Re: [WarOf1812] The Letter "J" in the alphabet

  • HQ93rd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
      In a message dated 4/06/01 2:06:38 PM, BritcomHMP@... writes:

      << In a message dated 6/4/2001 3:18:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
      scottj@...
      writes:

      << In the mid to late 18th century, the letter "J" was not used in the English
      alphabet. The letter "I" was used for both "I" and "J.">>

      Actually it is in Latin that there is no "J"; in English in anything like its
      modern form "J" is most certainly used

      <<Was the letter "J" in use by our period (ie: the early 19th Century)? >>

      Absolutely. The earliest book in my collection is 1786, this has the usual
      figure that looks like 'f' for a small 'S' but it has both 'i' and 'j'.

      And don't forget that little ol' King James Bible book thingy...

      (And I've never seen any of my ancestors listed as "Iennings"....)

      93rd SHRoFLHU
      THE Thin Red Line
      www.93rdhighlanders.com
    • dancingbobd@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
        Hi everyone,

        I own an butcher knife made in Shefield in the period 1800-1840 by John
        Wilson Co. It is marked I WILSON. He made knives from the 3rd qtr of
        the 18th Cen. well into the 20th Cen. I imagine that he did not want to
        change his "brand" name which was known for high quality. Prior to 1800
        Wilson marked his knives with a touch mark of a pepper corn and a
        diamond. The name was added at the start of the 19th Cen. The
        documentation for this came from the Museum of the Fur Trade Quarterly.

        I also have a 1763 set of Engineer manuals published in Britain which
        uses j as we would today. Things were not as uniform as they are today
        in usage and spelling.

        Regards,

        Bob Dorian
        US Engineers
      • Angela Gottfred
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
          There is definitely _something_ odd about the way "i" & "j" were viewed in
          the early 19C. My c.1806 edition of Johnson's dictionary considers 'i' and
          'j' to be the same letter, alphabetizing 'jay' and 'jazel' before 'ibis'.
          'Ibis' to 'idyl' are followed by 'jealous' to 'jezebel'. 'Jezebel' is
          followed by 'if' and so on. I wonder if this is some academic affectation
          that comes from the fact that there is no 'j' in Latin.

          Your humble & obedient servant,
          Angela Gottfred
        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
            In a message dated 6/5/2001 9:19:13 AM Central Daylight Time,
            agottfre@... writes:

            << I wonder if this is some academic affectation
            that comes from the fact that there is no 'j' in Latin. >>

            I think you could well be right Angela, that is was considered the same
            letter even though it is written differently and pronounced differently!
            Of course this affectation does not affect the usage in everyday written
            language one jot.

          • James Aldrich
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
              Angela Gottfred wrote:

              > I wonder if this is some academic affectation
              > that comes from the fact that there is no 'j' in Latin.

              Considering earlier efforts to impose Latin grammar on English, I suspect you are not far from the truth of the matter.

              JSA

              --
              Green Bay Lacrosse-- Play hard; play often.
            • Craig Williams
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 12, 2001
                Scott
                I am doing the film "Salem Witch Trials" right now, which occurred in 1692
                and they definitely used the letter "J". one of the poor bastards hung was
                John Proctor.

                Craig
                >In the mid to late 18th century, the letter "J" was not used in the English
                >alphabet. The letter "I" was used for both "I" and "J."
                >
                >Was the letter "J" in use by our period (ie: the early 19th Century)?
                >
                >Scott J.
                >Royal Marines

                square miles...

              • Roger Marsh
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 13, 2001
                  Ah - it was Scott Jeznach, then. Kindly elucidate, Scott.

                  Regards,

                  Roger Marsh

                  <SNIP>?

                  > >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of
                  fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...