RE: [WarOf1812] 104th

  • Bateman, Andrew
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1 8:07 AM

      Andrew writes:

      Now that's HARDCORE! I remember Dave Webb musing about re-creating the
      retreat from Fort Malden to Moraviantown, but that project pales next to
      this one. One of the things somewhere on my "to do" list is a period-style
      trek or march in the 1812 period - I've done a couple of them in Civil War
      and they are great experiences. For practical purposes it should be no
      longer than a weekend, though. My ears remain open if anything like that is
      going on.

      Andrew Bateman, 1/41st
    • Scott Jeznach
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1 8:19 AM

        > > Ive just been reeding the memoirs of LeCouter. I was
        > > wondering if any re-enactment group has attempted the winter
        > > march by the 104th to "kingston from Quebec" At least thats
        > > what i recall it as been.
        >
        > Andrew writes:
        >
        > Now that's HARDCORE! I remember Dave Webb musing about re-creating the
        > retreat from Fort Malden to Moraviantown, but that project pales next to
        > this one. One of the things somewhere on my "to do" list is a
        period-style
        > trek or march in the 1812 period - I've done a couple of them in Civil War
        > and they are great experiences. For practical purposes it should be no
        > longer than a weekend, though. My ears remain open if anything like that
        is
        > going on.

        Being old enough to have participated in the American Revolution
        Bicentennial reenactments, I recall two marches: the Continental Army
        retreat through New Jersey, and the Continental Army march between Savannah
        and Charleston. Both were done by having the reenactors march during
        consecutive weekends. Whichever town the reenactors passed through usually
        provided a little administrative support through their police departments
        etc.

        Perhaps this is how the Quebec, etc march could be logisitically handled.

        Scott J.
        Royal Marines
      • colsjtjones2000@yahoo.ca
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1 12:31 PM
          --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Ibbotson, Mark [LSS]"
          <m.ibbotson@l...> wrote:
          > Ive just been reeding the memoirs of LeCouter. I was wondering if
          any re-enactment group has attempted the winter march by the 104th
          to "kingston from Quebec" At least thats what i recall it as been.

          > Also do any groups intend trying this in the future. Sounds like
          somthing i wish to try.

          > cheers
          > Ibbo

          To all you masochists - why not do the whole thing - St John to
          Quebec - then Quebec to Kingston? If it's worth doing, it's worth
          doing right! Current winters are not as severe as the original, and
          would avoid the heat mentioned by Jesse. But please count me out.
          Unfortunately I don't appeciate death marches of any kind. Doug
        • tracyforsyth@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1 8:27 PM
            Hi all

            A bike ride from Brocks Monument to Fort George made our family
            appreciate the amount of walking done by soldiers of the War of 1812.
            (Approx.9 miles for those who live across the pond.)

            I would like to walk the 32 miles Laura Secord walked to warn
            FitzGibbons however I think it would take me at least a week to
            complete the hike!

            Tracy Forsyth spectator

            Looking forward to seeing some of you this weekend at Stoney
            Creek...which our family is driving too....Walking is not a part of
            autenticity we want to practise at this present time...
          • Ibbotson, Mark [LSS]
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 4 4:29 AM
              We are like the children of Isreal, we must march 40 years before we stop. I understand his agony.

              Ive plodded along on some long marches myself in my days but this one seems to inspire me.
              To attempt it in full 1812 kit with no mod-cons, just what they had and how they did it.

              I'm personaly not a re-enactments enthusiast, mainly because i have never been to one.

              But if i was to have a first it would be a bash at this the fabulous winter march of the 104th.

              I'm even tempted to start looking for a sponsour so if any of you guys are stuck for those winter months then get yourselves in shape.
              We may have a long march ahead of us.

              Ibbo
            • Maxine Trottier
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 5, 2001
                Greetings. I hope this hasn't been posted. I looked in the archives and
                didn't see it, but here is DANFS online.
                http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/

                I found this on maneuverability.
                http://www.bridlepath.demon.co.uk/engtex.htm

                Max

                Maxine Trottier
                maxitrot@...
                http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm

              • Kevin Windsor
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 5, 2001
                  Hey Max! with all this Navy stuff going on I have been thinking about you. Haven't heard from you in a while. How's things? When are we going to see that new book?
                • Maxine Trottier
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 5, 2001
                    It's out as of October, Kevin. "Under a Shooting Star", Stoddart. I've been
                    involved in another century but a kind gentleman told me that things were
                    become quite nautical here and so I got back on.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 5, 2001
                      was that King Lar contemplating his naval again?

                      Maxine Trottier wrote:

                      > but a kind gentleman told me that things were become quite nautical here and so I got back on.
                      >
                      > Max

                    • Mark Ibbotson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 20, 2002
                        Its gettting to that season again, anyone who is interested in the famous
                        winter march of the 104th, Ill be able in about 2 year max. Definately game
                        for it over here.

                        Ibbo
                        UBIQUE

                        freezing cold miserable and wet, oh how we love soldiering.

                        http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_advancedjmf_3mf
                      • glifencible <glifencibles@rogers.com>
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 26, 2002
                          > Its gettting to that season again, anyone who is interested in the
                          famous winter march of the 104th...

                          I'm game, lets do it in July.