Re: [WarOf1812] Last battle.

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , May 6, 2001
      In a message dated 5/6/2001 3:10:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
      maxitrot@... writes:

      << Yes; they were still fighting here and a treaty had been signed in Europe.

      But not ratified! The peace treaty did nor arrive in Washington for US
      ratification until 14th of February 1815. President Madison declared the war
      at an end on February 17th.

      The upshot of this is that the war was NOT over when the Battle of New
      Orleans was fought.

    • TheGoldenAge72@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , May 6, 2001
        Tim, thank you. Do you know if the battle had a name?

        Sincerely,
        Darren Freeman.

      • spikeyj@crosslink.net
        Message 3 of 16 , May 6, 2001
          On Sun, 6 May 2001 BritcomHMP@... wrote:

          > << I am not sure about this. Before the peace treaty was signed, there was
          > one
          > last battle. The Battle of New Orleans, right? I cannot remember that. I
          > know
          > it was led by Andrew Jackson. >>
          >
          > Actually the last battle was the capture of Fort Bowyer, Mobile Bay, 10th of
          > February 1815. A British victory.

          Last land battle; naval engagements were still being fought around the
          world months later as word of peace slowly propagated.

          Spike Y Jones
        • Armchairadm@cs.com
          Message 4 of 16 , May 7, 2001
            It should be notted that due to the slow pace of communications, there were a
            number of naval action after the official close of hostilities.
            Among them; "Constitution's" victory over the "Cyane" and "Lavant" on
            February 20th, 1815 and the "Peacock's" capture of the HEIC armed brig
            "Nautilus" on the 1st of July, 1815.

            Ed

          • HQ93rd@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , May 7, 2001
              TheGoldenAge72@...<< I am not sure about this. Before the peace treaty
              was signed, there was

              Britcomhmp@...> Actually the last battle was the capture of Fort Bowyer,

              spikeyj@...>>Last land battle; naval engagements were still being
              fought around the
              world months later as word of peace slowly propagated. >>

              I also recall reading recently (and cannot find it for the life of me) that
              were also several small engagements as well as landings and raids after the
              date of the capture of Ft Bowyer, along the Georgia (?) coast and perhaps
              elsewhere on the East coast.

            • HQ93rd@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , May 7, 2001
                In a message dated 5/6/01 12:57:03 PM, TheGoldenAge72@... writes:

                << I am not sure about this. Before the peace treaty was signed, there was
                one
                last battle. The Battle of New Orleans, right? I cannot remember that. I know
                it was led by Andrew Jackson. >>

                The Treaty of Ghent was signed Dec. 24th, 1814. The "battle" (actually a
                campaign) of New Orleans took place about from Dec 23, 1814 through January
                19, 1815 (the day when the Brits had completely withdrawn back to the ships).
                Several major actions occurred during that time, with the most famous being
                the last failed assault by the Brits on Jan 8.
                The Treaty was not valid until it had been ratified by both Parliament and
                the US Congress. Because of the longer time involved back then of sea travel
                and sending news, the US would not ratify it until Feb. 17 (if I recall that
                date right, off hand).
                The Brit force that attacked New Orleans and captured Ft Bowyer received news
                of the Treaty about the same time as it was finally being ratified in
                Coingress.

                93rd SHRoFLHU
                www.93rdhighlanders.com
                THE Thin Red LIne
              • easeufe@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , May 7, 2001
                  In a message dated 5/7/01 5:29:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, HQ93rd@...
                  writes:

                  > were also several small engagements as well as landings and raids after the
                  > date of the capture of Ft Bowyer, along the Georgia (?) coast and perhaps
                  > elsewhere on the East coast.

                  Cumberland Island on the coast of Georgia was occupied on 10 January 1815.
                  On 12 January, a fort located at Point Pitre (Petre) was attacked and taken.
                  Later that night, the town of St. Mary's was also taken. By 24 January, all
                  forces had returned to Cumberland Island and proceeded to fortify it. Except
                  for small excursions up the various rivers in the area, no major actions took
                  place. On 10 March, having been notified that the peace treaty was ratified,
                  the troops emabarked for Bermuda. Units involved in this operation were the
                  1st, 2nd and 3rd Battalions, Royal Marines; Royal Marine Artillery; 2nd West
                  India Regiment and Royal West India Rangers.

                  Ed Seufert, LCpl
                  1812 Royal Marines

                • Roger Marsh
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 8, 2001
                    Just a word to introduce myself, as requested by the Owner.

                    I am an 18thC-early 19thC Naval History enthusiast, a frigate man at
                    heart (think I must have been an RN Post Captain in a previous
                    incarnation!), which is why the 1812 war is, evidently, of
                    considerable interest, the naval war having been almost entirely as a
                    frigate and sloop war, a comparitively minor Naval war as it was,
                    fought primarily between small naval forces and vessels on both sides.

                    I live in Hampshire, England the Naval county par excellence; though
                    not a dedicated re-enactor, I do put on uniform from time to time for
                    the International Festivals of The Sea, great maritime festivals, the
                    next of which is in Portsmouth Historic Naval Base this coming August
                    (see website at http://www.festivalofthesea.co.uk/

                    I am campaigning to get a British replica frigate built - well, not a
                    true frigate, too small, but a proper little quarter-decked ship-
                    rigged mini-frigate, probably "Atalanta" (14, later 16) of 1775-1801,
                    which took an active part in the earlier American war and, indeed,
                    spent a year in American hands, having fought but surrendered to
                    superior force, before being retaken. In the meantime, I have to
                    content myself with sailing working models, the latest project
                    being "Lowestoffe" of 1761-1801, built to 1:48 from Slade's original
                    1760 drafts (young Nelson's first appointment as a 17-year-old
                    Lieutenant, 2nd, in 1777 under Wm. Locker, on the West Indies
                    station; I shall portay her as at 10.00 am, by Locker's log, on 1st
                    November 1777, in the act of taking a smaller American privateer in
                    windy conditions off Cape Maize, at that moment "firing a Swivel,
                    Shott'd, to Bring the Chace too").

                    I know less about the land campaigns, and hope to learn more here. I
                    look forward to reading y'all

                    Regards,

                    Roger Marsh
                    Hampshire, England
                  • Maxine Trottier
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 8, 2001
                      Greetings, sir. It is a pleasure to see the nautical contingent slowly increasing
                      here.

                      Max

                      Max

                      Maxine Trottier
                      maxitrot@...
                      http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm

                      ----------
                      Powered by Execulink WebMail - WeConnect!
                      http://www.execulink.com
                    • Roger Marsh
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 8, 2001
                        Why, thank you, Ma'am.

                        I look forward to the Honour and pleasure of the Company of all of
                        you and remain, believe me, Ma'ams and Sirs, your most Humble and
                        Obd't Servant

                        Roger Marsh

                        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Maxine Trottier" <maxitrot@e...> wrote:
                        > Greetings, sir. It is a pleasure to see the nautical contingent
                        slowly increasing
                        > here.
                        >
                        > Max
                        >
                        > Max
                        >
                        > Maxine Trottier
                        > maxitrot@e...
                        > http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
                        >
                        > ----------
                        > Powered by Execulink WebMail - WeConnect!
                        > http://www.execulink.com
                      • Robb Jackson
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 8, 2001
                          --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Roger Marsh" <frigates@m...> wrote:
                          > Just a word to introduce myself, as requested by the Owner.
                          >
                          > I am an 18thC-early 19thC Naval History enthusiast, a frigate man
                          at heart (think I must have been an RN Post Captain in a previous
                          > incarnation!), which is why the 1812 war is, evidently, of
                          > considerable interest, the naval war having been almost entirely as
                          a frigate and sloop war, a comparitively minor Naval war as it was,
                          > fought primarily between small naval forces and vessels on both
                          sides.

                          <SNIP>
                          > I am campaigning to get a British replica frigate built - well, not
                          a true frigate, too small, but a proper little quarter-decked ship-
                          > rigged mini-frigate, probably "Atalanta" (14, later 16) of 1775-
                          1801, > which took an active part in the earlier American war and,
                          indeed,> spent a year in American hands, having fought but
                          surrendered to superior force, before being retaken. In the meantime,
                          I have to content myself with sailing working models
                          <SNIP>
                          > I know less about the land campaigns, and hope to learn more here.
                          I look forward to reading y'all

                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > Roger Marsh
                          > Hampshire, England

                          Greetings Roger,

                          I thought this would be of interest to you as well as the rest of the
                          group. An actual ship being built for 1812 living history.

                          http://www.privateerlynx.org/living.htm

                          Robb Jackson
                          Marine Guard 1812
                        • Roger Marsh
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 8, 2001
                            Very interesting, Robb, thanks for that one to add to my collection
                            of historic replicas at sea or in build; a nice little topsail
                            schooner, somewhat reminiscent of the lovely "Pride of Baltimore" or
                            the superb French "La Recouvrance".

                            Well, Sir, if I ever get "Atalanta" to sea, I shall have to fire a
                            Bow-Chaser, shott'd, to Bring her Too, if I can catch her!

                            You may be interested in another 1812 privateer on which I have in
                            fact sailed, this one a French cutter, the Malouin "Le Renard";
                            details at the site of L'Association du Cotre Corsaire,

                            http://www.saint-malo-gallery.com/cotre/

                            I had the pleasure of helming her back into St-Malo last August, at
                            the tiller with all square canvas set as we ran into the harbour at
                            sunset, loosing off a shot from one of the larboard carronades as we
                            passed the old fort, by way of a signal. Magic.

                            Regards,

                            Roger Marsh