

                        Best suggestion yet! Larry, is this something you would organize?
                        Doug

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • Kevin Lightfoot
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 6 3:31 PM
                          ---In lieu of blue ribbons wouldn't it make sense to have a meet and
                          greet at an event at a specific time in a common locale. A good time
                          would be around tea time (4:00 pm)or in the late morning. It would
                          only be for half an hour to an hour and it would give everyone a
                          chance to meet and talk. You could advertise the time and location
                          prior to an event on the e-group thus giving everyone fair warning
                          and opportunity.

                          Brenda Lightfoot

                        • stormsail2@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 6 7:55 PM
                            Finally a good solution to the problem. Setting a place to meet, and even,
                            perhaps, bring some libation or other sustenance, seems like a great idea. A
                            relaxed time, some conversation, and an opportunity to put a name with a
                            face.

                            I'm all for it.

                            Tom Burke
                            Ships Company
                          • Kevin Windsor
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 6 8:34 PM
                              What! You love to talk Ray! NO! Allison was impressed this year that after we packed everything up we were gone. I didn't say goodbye for an hour or so stalling...I love to talk too!

                              Raymond Hobbs wrote:

                              > Reenactors love to talk about the hobby, and it does not take much to get them started - thus the beginning of an acquaintanceship, or friendship. It does not work for all, but it seems to for most.
                              > Ray
                            • Kevin Windsor
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 6 8:36 PM
                                Why would you want Deanna to even look like a man Scott!!
                                How was 8 hours of Monty Python anyway?

                              • easeufe@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 6 10:05 PM
                                  In a message dated 6/6/01 11:43:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  kevin.windsor@... writes:

                                  > Why would you want Deanna to even look like a man Scott!!

                                  Good point Kevin!

                                  > How was 8 hours of Monty Python anyway?

                                  Spammingly great! Went thru Lumberjack country, land of the constitutional
                                  peasant, Dr Carl Gruber's embarrassment Clinic, found a half-a-bee named Eric
                                  and a dead Norwegian Blue nailed to its perch! I now like Chinese, had a
                                  description of a tour of India and four yorkshire men told us their life
                                  stories.

                                  Ed Seufert
                                  Ministry of Silly Walks

                                • Five Rivers
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 7 3:01 AM
                                    > Scott you forgot to mention the plastic blue coolers in some dining
                                    > area and the guys walking around with no jacket and just their
                                    > undershirts,and pants right after The announcer(Larry) had explained
                                    > to us that that would not be appropiate for the time period.

                                    Not to take issue with either Tracy or Larry, but men appearing in their
                                    shirts and breeches (sans waistcoat) in public would depend upon trade, the
                                    moment, etc. Certainly there are many drawings by Pyne, etc., depicting
                                    labourers and tradesmen working in their shirtsleeves, sleeves rolled up
                                    past the elbow. Nary a waistcoat in sight. Now mind when Gary leaves the
                                    shop the waistcoat goes on, but while working, well, sometimes it's
                                    relegated to the back of a Windsor chair.

                                    Personally, the eccentric in me rather liked the Listing comments -
                                    Cooper says, "Feels like I've been LISTING staves all my life!" And what
                                    would be wrong with a formal introduction? "Good day, Mr., Mrs. Cooper.
                                    Allow me to introduce myself ...." doffs his hat and handshakes and curtseys
                                    ensue. Very lovely image to spectators. Helps our experience of things
                                    historical. Just a thought.

                                    But ribbons, comments, whatever suits.

                                    Regards
                                    Lorina
                                    supplies
                                    (519) 799-5577, fax (519) 799-5418 http://www.5rivers.org email:
                                    info@...
                                  • Scott Jeznach
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 7 5:09 AM
                                      > Why would you want Deanna to even look like a man Scott!!

                                      Oh believe me, I'm red-blooded and male enough to appreciate that view!
                                      Come to think of it, I've paid good money to........um, never mind. Anyway,
                                      it was simply an example of the lack of priorities when it comes to
                                      authenticity concerns.

                                      Scott J.
                                      Royal Marines
                                    • tracyforsyth@hotmail.com
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 7 6:38 AM
                                        Hi All

                                        If it is decided to meet each other rather then wear a ribbon etc
                                        could it be around 4pm between afternoon and evening battles?

                                        I respect and admire all of you wanting to stay authentic and I do
                                        understand that wearing the ribbons would take away from what you are
                                        trying to portray.However I would like to meet more of you that re
                                        enact and are on this list.
                                        Tracy Forsyth Spectator.

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 7 7:27 AM
                                          From: colsjtjones2000@...

                                          dancingbobd@w... wrote:
                                          " ... we might select a time and place after public
                                          hours at events to meet.

                                          Larry, is this something you would organize?

                                          Doug,

                                          I think this would be a nice little task for you to
                                          organize, possibly at Ft, Geo/Lundys July 20, 2001.

                                        • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 7 2:17 PM
                                            In a message dated 6/06/01 12:28:42 PM, dave.bev@... writes:

                                            << We could take a leaf from the early Christians. >>

                                            But then they'd be naked!
                                            ;-)

                                            93rd SHRoFLHU
                                            THE Thin Red Line
                                            www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                          • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 7 2:19 PM
                                              In a message dated 6/06/01 1:15:48 PM, dancingbobd@... writes:

                                              <<
                                              Just a thought, we might select a time and place after public hours at
                                              events to meet. It would facilitate getting a look at each other >>

                                              Maybe a boxing ring?
                                              ;-)

                                              93rd SHRoFLHU
                                              THE Thin Red Line
                                              www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                            • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 7 7:31 PM
                                                Hi B,

                                                Do you mean that you Brits give rings for Boxing Day? :-)

                                                Bob
                                                US Engineers
                                              • Chewie
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 8 10:46 AM
                                                  sorry for being a little off topic , but recently at an 1811 Albuera re-enactment I arranged to meet a chap interested in the hobby .I came from Britain , Pedro is from Portugal .
                                                  I sent him a brief description and he managed to find me , by simply asking if anyone could point me out . It does work without any non-period symbols .

                                                  Chewie
                                                  unit commander
                                                  Dirty Half Hundred
                                                  " not a good looking bunch , but devilish steady"

                                                • beaverstroker2001@yahoo.com
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 12 5:58 PM

                                                    > > During the Stoney Creek event, which I still thought was a good
                                                    > > event, I
                                                    > > observed the following: a voluptious blonde woman in a navy
                                                    uniform
                                                    > > not
                                                    > > even trying to look the part of a man,
                                                    > > With all of this going on, are we really going to be offended by
                                                    an
                                                    > > nondescript piece of ribbon? Puhleese!

                                                    Hey Scott maybe you guys should strip Voluptious Blonds doing a bad
                                                    job as men. Maybe it was a guy doing a really god job of dressing like
                                                    a gal trying to look like a guy. Or maybe it was a girl dressing like
                                                    a guy dressing like a girl and doing a bad job of looking like a man.

                                                    Ok I'm confused. Got any pics of her? :P

                                                    Alex
                                                  • Craig Williams
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jun 12 11:16 PM
                                                      Hey Larry
                                                      Why don't we all just make up a authentic looking pin ala Rogers Derangers
                                                      or Butlers Balloon corps? But I wax sarcastic...
                                                      Why not just ask, or have we become so wired into the system that talking to
                                                      one another in person is dangerous?

                                                      Tuppence
                                                      Craig
                                                      >" ... we might select a time and place after public
                                                      >hours at events to meet.
                                                      >
                                                      >Larry, is this something you would organize?
                                                      >

                                                      >Doug,
                                                      >
                                                      >I think this would be a nice little task for you to
                                                      >organize, possibly at Ft, Geo/Lundys July 20, 2001.

                                                      square miles...

                                                    • Cpl. Wattie
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jun 13 12:44 PM
                                                        > Hey Larry
                                                        > Why don't we all just make up a authentic looking pin ala Rogers Derangers
                                                        > or Butlers Balloon corps? But I wax sarcastic...
                                                        > Why not just ask, or have we become so wired into the system that talking to
                                                        > one another in person is dangerous?

                                                        Just do what I do when meeting e-mail
                                                        acquaintances in person: I look down,
                                                        poise my hands over an imaginary