Re: [WarOf1812] coins

  • R. Feltoe
    Message 1 of 49 , Apr 1 7:30 AM
      Dear Maxine,
      of currency used in Upper Canada in "our" period might be of interest. The
      corollary of this, of course, is that shopkeepers were forced to maintain
      exchange rate tables for transactions, while others only accepted certain
      currencies.

      Hope this helps,
      Richard Feltoe

      COINAGE VALUE IN UPPER CANADA,(compared to an English Pound at £1 / 0 / 0 )
      British Guinea, £1 / 3 / 4 (stated as one pound, three shillings,
      and four pence)
      Portuguese Joannes, £4 / 0 / 0
      Portuguese Moidore, £1 /10 / 0
      Spanish milled Dubloon, £3 /14 / 6
      French Louis d'or
      (coined before 1793) £1 / 2 / 8
      French Pistole piece, £0 / 18 / 3
      American Eagle, £2 / 10 / 0
      British Crown, £0 / 5 / 6
      French Crown
      (coined before 1793) £0 / 5 / 6
      Spanish Dollar, £0 / 5 / 0
      American Dollar, £0 / 5 / 0
      French piece of four Livres, £0 / 4 / 2
      French Thirty-six Sols, £0 / 1 / 3
      French piece
      (of Twenty-four Sols,) £0 / 1 / 1
      English Shilling, £0 / 1 / 1
      Spanish Pistareen, £0 / 1 / 0

      ". The value of copper coins is not regulated by statute.but no person is
      obliged by law to receive, at one payment, more than a shilling in copper
      money."

      ".Most of the circulating specie is gold. Its plenty or scarcity is
      affected by the fluctuations of crops and markets, and the varying state of
      commercial intercourse with the United States. Army bills, as a medium of
      circulation, grew out of the war. They were substituted for specie, of
      which there was such a scarcity, that many private individuals issued their
      own notes, which passed for some time instead of cash."

      ".There is no bank in the province,.Some efforts were lately made to procure
      the establishment of one at Kingston; but the current of public opinion was
      perceived to set so strongly against the measure, that it was abandoned."

      Robert Gourlay, "A Statistical Account of Upper Canada" 1817
    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 19, 2012
        The Royal Canadian Mint has just released its 2012 Silver Proof set to
        commemorate the bicentennial of the War of 1812. To check out the design or
        order a set, just go to the Royal Canadian Mint website. The reverse has
        the image of a First Nations warrior, a Voltigeur, and a British officer.

        Mark Dickerson