Re: [WarOf1812] The Letter "J" in the alphabet

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
      Scott:
      I have a copy of a map drawn in 1791 of the 'Head of the Lake' area (Hamilton/Burlington). It is by Augustus Jones, Deputy Surveyor General of Upper Canada, appointed
      by Simcoe. The 'J' is definitiely used in the handwriting. I also have copies of original documents of our period from the National Archives of Canada - 'Js' in
      abundance, and distinct from the 'I'. Although the handwritten I and J are formed with the same strokes of the pen, the J is much longer and drops below the line.
      Example where they are used in the same sentence - 'I have the honor to be, Sir, your most obedient and humble servant, Joseph Tallan, Officer Commanding, Sandwich.'
      Dated 1813. Several are like this.
      Ray Hobbs
      1/41st

      Scott Jeznach wrote:

      > Got a weird question for the group.
      >
      > In the mid to late 18th century, the letter "J" was not used in the English
      > alphabet. The letter "I" was used for both "I" and "J."
      >
      > Was the letter "J" in use by our period (ie: the early 19th Century)?
      >
      > Scott J.
      > Royal Marines

    • Scott Jeznach

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
          Scott, you mean like in "John Bull", Adm. Sir John Jervis etc. From
          the several 1812 era political cartoons I've seen, I'd have to say
          yes.

          Myron

        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
            In a message dated 6/4/2001 3:18:33 PM Central Daylight Time, scottj@...
            writes:

            << In the mid to late 18th century, the letter "J" was not used in the English
            alphabet. The letter "I" was used for both "I" and "J.">>

            Actually it is in Latin that there is no "J"; in English in anything like its
            modern form "J" is most certainly used

            <<Was the letter "J" in use by our period (ie: the early 19th Century)? >>

            Absolutely. The earliest book in my collection is 1786, this has the usual
            figure that looks like 'f' for a small 'S' but it has both 'i' and 'j'.

          • spikeyj@crosslink.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
              On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Scott Jeznach wrote:

              > In the mid to late 18th century, the letter "J" was not used in the English
              > alphabet. The letter "I" was used for both "I" and "J."
              >
              > Was the letter "J" in use by our period (ie: the early 19th Century)?

              The letter J/j (as something separate from I/i) was introduced in the
              16th century. It took a while for the usage to become standardized
              (just like so many other elements of spelling during the early
              centuries of printing), so in the 17th and maybe even conceivably
              early 18th century there would still be some confusion.

              By the 1812 time period the usage was pretty much standardized,
              although I'm sure misleading typefaces (that minimize the difference
              between i and j) could give one the impression that they were still
              interchangeable.

              Spike Y Jones
            • HQ93rd@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001

                writes:

                << In the mid to late 18th century, the letter "J" was not used in the English
                alphabet. The letter "I" was used for both "I" and "J.">>

                Actually it is in Latin that there is no "J"; in English in anything like its
                modern form "J" is most certainly used

                <<Was the letter "J" in use by our period (ie: the early 19th Century)? >>

                Absolutely. The earliest book in my collection is 1786, this has the usual
                figure that looks like 'f' for a small 'S' but it has both 'i' and 'j'.

                And don't forget that little ol' King James Bible book thingy...

                (And I've never seen any of my ancestors listed as "Iennings"....)

                93rd SHRoFLHU
                THE Thin Red Line
                www.93rdhighlanders.com
              • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
                  Hi everyone,

                  I own an butcher knife made in Shefield in the period 1800-1840 by John
                  Wilson Co. It is marked I WILSON. He made knives from the 3rd qtr of
                  the 18th Cen. well into the 20th Cen. I imagine that he did not want to
                  change his "brand" name which was known for high quality. Prior to 1800
                  Wilson marked his knives with a touch mark of a pepper corn and a
                  diamond. The name was added at the start of the 19th Cen. The
                  documentation for this came from the Museum of the Fur Trade Quarterly.

                  I also have a 1763 set of Engineer manuals published in Britain which
                  uses j as we would today. Things were not as uniform as they are today
                  in usage and spelling.

                  Regards,

                  Bob Dorian
                  US Engineers
                • Angela Gottfred
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
                    There is definitely _something_ odd about the way "i" & "j" were viewed in
                    the early 19C. My c.1806 edition of Johnson's dictionary considers 'i' and
                    'j' to be the same letter, alphabetizing 'jay' and 'jazel' before 'ibis'.
                    'Ibis' to 'idyl' are followed by 'jealous' to 'jezebel'. 'Jezebel' is
                    followed by 'if' and so on. I wonder if this is some academic affectation
                    that comes from the fact that there is no 'j' in Latin.

                    Your humble & obedient servant,
                    Angela Gottfred
                  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
                      In a message dated 6/5/2001 9:19:13 AM Central Daylight Time,
                      agottfre@... writes:

                      << I wonder if this is some academic affectation
                      that comes from the fact that there is no 'j' in Latin. >>

                      I think you could well be right Angela, that is was considered the same
                      letter even though it is written differently and pronounced differently!
                      Of course this affectation does not affect the usage in everyday written
                      language one jot.

                    • James Aldrich
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
                        Angela Gottfred wrote:

                        > I wonder if this is some academic affectation
                        > that comes from the fact that there is no 'j' in Latin.

                        Considering earlier efforts to impose Latin grammar on English, I suspect you are not far from the truth of the matter.

                        JSA

                        --
                        Green Bay Lacrosse-- Play hard; play often.
                      • Craig Williams
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 12, 2001
                          Scott
                          I am doing the film "Salem Witch Trials" right now, which occurred in 1692
                          and they definitely used the letter "J". one of the poor bastards hung was
                          John Proctor.

                          Craig
                          >In the mid to late 18th century, the letter "J" was not used in the English
                          >alphabet. The letter "I" was used for both "I" and "J."
                          >
                          >Was the letter "J" in use by our period (ie: the early 19th Century)?
                          >
                          >Scott J.
                          >Royal Marines

                          square miles...

                        • Roger Marsh
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 13, 2001
                            Ah - it was Scott Jeznach, then. Kindly elucidate, Scott.

                            Regards,

                            Roger Marsh

                            <SNIP>?

                            > >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of
                            fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...