Re: [WarOf1812] question about American Revolution

  • spikeyj@crosslink.net
    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2001
      On Sat, 5 May 2001, Rob Taylor wrote:

      > Hello List: I was wondering if someone might tell me
      > why was the American regular forces that fought in the
      > American Revolution called the'Continental Army'?

      Immediate answer: The Continental Army was under the direct command of
      the Continental Congress, as opposed to the state militias which were
      under local control.

      The question then becomes, why was the Continental Congress called the
      Continental Congress? My guess is that it was an attempt to be
      all-inclusive, since the Congress was still trying to persuade the
      Canadian colonies to join in the protest against England in 1775.

      Spike Y Jones
    • Sue Draper
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5, 2001
        Because they were hired by the Continental Congress.

        T.Mac

        Hello List: I was wondering if someone might tell me
        why was the American regular forces that fought in the
        American Revolution called the'Continental Army'?

        Thanks
        Rob Taylor

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Scott Jeznach
        Message 3 of 11 , May 7, 2001
          > Hello List: I was wondering if someone might tell me
          > why was the American regular forces that fought in the
          > American Revolution called the'Continental Army'?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Rob Taylor

          Because they were authorized and funded by the Continental Congress.

          Scott J.
          Royal Marines