Re: [WarOf1812] coins

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 49 , Apr 2 4:25 AM
      Tim (Sir!)
      Max mentioned that she was interested in a Militia Officer's wife. They were certainly not under the regulations regarding religion in the British Army. Out of
      necessity, Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians, Catholics all held rank in the Militia units in the Canadas, without penalty. There were so few resident Anglicans in
      the Provinces.
      For the 'Foreign Brigade' - de Meuron, de Watteville, Voltigeurs - there was even an official RC Chaplain, Fr. Jaques de LaMothe, appointed by the Bishop of Quebec,
      and approved by Prevost. Weren't a large number of the Glengarries RC?
      Lower Canada Roman Catholics had been given freedom to continue their religious affiliation before the war - something which was not done in England at the time.
      My loonie's worth
      Ray Hobbs
      1/41st

      BritcomHMP@... wrote:

      > I think again it would not be something
      > that would be done publicly, if only because of the ban on Catholics in the
      > officer ranks of the army (those that served kept their true religion
      > secret). It would be natural to do nothing that might jepordise your husbands
      > standing in public, an early version of 'don't ask, don't tell!
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Tim

    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 19, 2012
        The Royal Canadian Mint has just released its 2012 Silver Proof set to
        commemorate the bicentennial of the War of 1812. To check out the design or
        order a set, just go to the Royal Canadian Mint website. The reverse has
        the image of a First Nations warrior, a Voltigeur, and a British officer.

        Mark Dickerson