Sad News

  • manipi@msn.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 3, 2001
      I thought I'd pass along condolences to some recent passings.

      Richard Pellan died Friday a.m.
      I don't have much info at this time. He was a member of the
      Manitoba Living History Society/Red River Redcoats.

      Martin Lake's Mother passed away May 31st.
      Martin is the Director of Mississinewa1812.

      Steve Abolt's Father passed away May 17th.
      Major Abolt is Commander of the U.S. 7th Infantry Reg't.

      Teresa Black's Father passed away May 27th.
      Teresa is a member of the U.S. 7th Inf. Living History Soc.

      Our thoughts and prayers go along with our condolences to their
      families and friends.

      Respectfully submitted by

      Tom Lawrence
      Chosen Man, de Watteville's Reg't - Red River Redcoats
      Pvt, U.S. 7th Inf. Reg't
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
        Lady's & Gents:

        We are saddened by the news received from Marion Indiana.
        Martin Lake is President and Founder of the Mississinewa Battlefield
        Society and Co-Ordinator of the event known as 'Mississinewa 1812'.

        We are notified that his prostate surgery has been put on hold
        because pre-surgery EKG revealed that he has a heart problem.
        St. Vincent's Indiana Heart Center in Indianapolis, reports that
        he has to have open heart surgery on November 13 to repair nine
        blockages in the arteries on the left side of his heart.

        I don't think at this time we should email him, but I do suggest
        a get well card mailed to:

        Martin Lake
        402 South Washington Street,
        Suite 509,
        P. O. Box 1812
        Marion, Indiana 46953

        As always, your thoughts and prayers
        to guarantee a successful operation.

        Summited out of respect for a special man,

        Larry Lozon
      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 5, 2001
          Does anyone have an update on Martins condition?

          Craig
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 26, 2001
            http://www.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/26/hawthorne.obit/index.html

            Reports:

            Actor Sir Nigel Hawthorne dies
            December 26, 2001 Posted: 9:19 AM EST (1419 GMT)

            Hawthorne: Classical actor with repertoire ranging from Shakespeare to raw
            comedy

            LONDON, England -- British actor Sir Nigel Hawthorne, who won worldwide
            acclaim for his starring role in the film "The Madness of King George," has
            died at the age of 72.

            Hawthorne, who was diagnosed as suffering from cancer of the pancreas last
            year, suffered a heart attack at his home on Wednesday, his agent said.

            Often held back by his modesty, Hawthorne made his name as the suave and
            calculating civil servant Sir Humphrey in the television series "Yes
            Minister" -- which former British Prime Minister Thatcher admitted was her
            favourite TV programme.

            He later gained Hollywood fame for his portrayal of the mad king in "The
            Madness of King George" for which he was nominated for an Oscar.

            Hawthorne died peacefully at home with his partner and a friend at his side.
            He had been battling cancer for 18 months and had just come out of hospital,
            where he had been having chemotherapy.

            Doctors had told the actor that if the maliignant tumour had not been
            discovered when it had he would have died within days.

            Ken McReddie, who had been Sir Nigel's agent for 30 years, said the cancer
            treatment had been going well and the heart attack was unexpected.

            He added: "He was a brilliant actor and a wonderful friend. I feel very sad
            and extremely cut up."

            Hawthorne, who entered acting against his father's wishes, was a classical
            actor with an astonishing repertoire ranging from Shakespearean leads to raw
            comedy.

            It was once said of him that he spent the first 20 years of his
            distinguished career being ignored and the rest of it being discovered.

            It was his triumphant performance in his Oscar-nominated "The Madness of
            King George" which transformed him into a star almost overnight.

            And when, in 1999, he tackled King Lear, he commented: "One advantage of
            doing Lear at 70 is that you don't have to play an old man."

            Nigel Barnard Hawthorne was born in Coventry on April 5, 1929, into a family
            which emigrated to South Africa when he was barely two-years-old.

            He was educated at St George's Grammar School, Cape Town, and then the
            Christian Brothers' College, in Cape Town.

            He began his acting career in South Africa after dropping out of university.

            His first appearance in Britain was in November, 1951 as Donald in "You
            Can't Take It With You."

            He beat an ignominious retreat to South Africa in 1957 where he achieved the
            success he yearned. And in the early 1960s, he decided to return to England,
            where this time success continued.

            His first West End appearance was as Fancy Dan in "Talking to You" in
            October, 1962.

            He worked at the Royal Court and Joan Littlewood's Theatre Royal in
            Stratford East, but he was often held back by his modest demeanour.

            He realised, when he was playing a dithering role in Christopher Hampton's
            "The Philanthropist," that his lack of forcefulness was his undoing.

            He once said: "I'd been going for 24 years and wondering all the time what I
            was doing wrong. That taught me to be a little more positive."

            It was then that his career started to blossom. He played the dim martinet
            in Peter Nichols's hilarious "Privates on Parade" (1977), and then the role
            that brought him fame, Sir Humphrey Appleby, in "Yes, Minister."

            His performance in that and its no less successful sequel, "Yes, Prime
            Minister," won him a CBE and offers of more substantial and serious parts in
            the theatre.

            The parts, and the awards, came flooding in. He won a coveted US Tony Award
            for his part in "Shadowlands" (1991), and the Olivier Award for Best Actor
            in "The Madness of George III" (the stage version), in 1992, and a
            succession of Bafta Best Light Entertainment awards for his performance in
            "Yes, Minister."

            In 1997, he was awarded the Bafta Best TV Actor award for his performance in
            "The Fragile Heart."

            And in 1999 he played King Lear in the Royal Shakespeare Company's
            millennium production.

            Hawthorne, a vegetarian, was "outed" as a homosexual by American newspapers
            in the run-up to his 1995 Oscars' appearance. He was awarded a knighthood in
            the New Year Honours List of 1999.

            He lived quietly in a 15th-Century Hertfordshire manor house with Trevor
            Bentham, a theatre manager and screenwriter, from 1979.

            He once said of his relationship: "Flaunting your sexuality offends people
            and what's the point in doing that if you are trying to win them over?"

            ______________________
          • colsjtjones2000
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 26, 2001
              What a loss - I always enjoyed his work over the years. Doug

              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 26, 2001
                A fine gentleman and a great actor, a sad loss to the profession. R.I.P.

              • colsjtjones2000
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 26, 2001
                  A pity. What a great loss. I enjoyed all his performances I saw,
                  primarily on television, as well as that quintessential movie. Doug

> [...]
                  performance in
                  > "Yes, Minister."
                  >
                  > In 1997, he was awarded the Bafta Best TV Actor award for his
                  performance in
                  > "The Fragile Heart."
                  >
                  > And in 1999 he played King Lear in the Royal Shakespeare Company's
                  > millennium production.
                  >
                  > Hawthorne, a vegetarian, was "outed" as a homosexual by American
                  newspapers
                  > in the run-up to his 1995 Oscars' appearance. He was awarded a
                  knighthood in
                  > the New Year Honours List of 1999.
                  >
                  > He lived quietly in a 15th-Century Hertfordshire manor house with
                  Trevor
                  > Bentham, a theatre manager and screenwriter, from 1979.
                  >
                  > He once said of his relationship: "Flaunting your sexuality offends
                  people
                  > and what's the point in doing that if you are trying to win them

                • Raymond Hobbs
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 27, 2001
                    > The man was a brilliant actor, and, by all accounts, a fine human being. I have a book of the 'Yes, Prime Minister' scripts, and my favourite Sir Humphrey line is [in
                    > typical civil service logic] "Something must be done. This is something. We must do this!"

                    Ray Hobbs

> [...]
                    > performance in
                    > > "Yes, Minister."
                    > >
                    > > In 1997, he was awarded the Bafta Best TV Actor award for his
                    > performance in
                    > > "The Fragile Heart."
                    > >
                    > > And in 1999 he played King Lear in the Royal Shakespeare Company's
                    > > millennium production.
                    > >
                    > > Hawthorne, a vegetarian, was "outed" as a homosexual by American
                    > newspapers
                    > > in the run-up to his 1995 Oscars' appearance. He was awarded a
                    > knighthood in
                    > > the New Year Honours List of 1999.
                    > >
                    > > He lived quietly in a 15th-Century Hertfordshire manor house with
                    > Trevor
                    > > Bentham, a theatre manager and screenwriter, from 1979.
                    > >
                    > > He once said of his relationship: "Flaunting your sexuality offends
                    > people
                    > > and what's the point in doing that if you are trying to win them

                  • John Harris
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 1, 2004
                      My Friends , it is with sad heart that I inform you of the passing of Allan
                      Wootton tonight.Allan was a long time member of I.M.U.C. and one of my
                      closest friends. I don't have any details right now as to funeral
                      arrangements . When I do I'll let people know.
                      Until then
                      John Harris
                    • Kevin Windsor
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 1, 2004
                        Rest in Peace Lieutenant.

                        John please give my best to Malcolm he will be in my thoughts
                        with sadness
                        Kevin

                      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 1, 2004
                          In a message dated 01/09/2004 21:38:01 Central Standard Time,
                          jharris@... writes:

                          My Friends , it is with sad heart that I inform you of the passing of Allan
                          Wootton tonight.Allan was a long time member of I.M.U.C. and one of my
                          closest friends. I don't have any details right now as to funeral
                          arrangements . When I do I'll let people know.
                          Until then
                          John Harris

                          Many of us are getting to be 'of an age' and when those of our friends in
                          the hobby pass it is well to remember that they are part of the fabric that
                          helped preserve history and put us where we are today.
                          I hope that, along with being a living memorial to the men of the Georgian
                          era, we will also memorialise those of our own ranks who are no longer with
                          us. The loss is hard to take but they will continue to march with us.

                          Requiescant in Pace

                        • britishnativeallies
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 1, 2004
                            My thoughts and prayers are with him, his friends and family.

                            Your King's Faithful Ally, Wolf Thomas BNA
                          • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 1, 2004
                              Dear John:
                              On behalf of the 41st Regt. may I offer my condolences to Alan's family, the IMUC and to you for the
                              loss of a good friend.
                              Sincerely
                              Ray Hobbs
                              CO 41st Regt.
                              Hamilton, ON

                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 2, 2004
                                John

                                On behalf of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, my condolences to Allan's family and friends, including yourself. God bless you all

                                Peter Monahan

                                > From: <ray.hobbs@...>
                                > Date: 2004/09/02 Thu AM 12:15:47 EST
                                > To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
                                > Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Sad News
                                >
                                > Dear John:
                                > On behalf of the 41st Regt. may I offer my condolences to Alan's family, the IMUC and to you for the
                                > loss of a good friend.
                                > Sincerely
                                > Ray Hobbs
                                > CO 41st Regt.
                                > Hamilton, ON
                                >
                                > From: "John Harris" <jharris@...>
                                > Date: 2004/09/01 Wed PM 10:40:50 EST
                                > To: "WarOf1812" <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
                                > Subject: [WarOf1812] Sad News
                                >
                                > My Friends , it is with sad heart that I inform you of the passing of Allan
                                > Wootton tonight.Allan was a long time member of I.M.U.C. and one of my
                                > closest friends. I don't have any details right now as to funeral
                                > arrangements . When I do I'll let people know.
                                > Until then
                                > John Harris

                                Peter Monahan
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 2, 2004
                                  My Friends , it is with sad heart that I inform you of the passing of Allan
                                  Wootton tonight.Allan was a long time member of I.M.U.C. and one of my
                                  closest friends. I don't have any details right now as to funeral
                                  arrangements . When I do I'll let people know.

                                  May I add my name and the name of the Crown Forces
                                  North America (Staff) to those who send sympathies to
                                  the family.

                                  Allan shall be missed.

                                  "Happy to meet, sorry to part, happy to meet again"

                                  Commanders, Please Inform your Unit members

                                  Your Humble Servant

                                  L. Lozon
                                  AdC - DAG &c.,
                                  Crown Forces
                                • capt_haha
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 2, 2004
                                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Harris" <jharris@p...> wrote:
                                    > My Friends , it is with sad heart that I inform you of the passing
                                    of Allan
                                    > Wootton tonight.Allan was a long time member of I.M.U.C. and one of
                                    my
                                    > closest friends. I don't have any details right now as to funeral
                                    > arrangements . When I do I'll let people know.
                                    > Until then
                                    > John Harris

                                    Our hobby has lost far too many men from the field of
                                    honor this past year. They will remain with us always.
                                    On behalf of the Norfolk Militia Heritage Regiment please
                                    extend our thoughts and condolences to both Malcom and
                                    Marie for their loss.
                                    Larry Hanna
                                    Cptn. Norfolk Militia
                                  • Dale Kidd
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 2, 2004
                                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Harris" <jharris@p...> wrote:
                                      > My Friends , it is with sad heart that I inform you of the passing
                                      of Allan
                                      > Wootton tonight.Allan was a long time member of I.M.U.C. and one of
                                      my
                                      > closest friends. I don't have any details right now as to funeral
                                      > arrangements . When I do I'll let people know.
                                      > Until then
                                      > John Harris

                                      Deepest condolences to all of Allan's family and friends. Our
                                      thoughts will be with you all in the coming days.

                                      Sincerely,

                                      Seaman Dale Kidd,
                                      Allison (Seaman Allistair McMahon) Ritchie, and
                                      Midshipman James Whyte

                                      Upper Canada Provincial Marine, Amherstburg.
                                    • J.Bruce Whittaker
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 3, 2004
                                        I would like to express my sympathies and condolonces on the passing
                                        of Allan Wooton. I did not know him well but his good humour and
                                        affability at the Lake Simcoe Heritage Faire and Militia Muster this
                                        past June where he called our Saturday battle and "hosted" our small
                                        1812 fashion show certainly helped make our small event the success
                                        it was.
                                        I know he will be missed. To Allan's family and to my friends in the
                                        Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada please know that our thoughts
                                        are with you.
                                        Bruce Whittaker and Family
                                      • lalozon
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 3, 2005
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 3, 2005
                                            Please relay my, and all the 93rd's, best wishes and hopes to Dale.
                                            To be blunt -- that sucks.
                                            To be a friend -- he is in our prayers.

                                            >      Dale Moudra went in for a transplant at 10:30 last night.
                                            > They found he had an infection and would not do the procedure.
                                            > Liver went to someone else. He was crushed, they both were terribly
                                            > disappointed.
                                            > He is still in the hospital.
                                            >
                                            > Ken

                                            93rd SHRoFLHU
                                            THE Thin Red Line
                                            www.93rdhighlanders.com

                                          • Lalozon
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jul 21, 2006
                                              It is with sadness I report the passing of

                                              John White - re-enactor - Mississinewa Battlefield Society

                                              Mr. White died July 7 at Springfield, IL. of pancreatic cancer.
                                              John was a mainstay in the Native American Village at Mississinewa 1812
                                              events

                                              John White shall be remembered during the Annual Memorial Service July 30
                                              with the others who have passed since our last meeting at Fort Niagara.

                                              Yrs.,
                                              Larry Lozon
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 5, 2006
                                                I am sad to report

                                                Peter Twist's Father passed away Friday, September 01,
                                                2006.
                                                He had been in the hospital most of August.
                                                A private funeral service was held early Tues. Sept.
                                                5th. 2006

                                                Our Sympathy to the Twist family

                                                Larry Lozon

                                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                              • Susan Spencer
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 10, 2006
                                                  I am sorry to have to pass on the news that the father of Richard Allen, proprietor of Four and Twenty Blackbirds, passed away in hospital last night after a long and difficult illness. A private funeral will be held shortly.

                                                  Please send good thoughts to Gayle and Richard and their children, Paul and Jason, for strength and comfort in this difficult time. They have been at the hospital steadily for the last two weeks, and now need some time to rest and recuperate a bit, so please hold off on any telephone calls for a couple of days. If you wish, condolences may be sent to: fourandtwentyblackbirds@....

                                                  In sadness,

                                                  -- Sioux
                                                • Chris
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Sep 11, 2006
                                                    My Prayers go out to you my friend my family is always here for you
                                                    any time.from my family to your's Peace go with you
                                                    sign Chris Wilkinson
                                                  • jbwhittaker
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 7, 2013
                                                      This so much more eloquent than my post and truly speaks of Nancy. Thank you Kim for these words.
                                                      Bruce

                                                      Seko Akwekon, Hello All,

                                                      It is hard to tell you and with great sorrow to tell you that Nancy Jensen has crossed over. She was a stalwart companion to Bert Summerhaze, a reenactor for several years, and a dear friend to all who knew her. Her helpful bag of goodies at camp were always there and freely given as were her sunny smiles. Nancy will be sorely missed in the Native Allies camp. Nancy also was a stalwart, contributing member of the British Native Allies and, later, The Upper Canada Native Allies; one of the last times that I saw her, she, amongst others had their hands dirty in clay mud, making pottery in the old way with coils...we still have to pit fire these; and will do so to honour the lady!
                                                      Our condolences, Bert.

                                                      Onen kiwahi, be seeing you, Kim Lundberg

                                                      This from Bert:

                                                      .....Nancy had been sick with mesothelioma for the past six months . It had been a up hill struggle to beat this horrible disease . Yesterday she was taken by
                                                      ambulance to South Lake Hospital where she passed this morning at
                                                      around 8;00 If anyone is interested in coming to honour her passing it
                                                      will be In Sutton Forrest and Taylor funeral home (# 905-722-3274)
                                                      on Tuesday, Feb. 12 at 2 pm.
                                                    • roy winders
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 7, 2013
                                                        Kim,
                                                        on behalf of my unit, would you please extend our most heartfelt sympathies to Bert.
                                                        Thanks.
                                                        Roy.