PROVOST CORPS

    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 2 7:46 AM
      From: chimera1@...

      Larry, some good info and points.
      But the BAR have a PROVOST
      CORPS??? I rest my case.
      ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

      Not so fast Councillor ........

      If we have an Umbrellie Groop, we
      could also have or appoint a unit
      to act as ..... a PROVOST CORPS.

    • chimera1@sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 2 2:56 PM
        Howard - a Provost Corps first came up in a submission by Larry
        mentioning that the BAR's Provost Corps has the responsibility of
        enforcing the RULES. That is more than doing an impression. Do you
        want to take on that function? Doug

        --- In WarOf1812@y..., Howard <howardsimcoe@h...> wrote:
        > If not for the lack of a horse.
        > I would not mind doing an impression of the Provost Corps
        (Lieutenant
        > Colonel Scovell's MP's)
        > Does any one have any information on the Corps and equipment ?
        >
        > Howard
        >
        > Larry Lozon wrote:
        > >
        > > From: chimera1@s...
        > >
        > > Larry, some good info and points.
        > > But the BAR have a PROVOST
        > > CORPS??? I rest my case.
        > >

        > > The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of
        fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Maxine Trottier
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 4 3:49 AM
          Someone has to enforce rules. At Niagara we were in the boulangerie after
          the evening meal. Someone from another unit walked in smoking a 20th
          C.cigar. That someone was asked to leave.

          Max

        • Dave Hill
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 4 5:04 AM
            --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Maxine Trottier" <maxitrot@e...> wrote:

            Someone has to enforce rules. At Niagara we were in the boulangerie
            after the evening meal. Someone from another unit walked in smoking
            a 20th C.cigar. That someone was asked to leave.

            Max

            Max.

            I think you will find that was a function of 21st Century fire
            regulations rather than any function of authenticity.
            Every historic site I've ever visited is non-smoking. I think you
            will find that even someone with a 19th Century pipe would be asked
            to leave.

            Dave.

            p.s. How did you know the person's cigarette was over a year old?
          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 4 7:14 AM
              In a message dated 4/4/2001 6:47:31 AM Central Daylight Time,
              howardsimcoe@... writes:

              << As I said in my last message "Authority" is the key. If the Provost
              don't have that they will be told to pound salt by some. >>

              The only 'authority' here comes from an individual who is willing to take the
              heat for enforcing the rules the members of the group want enforcing. That is
              to say stopping the individual forcing his (lower) standards on the majority.
              In my opinion setting up a separate body to do this is an exercise in
              pointless bureaucracy, we already have people who historically did the job,
              they are called officers and NCO's. And again unless ALL units agree on a
              common standard (which is in effect an 'umbrella group') this discussion
              remains pointless. Meanwhile we of the NABB, while definitely not perfect,
              will continue to do what we can to maintain and improve our own standards.

            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 4 1:09 PM
                In a message dated 4/4/2001 2:46:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
                howardsimcoe@... writes:

                << It seems to me that some Officers and NCO's are not doing there jobs.
                If they were this subject would not have come up. Right? >>

                I think you may have a point with your first statement but the second doesn't
                necessarily follow. Officers & NCO's may be doing a great job, but if the
                people in charge of the site invite a farby unit, and place it along side
                good units the only thing that a unit commander can do is to refuse to take
                his men on the field. I am also reminded of an incident where I was
                'appearing' as Brit CO at a site but the site people made it very clear that
                I was not 'actually' in command and consequently gave me no actual authority
                whatsoever having their own man in 'actual' field command. This was the only
                time I can remember a walk on unit invading the field and firing, of course I
                did not know they were not invited, and had no authority to tell them to get
                lost even if I had.

                But as has been said, this is old news.

              • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 4 5:55 PM
                  In a message dated 4/4/2001 3:55:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  howardsimcoe@... writes:

                  << Yes. But that is the point their must be someone who is the expert and
                  is the all knowing one. Who knows what is what and all the safety rules
                  it is only to our own advantage to be as safe or safer than the other
                  guy right? >>

                  Quite Howard, non of us is perfect, safety is everyone's job. It is of course
                  far easier to say it is the job of a single individual on the field. It is
                  even easier to say that it is the sites responsibility. Frankly I trust a
                  fellow re-enactor who has been about a bit rather than a pal of the site
                  manager. As I have said that is why those of us who have our own, loose,
                  organisation will quietly look after ourselves come what may. :-)

                • Andrew S. Finch
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 5 10:45 AM
                    Oh Tim you are so practical and down to earth.
                    My god man next thing you know you'll be suggesting we act like adults and
                    really care about history and not our little fiefdom's and ego's.
                    I for one may not always agree with my officers and nco's but on the field
                    and in camp you if you care about 'the hobby' must obey or what is the point
                    of putting on the uniform.
                  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 13 6:56 AM
                      In a message dated 4/13/2001 3:48:47 AM Central Daylight Time,
                      howardsimcoe@... writes:

                      << It would not be a hard job given "The Provost" had the authority to in
                      force the rules.
                      But with any thing you will have people that will think they are above
                      the law and
                      "who do you think you are to tell me what and what I can't do". >>

                      Quite Howard, that is where the catch 22 comes in. The ONLY way a provost
                      corps would have the authority to police events is if all units were members
                      of an overall group and had agreed that such rules COULD be enforced. However
                      if this were to be done then the officers and NCOs would have the authority
                      to enforce the rules so a provost corps would not be needed (at least not for
                      the present numbers we have in 1812). QED, so to speak, as it were! :-)

                    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 13 8:16 PM
                        In a message dated 4/13/2001 3:02:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
                        howardsimcoe@... writes:

                        << Well by all the negative mail that has come out on this subject that it
                        will never happen.
                        There are to meney people out their that seam to think that the world is
                        flat and that is that.
                        I said before I don't need the aggravation.>>

                        Dear Howard,

                        Sorry you seem to think my pointing out the way things are is 'thinking the
                        world is flat'. However as I said very early on in this discussion, unless
                        and until ALL units agree to a common code of conduct and to individually and
                        collectively abide by those rules, talking of 'umbrella organisations' and
                        'provost corps' is an exercise in futility.

                        << So the best I can do is look out for NUMBER ONE AND FAMILY!!!!! >>

                        Well, the best I can do is continue to encourage more units to join us in the
                        NABB and use our rules and organisation, loose as it is. All I can say is
                        come on in, the waters fine :-)

                      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 14 8:14 AM
                          In a message dated 4/14/2001 9:50:28 AM Central Daylight Time,
                          howardsimcoe@... writes:

                          << You can tell people to abide by the rules but that only works when they
                          wont to.>>

                          Or when someone bothers to enforce them. Two years ago at Mississenewa I had
                          competent officers inspect all the muskets of the British troops, before the
                          action. We found 2 (or was it 3?) on which the 1/2 cock did not work, so I
                          banned them from the field. No question, no excuses (those with them
                          complained that they had flashguards and hammerstalls so they had complied
                          with the rules)!

                          << I was at event last year and was on the line with the regiment when from
                          my left cam a
                          spray of burning powder I was not the only one hit. once ok may be his
                          flash guard came louse,
                          then three more times. I called for the field commander. But the show was
                          on and nothing was done about it. That unit did no use flash guards.
                          I was going to leave the field but that would have ruined that event for
                          me. So if that is what I have to put up with I'll look out for me and
                          mine.>>

                          A spray of burning powder is produced by someone who is overpriming. If
                          flashguards did any good they would have been adopted by the army at the
                          time, they were not for good reason, they encourage sloppy loading and bad
                          practice. Unfortunately we are stuck with them because somebody thought they
                          could make muskets 'safe' by using them. They are no substitute for practice
                          and competence. If you want to see how a musket should be fired, see the
                          IMUC.

                          << Who can I complain to? No one will rock the boat and piss people off.
                          Besides who will listen to a complain from a lowly Pte newbie?

                          Your sergeant or officer. And he should IMMEDIATELY bring it up with the CO
                          of the unit that is spraying you. If the offender is not corrected, or
                          ordered to stop firing then I would expect your CO to put a gap between to
                          two units. I applaud your fortitude in staying on the field, but in that
                          circumstance with nothing being done, I think I would have taken a 'hit' and
                          gone down.
                          After the action, if your unit CO has not taken up the complaint, take it
                          direct to the overall CO.

                        • HQ93rd@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 14 11:11 AM
                            In a message dated 4/14/01 7:50:27 AM, howardsimcoe@... writes:

                            << No one will rock the boat and piss people off. >>

                            I see we must have never met.
                            ;-)

                            93rd SHRoFLHU
                            THE Thin Red Line
                            www.93rdhighlanders.com
                          • HQ93rd@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 14 11:22 AM
                              In a message dated 4/14/01 11:03:51 AM, howardsimcoe@... writes:

                              << Take a "hit"? Yes and spend the inter battle baking in the sun.
                              I joined to do a recreation of history not to sunbathe. >>

                              Hmmm..so in REAL history no one ever got shot and fell down?
                              ;-)

                              93rd SHRoFLHU
                              THE Thin Red Line
                              www.93rdhighlanders.com
                            • HQ93rd@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 14 11:25 AM
                                In a message dated 4/14/01 11:03:51 AM, howardsimcoe@... writes:

                                << I was taught that the flash guard would direct the
                                burning powder up and away from the user and away from the man next to
                                him. >>

                                Hmmmm...so how come I am always getting blasts from muskets equipped with
                                these wondrous and misnamed flashguards.
                                (Try being an officer who has to stand at the end of a line, facing said
                                line, and taking in the face every bit of powder from all those muskets which
                                miraculously makes it's way up, over and around those flashguards, then makes
                                a beeline straight for my eyes. Never fails.)
                                ;-)
                                93rd SHRoFLHU
                                THE Thin Red Line
                                www.93rdhighlanders.com
                              • Raymond Hobbs
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 14 12:34 PM
                                  Doug:
                                  I notice that some event firearms regulations strongly advise, or require flashguards. Do you attend those events, or get round the regulations somehow?
                                  Ray Hobbs
                                  1/41st

                                • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 14 12:46 PM
                                    In a message dated 4/14/2001 1:03:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                    howardsimcoe@... writes:

                                    << You know people come to do not to sit on
                                    the side lines >>

                                    If they come to an event where I am in command, and they come with dangerous
                                    arms, they will either sit on the sidelines or come on the field without
                                    firing PERIOD. And if the organizers want to relieve me of command I will
                                    happily give it up, and I will tell all the unit commander why I have given
                                    it up, and I would expect, in those circumstances there would be no action.
                                    That being said I have yet to attend ANY event where the organizers insisted
                                    on one or two unsafe people taking part over the objections of the majority.

                                    <<Take a "hit"? Yes and spend the inter battle baking in the sun.
                                    I joined to do a recreation of history not to sunbathe.>>

                                    I thought you said that your prime concern from now on would be for the
                                    safety of 'you and yours'? That hardly sounds consistent with stubbornly
                                    keeping in an unsafe situation because you don't want to sit out one battle.

                                  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 14 12:54 PM
                                      In a message dated 4/14/2001 1:50:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                      howardsimcoe@... writes:

                                      << If you are an Officer we would not meet as Officers and Men never
                                      mingle.>>

                                      What a (pardon me for the bluntness) STUPID thing to say in connection with
                                      re-enactment.

                                      << May be what is requires is a step to one side or the other or even back
                                      to get out of the way.
                                      At lest you as an officer have the luxury to move, and the mind to
                                      protect your self? >>

                                      I realize that many people think that officers just decide where they want to
                                      stand for their own convenience. However those who had read the drill manual
                                      can tell you that the position described by Mr. B is where he is SUPPOSED to
                                      stand, not for his own convenience but as ordered in the manual. If more
                                      people read that wonderful tome and practiced it, a lot of the discussion on
                                      these sort of points would not be necessary!

                                    • chimera1@sympatico.ca
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 14 3:09 PM

                                      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 14 4:34 PM
                                          In a message dated 4/14/2001 3:39:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                          howardsimcoe@... writes:

                                          << I would lindly thank you not to refer to me as stupidI take great
                                          offences to that statement if that is your attitude this conversation
                                          is ended! >>

                                          If you care to read what I say rather than looking for insults you will see
                                          that I did not call YOU stupid, I referred to your statement in that way.

                                          << If you are an Officer we would not meet as Officers and Men never
                                          mingle.>>

                                          My reply was:

                                          What a (pardon me for the bluntness) STUPID thing to say in connection with
                                          re-enactment.

                                          And it IS a stupid statement. If you think it is a sensible statement you are
                                          right, this conversation should end.
                                        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 14 4:54 PM
                                            In a message dated 4/14/2001 3:48:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                            howardsimcoe@... writes:

                                            << And let every one run wild so be it. I'll end this
                                            just let me look after myself no one will do any thing exsept bithch.
                                            If some one comes up with a good idea it is shot down before it gets
                                            going.
                                            any way the boat is rocking

                                            What good idea would that be? And how does this in any way relate to what I
                                            said? As we seem to be on completely different pages it is probably just as
                                            well the conversation is over.

                                          • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 14 5:52 PM
                                              No, me solution to tell you is joke. Is a joke, son. Me make very cllear you
                                              now. Joke. K?
                                              Wakirimas?

                                              In a message dated 4/14/01 11:53:20 AM, howardsimcoe@... writes:

                                              << So you solution is to stick you head in the dirt like they say ostriches
                                              do (they don't any way)

                                              Fix the problem then move on!

                                              Howard

                                              HQ93rd@... wrote:

                                              > In a message dated 4/14/01 11:03:51 AM, howardsimcoe@... writes:
                                              >
                                              > << Take a "hit"? Yes and spend the inter battle baking in the sun.
                                              > I joined to do a recreation of history not to sunbathe. >>
                                              >
                                              > Hmmm..so in REAL history no one ever got shot and fell down?
                                              > ;-)

                                              > 93rd SHRoFLHU
                                              > THE Thin Red Line
                                              > www.93rdhighlanders.com

                                              square miles...

                                              square miles...

                                              93rd SHRoFLHU
                                              THE Thin Red Line
                                              www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                            • Craig Williams
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 15 11:53 AM
                                                Doug said,

                                                >And if you are at the make-ready position and you boo-boo at full
                                                >cock or at the command "half cock and shoulder", where is the
                                                >flashguard going to direct the burning powder? Right in your eyes.

                                                It doesn't matter if you have a flashguard or not, you'll still flash yer
                                                peepers! Ask Jesse!

                                                I personally prefer not having the flashguard because it just wasn't used
                                                (it's the purist in me), and I believe it complicates the use of the
                                                musket, but I do understand the demand for them by organisers.
                                                A precedent was set for their use by certain government organisations and so
                                                it becomes an insurance/liability thing.
                                                I have never been burnt by someone else using one...only myself.
                                                It would seem there is a "sweet spot" of sorts,(on my musket anyway) that
                                                when one puts in just the right amount of powder the flashguard acts as a
                                                mortar and directs the flash under the tilted frizzen back into the firers
                                                face.
                                                Has anyone else noticed this?
                                                As to the "point" that flashguards promote overpriming... thats just poor
                                                training.

                                                Now ducking behind my sandbag parapet...
                                                Craig
                                              • chimera1@sympatico.ca
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 15 12:24 PM
                                                  Ray - IMUC doesn't attend events where flashguards are absolutely
                                                  mandatory. eg, we didn't go to Ft Erie last year, after "countless"
                                                  years of attending. Doug

                                                • fishell@interlog.com
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Apr 16 1:17 AM
                                                    > I personally prefer not having the flashguard because it just
                                                    wasn't used
                                                    > (it's the purist in me), and I believe it complicates the use of
                                                    the
                                                    > musket, but I do understand the demand for them by organisers.
                                                    > A precedent was set for their use by certain government
                                                    organisations and so
                                                    > it becomes an insurance/liability thing.
                                                    > I have never been burnt by someone else using one...only myself.
                                                    > It would seem there is a "sweet spot" of sorts,(on my musket
                                                    anyway) that
                                                    > when one puts in just the right amount of powder the flashguard
                                                    acts as a
                                                    > mortar and directs the flash under the tilted frizzen back into the
                                                    firers
                                                    > face.
                                                    > Has anyone else noticed this?
                                                    > As to the "point" that flashguards promote overpriming... thats
                                                    just poor
                                                    > training.

                                                    IMHO in this whole matter of training Vs. "mechanical safeguards"
                                                    such as hammer-stalls and flash-guards, no unit or site should be
                                                    allowed to dictate to another unit what they should do as long as
                                                    they only constitute a danger to themselves. As a member of a unit
                                                    which believes in regular drill and does not permit "newbies" to play
                                                    with dangerous toys on the field until they are properly trained, I
                                                    take umbrage at self annointed experts trying to impose their
                                                    criteria on me. So put that in your Provost Corps and ......

                                                    > Now ducking behind my sandbag parapet...
                                                    > Craig
                                                  • Andrew S. Finch
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Apr 16 1:04 PM
                                                      Well I had hoped that you of all people would give time, date , location and
                                                      unit or at least something solid.
                                                      You claim this occurred and you say it was a problem but how does anybody
                                                      deal with such events when people continue to make claims without details.
                                                      Why is this so difficult to do?
                                                      You wanted to be a provost so at least give us details.