Re: 104th

  • colsjtjones2000@yahoo.ca
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
      --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Ibbotson, Mark [LSS]"
      <m.ibbotson@l...> wrote:
      > Ive just been reeding the memoirs of LeCouter. I was wondering if
      any re-enactment group has attempted the winter march by the 104th
      to "kingston from Quebec" At least thats what i recall it as been.

      > Also do any groups intend trying this in the future. Sounds like
      somthing i wish to try.

      > cheers
      > Ibbo

      To all you masochists - why not do the whole thing - St John to
      Quebec - then Quebec to Kingston? If it's worth doing, it's worth
      doing right! Current winters are not as severe as the original, and
      would avoid the heat mentioned by Jesse. But please count me out.
      Unfortunately I don't appeciate death marches of any kind. Doug
    • tracyforsyth@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
        Hi all

        A bike ride from Brocks Monument to Fort George made our family
        appreciate the amount of walking done by soldiers of the War of 1812.
        (Approx.9 miles for those who live across the pond.)

        I would like to walk the 32 miles Laura Secord walked to warn
        FitzGibbons however I think it would take me at least a week to
        complete the hike!

        Tracy Forsyth spectator

        Looking forward to seeing some of you this weekend at Stoney
        Creek...which our family is driving too....Walking is not a part of
        autenticity we want to practise at this present time...
      • Ibbotson, Mark [LSS]
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
          We are like the children of Isreal, we must march 40 years before we stop. I understand his agony.

          Ive plodded along on some long marches myself in my days but this one seems to inspire me.
          To attempt it in full 1812 kit with no mod-cons, just what they had and how they did it.

          I'm personaly not a re-enactments enthusiast, mainly because i have never been to one.

          But if i was to have a first it would be a bash at this the fabulous winter march of the 104th.

          I'm even tempted to start looking for a sponsour so if any of you guys are stuck for those winter months then get yourselves in shape.
          We may have a long march ahead of us.

          Ibbo
        • Maxine Trottier
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 5, 2001
            Greetings. I hope this hasn't been posted. I looked in the archives and
            didn't see it, but here is DANFS online.
            http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/

            I found this on maneuverability.
            http://www.bridlepath.demon.co.uk/engtex.htm

            Max

            Maxine Trottier
            maxitrot@...
            http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm

          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 5, 2001
              Hey Max! with all this Navy stuff going on I have been thinking about you. Haven't heard from you in a while. How's things? When are we going to see that new book?
            • Maxine Trottier
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 5, 2001
                It's out as of October, Kevin. "Under a Shooting Star", Stoddart. I've been
                involved in another century but a kind gentleman told me that things were
                become quite nautical here and so I got back on.

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 5, 2001
                  was that King Lar contemplating his naval again?

                  Maxine Trottier wrote:

                  > but a kind gentleman told me that things were become quite nautical here and so I got back on.
                  >
                  > Max

                • Mark Ibbotson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 20, 2002
                    Its gettting to that season again, anyone who is interested in the famous
                    winter march of the 104th, Ill be able in about 2 year max. Definately game
                    for it over here.

                    Ibbo
                    UBIQUE

                    freezing cold miserable and wet, oh how we love soldiering.

                    http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_advancedjmf_3mf
                  • glifencible <glifencibles@rogers.com>
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 26, 2002
                      > Its gettting to that season again, anyone who is interested in the
                      famous winter march of the 104th...

                      I'm game, lets do it in July.