Re: [WarOf1812] coins

  • Andrew Bateman
    Message 1 of 49 , Apr 1 11:06 AM
      From: "R. Feltoe"

      Dear Maxine,
      of currency used in Upper Canada in "our" period might be of interest.
      <snip>

      Andrew writes:

      Interesting stuff! Are we talking in terms of an "Upper Canadian Pound"
      here? I notice that in this chart an English shilling is worth 1 shilling
      and 1 pence instead of just a shilling, a crown is worth 5 shillings and 6
      pence instead of the usual 5 shillings, and a Guinea is worth 1 pound 3
      shillings and 4 pence instead of the usual 1 pound and 1 shilling. It's
      also interesting to see that these three examples are not consistent with
      each other if you do the math. (If a shilling is worth 1 shilling and 1
      pence, shouldn't a crown be worth 5 shillings and 5 pence and a Guinea worth
      1 pound, 2 shillings and 9 pence?)

      BTW, some of the coins from this period are by no means rare or expensive so
      carrying a few as part of your impression is an option. I recently paid
      $8.00 at a dealer for 3 British pennies: one from 1770, one from 1806 and a
      slightly rough one with an illegible date. I want to find more coins just
      for the "way cool" factor of having something actually from the period on my
      person, but privates were usually poor so I won't be carrying a mint around
      with me.

      Andrew Bateman, 1/41st
    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 19, 2012
        The Royal Canadian Mint has just released its 2012 Silver Proof set to
        commemorate the bicentennial of the War of 1812. To check out the design or
        order a set, just go to the Royal Canadian Mint website. The reverse has
        the image of a First Nations warrior, a Voltigeur, and a British officer.

        Mark Dickerson