Last battle.

  • TheGoldenAge72@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , May 6, 2001
      I am not sure about this. Before the peace treaty was signed, there was one
      last battle. The Battle of New Orleans, right? I cannot remember that. I know
      it was led by Andrew Jackson.

      Sincerely,
      Darren Freeman.

    • Maxine Trottier
      Message 2 of 16 , May 6, 2001
        Yes; they were still fighting here and a treaty had been signed in Europe.

        Max

      • TheGoldenAge72@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , May 6, 2001
          Thank you, Max.

          Sincerely,
          Darren Freeman.

        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , May 6, 2001
            In a message dated 5/6/2001 2:57:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
            TheGoldenAge72@... writes:

            << I am not sure about this. Before the peace treaty was signed, there was
            one
            last battle. The Battle of New Orleans, right? I cannot remember that. I
            know
            it was led by Andrew Jackson. >>

            Actually the last battle was the capture of Fort Bowyer, Mobile Bay, 10th of
            February 1815. A British victory.

          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , May 6, 2001
              In a message dated 5/6/2001 3:10:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
              maxitrot@... writes:

              << Yes; they were still fighting here and a treaty had been signed in Europe.

              But not ratified! The peace treaty did nor arrive in Washington for US
              ratification until 14th of February 1815. President Madison declared the war
              at an end on February 17th.

              The upshot of this is that the war was NOT over when the Battle of New
              Orleans was fought.

            • TheGoldenAge72@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , May 6, 2001
                Tim, thank you. Do you know if the battle had a name?

                Sincerely,
                Darren Freeman.

              • spikeyj@crosslink.net
                Message 7 of 16 , May 6, 2001
                  On Sun, 6 May 2001 BritcomHMP@... wrote:

                  > << I am not sure about this. Before the peace treaty was signed, there was
                  > one
                  > last battle. The Battle of New Orleans, right? I cannot remember that. I
                  > know
                  > it was led by Andrew Jackson. >>
                  >
                  > Actually the last battle was the capture of Fort Bowyer, Mobile Bay, 10th of
                  > February 1815. A British victory.

                  Last land battle; naval engagements were still being fought around the
                  world months later as word of peace slowly propagated.

                  Spike Y Jones
                • Armchairadm@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 7, 2001
                    It should be notted that due to the slow pace of communications, there were a
                    number of naval action after the official close of hostilities.
                    Among them; "Constitution's" victory over the "Cyane" and "Lavant" on
                    February 20th, 1815 and the "Peacock's" capture of the HEIC armed brig
                    "Nautilus" on the 1st of July, 1815.

                    Ed

                  • HQ93rd@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 7, 2001
                      TheGoldenAge72@...<< I am not sure about this. Before the peace treaty
                      was signed, there was

                      Britcomhmp@...> Actually the last battle was the capture of Fort Bowyer,

                      spikeyj@...>>Last land battle; naval engagements were still being
                      fought around the
                      world months later as word of peace slowly propagated. >>

                      I also recall reading recently (and cannot find it for the life of me) that
                      were also several small engagements as well as landings and raids after the
                      date of the capture of Ft Bowyer, along the Georgia (?) coast and perhaps
                      elsewhere on the East coast.

                    • HQ93rd@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 7, 2001
                        In a message dated 5/6/01 12:57:03 PM, TheGoldenAge72@... writes:

                        << I am not sure about this. Before the peace treaty was signed, there was
                        one
                        last battle. The Battle of New Orleans, right? I cannot remember that. I know
                        it was led by Andrew Jackson. >>

                        The Treaty of Ghent was signed Dec. 24th, 1814. The "battle" (actually a
                        campaign) of New Orleans took place about from Dec 23, 1814 through January
                        19, 1815 (the day when the Brits had completely withdrawn back to the ships).
                        Several major actions occurred during that time, with the most famous being
                        the last failed assault by the Brits on Jan 8.
                        The Treaty was not valid until it had been ratified by both Parliament and
                        the US Congress. Because of the longer time involved back then of sea travel
                        and sending news, the US would not ratify it until Feb. 17 (if I recall that
                        date right, off hand).
                        The Brit force that attacked New Orleans and captured Ft Bowyer received news
                        of the Treaty about the same time as it was finally being ratified in
                        Coingress.

                        93rd SHRoFLHU
                        www.93rdhighlanders.com
                        THE Thin Red LIne
                      • easeufe@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 7, 2001
                          In a message dated 5/7/01 5:29:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, HQ93rd@...
                          writes:

                          > were also several small engagements as well as landings and raids after the
                          > date of the capture of Ft Bowyer, along the Georgia (?) coast and perhaps
                          > elsewhere on the East coast.

                          Cumberland Island on the coast of Georgia was occupied on 10 January 1815.
                          On 12 January, a fort located at Point Pitre (Petre) was attacked and taken.
                          Later that night, the town of St. Mary's was also taken. By 24 January, all
                          forces had returned to Cumberland Island and proceeded to fortify it. Except
                          for small excursions up the various rivers in the area, no major actions took
                          place. On 10 March, having been notified that the peace treaty was ratified,
                          the troops emabarked for Bermuda. Units involved in this operation were the
                          1st, 2nd and 3rd Battalions, Royal Marines; Royal Marine Artillery; 2nd West
                          India Regiment and Royal West India Rangers.

                          Ed Seufert, LCpl
                          1812 Royal Marines

                        • Roger Marsh
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 8, 2001
                            Just a word to introduce myself, as requested by the Owner.

                            I am an 18thC-early 19thC Naval History enthusiast, a frigate man at
                            heart (think I must have been an RN Post Captain in a previous
                            incarnation!), which is why the 1812 war is, evidently, of
                            considerable interest, the naval war having been almost entirely as a
                            frigate and sloop war, a comparitively minor Naval war as it was,
                            fought primarily between small naval forces and vessels on both sides.

                            I live in Hampshire, England the Naval county par excellence; though
                            not a dedicated re-enactor, I do put on uniform from time to time for
                            the International Festivals of The Sea, great maritime festivals, the
                            next of which is in Portsmouth Historic Naval Base this coming August
                            (see website at http://www.festivalofthesea.co.uk/

                            I am campaigning to get a British replica frigate built - well, not a
                            true frigate, too small, but a proper little quarter-decked ship-
                            rigged mini-frigate, probably "Atalanta" (14, later 16) of 1775-1801,
                            which took an active part in the earlier American war and, indeed,
                            spent a year in American hands, having fought but surrendered to
                            superior force, before being retaken. In the meantime, I have to
                            content myself with sailing working models, the latest project
                            being "Lowestoffe" of 1761-1801, built to 1:48 from Slade's original
                            1760 drafts (young Nelson's first appointment as a 17-year-old
                            Lieutenant, 2nd, in 1777 under Wm. Locker, on the West Indies
                            station; I shall portay her as at 10.00 am, by Locker's log, on 1st
                            November 1777, in the act of taking a smaller American privateer in
                            windy conditions off Cape Maize, at that moment "firing a Swivel,
                            Shott'd, to Bring the Chace too").

                            I know less about the land campaigns, and hope to learn more here. I
                            look forward to reading y'all

                            Regards,

                            Roger Marsh
                            Hampshire, England
                          • Maxine Trottier
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 8, 2001
                              Greetings, sir. It is a pleasure to see the nautical contingent slowly increasing
                              here.

                              Max

                              Max

                              Maxine Trottier
                              maxitrot@...
                              http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm

                              ----------
                              Powered by Execulink WebMail - WeConnect!
                              http://www.execulink.com
                            • Roger Marsh
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 8, 2001
                                Why, thank you, Ma'am.

                                I look forward to the Honour and pleasure of the Company of all of
                                you and remain, believe me, Ma'ams and Sirs, your most Humble and
                                Obd't Servant

                                Roger Marsh

                                --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Maxine Trottier" <maxitrot@e...> wrote:
                                > Greetings, sir. It is a pleasure to see the nautical contingent
                                slowly increasing
                                > here.
                                >
                                > Max
                                >
                                > Max
                                >
                                > Maxine Trottier
                                > maxitrot@e...
                                > http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
                                >
                                > ----------
                                > Powered by Execulink WebMail - WeConnect!
                                > http://www.execulink.com
                              • Robb Jackson
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 8, 2001
                                  --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Roger Marsh" <frigates@m...> wrote:
                                  > Just a word to introduce myself, as requested by the Owner.
                                  >
                                  > I am an 18thC-early 19thC Naval History enthusiast, a frigate man
                                  at heart (think I must have been an RN Post Captain in a previous
                                  > incarnation!), which is why the 1812 war is, evidently, of
                                  > considerable interest, the naval war having been almost entirely as
                                  a frigate and sloop war, a comparitively minor Naval war as it was,
                                  > fought primarily between small naval forces and vessels on both
                                  sides.

                                  <SNIP>
                                  > I am campaigning to get a British replica frigate built - well, not
                                  a true frigate, too small, but a proper little quarter-decked ship-
                                  > rigged mini-frigate, probably "Atalanta" (14, later 16) of 1775-
                                  1801, > which took an active part in the earlier American war and,
                                  indeed,> spent a year in American hands, having fought but
                                  surrendered to superior force, before being retaken. In the meantime,
                                  I have to content myself with sailing working models
                                  <SNIP>
                                  > I know less about the land campaigns, and hope to learn more here.
                                  I look forward to reading y'all

                                  > Regards,
                                  >
                                  > Roger Marsh
                                  > Hampshire, England

                                  Greetings Roger,

                                  I thought this would be of interest to you as well as the rest of the
                                  group. An actual ship being built for 1812 living history.

                                  http://www.privateerlynx.org/living.htm

                                  Robb Jackson
                                  Marine Guard 1812
                                • Roger Marsh
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 8, 2001
                                    Very interesting, Robb, thanks for that one to add to my collection
                                    of historic replicas at sea or in build; a nice little topsail
                                    schooner, somewhat reminiscent of the lovely "Pride of Baltimore" or
                                    the superb French "La Recouvrance".

                                    Well, Sir, if I ever get "Atalanta" to sea, I shall have to fire a
                                    Bow-Chaser, shott'd, to Bring her Too, if I can catch her!

                                    You may be interested in another 1812 privateer on which I have in
                                    fact sailed, this one a French cutter, the Malouin "Le Renard";
                                    details at the site of L'Association du Cotre Corsaire,

                                    http://www.saint-malo-gallery.com/cotre/

                                    I had the pleasure of helming her back into St-Malo last August, at
                                    the tiller with all square canvas set as we ran into the harbour at
                                    sunset, loosing off a shot from one of the larboard carronades as we
                                    passed the old fort, by way of a signal. Magic.

                                    Regards,

                                    Roger Marsh