RE: [WarOf1812] Umbrella Groups with leaking holes...

  • spikeyj@crosslink.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2001
      On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, David Randle wrote:

      > Wouldn't dream of saying it. However, in a recent (2000) U.S. Supreme Court
      > decision agreed the Boy Scouts of America, as a private organization, had
      > the right to deny membership to people who did not meet their standard.
      >
      > It would seem to me from the decision of the U.S. Supreme Court, that within
      > the US, a private organization does indeed have the right to set membership
      > conditions for its organization, without regard to the constitutionality of
      > those conditions.

      But also note the upshot of the decision: the Boy Scouts have been
      denied access to school property and other government-supported
      functions in some places because either political bodies don't want to
      be associated with groups that discriminate, or because if the Boy
      Scouts' discrimination can be read as being on religious grounds then
      some interpret the separation of church and state doctrine to require
      that they not give the Boy Scouts access to government-funded
      properties.

      Now, how closely the Boy Scout case woudl parallel a hypothetical
      "they wouldn't let me fire my musket" discrimination case I don't
      know, but if the only grounds one has for such discrimination is
      "Well, the Supreme Court said that the Boy Scouts could do it," be
      prepared for government funding of events to come under scrutiny.

      Spike Y Jones