Umbrella Groups

  • ebclemson@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2001
      Well, its time to wade in. It is not the Rules, guidelines, regulations, or missions statements........its the gonads to ENFORCE them. Only one way this happens. The site designates an individual, or unit or an umbrella (organization of several units) to be in charge. The individual or unit in turn runs the event like an Military encampment. Run it by the book. Many of you will not like to hear this, but there already are umbrella groups to some degree. There already are individual units that work together on the field and in camp. There may not be "formal' rules, meetings, Presidents and Secretaries but the goal is the same. Many site organizers DO put an unit or individual in charge. For example Mississinewa names an overall commander for the Americans and for the British. Many of the problems that have been discussed, can be eliminated simply by following the "Military Rules and regulations" for each respective Army. In turn, unit commanders must support the appointed commanders. By doing so, Safety and Authenticy will follow. With a respectable overall commander, and unit commanders respecting the position and following military rules and regulations, this in turn will create an atmosphere of Safety and a more authentic chain of command. The selection of overall commanders must not be a political choice, but must chosen for their abilities to command and gain the respect of "volunteer" soldiers. And it all comes down to who has the "stones" to enforce it? This list is full of talk, and many times we do not walk the talk. Dave Bennett, 1st U.S. & Missouri Rangers.
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 1, 2001
        You are very right Dave! There is already with the Britsh Forces in Canada a "quasi" umbrella group on the field. At stoney creek a couple years ago when Steve stopped the battle everyone listened. If the people on the list now are balking at organised battalion staff why did they stop? Most had no idea what was happening. They could have said, "He's not my boss" but they listened. Is anyone also going to question RSM Lightfoot when he says "March!" There is control and I think it's time everyone woke up to that fact and join in. Or is that submit peacfully? DOH!!

        ebclemson@... wrote:

        > Many of you will not like to hear this, but there already are umbrella groups to some degree. There already are individual units that work together on the field and in camp. There may not be "formal' rules, meetings, Presidents and Secretaries but the goal is the same.
      • Dave & Monica Bosse
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1, 2001
          Some one agree with me? Far out!

          Dave Bosse
          US 25th Reg.

        • Cpl. Wattie
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 1, 2001
            > Is anyone also going to question RSM Lightfoot when he
            says "March!"
            I tried that once ... I'll show you the scars at Longwoods :)

            As for your other message: right on! Any umbrella group the tries to
            enforce "authenticity" is just not going to get off the ground, like
            it or not.
          • Dan
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 2, 2001
              I like the idea of an umbrella group. Everytime I've
              been to Mississinewa it rained & we all got wet. We
              could've used an umbrella.
              And what about hot tea groups too?

            • Chewie
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 2, 2001
                even I am up for going to Canada , if there is a hot tea group .

                Chewie
                unit commander
                Dirty Half Hundred
                " not a good looking bunch , but devilish steady"
                I like the idea of an umbrella group. Everytime I've
                been to Mississinewa it rained & we all got wet. We
                could've used an umbrella.
                And what about hot tea groups too?

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • HQ93rd@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 2, 2001
                  In a message dated 4/2/01 1:39:29 PM, musketballs@... writes:

                  << And what about hot tea groups too? >>

                  And a buttered scone group!

                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                  THE Thin Red Line
                  www.93rdhighlanders.com