Re: [WarOf1812] coins

  • R. Feltoe
    Message 1 of 49 , Apr 1, 2001
      Dear Andrew,
      Your math is fine but the intricacies of the economics of period currency
      can sometimes lead to confusion like this. Firstly, the facts I quoted were
      directly from an original document and I have no reason to doubt that
      gentleman's knowledge of the value of the currencies he handled as a matter
      of daily commerce.

      Secondly, as part of my background (having a degree in Economics from London
      University in England) I learned that in the past, the individual values of
      the higher gold and silver coinage did not always match the multiples of
      lesser value coins due to the propensity of "clipping" and "foiling" of
      coins, thus creating independent values for each denomination.
      Richard Feltoe
    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 19, 2012
        The Royal Canadian Mint has just released its 2012 Silver Proof set to
        commemorate the bicentennial of the War of 1812. To check out the design or
        order a set, just go to the Royal Canadian Mint website. The reverse has
        the image of a First Nations warrior, a Voltigeur, and a British officer.

        Mark Dickerson