Re: [WarOf1812] Sashes pt two

  • Andrew Bateman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2001
      From: "John-Paul Johnson"

      >... This article has things that don't jibe with
      > what I've heard around the hobby - like silk was chosen for sashes for
      > their strength rather than that silk strands are easier to remove from
      > wounds than cotton or wool.

      I've heard that officers sometimes chose to wear silk shirts because of the
      wound thing but I'm not sure if it was a consideration in choosing the
      material for the sash - they probably used silk for the richer appearance.
      I also understand that the word "sergeant" derives from the serge that their
      sashes of rank were made from in the early days.

      BTW, Sergeant Majors in the Army Cadets still wear red sashes over the
      shoulder but during my time in the service I never saw any real soldiers
      wearing them unless some of them still wear them with their regiment's
      ceremonial uniform.

      Andrew Bateman, 1/41st
    • Kevin Lightfoot
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2001
        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Andrew Bateman" <abateman@f...> wrote:
> [...]

        Actually the modern Canadian Infantry senior NCO and Warrant officer
        does wear his sash for regimental parades, when the dress is S1 or as
        the order of the day dictates from the RSM.

        Kevin Lightfoot
        RSM 1 BNAR / Capt 56 FD RCA