Re: [WarOf1812] Huzzah?

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2 4:14 AM
      One suggestion I heard is that 'huzzah' was the original, and 'hurrah' grew out of it. 'Huzzah' is thought by some to come from a Middle English word 'hisse', to pull
      up, heave, and the same root from which we get 'hoist'.
      It could then be used as a shout of workers, sailors etc. acting in concert to pull something - a common phenomenon.
      'One, two, three - h....!'
      There are probably hundreds of other explanations.
      Ray Hobbs
      1/41st

      BTW: Saw the preview for the next 'Hornblower' series on A & E. Looks very nice. Begins April 8th.