re: women of questionable virtue

  • bkba21788@blueyonder.co.uk
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2001
      Hi All.
      In regards to this new line .
      In 1999 The Corunna Society staged it's first
      Battle re-enactment actually in Corunna . Amongst
      the awards handed out at the end , was one for Mrs Nice Guy.
      The award did not go to a Lady , Camp Follower or
      or sutleress . But to a lady of questionable virtue.
      Now both the lady in question and her husband are very
      nice people , but it does bring into question who
      are really the better ladies ??????
    • Rob Taylor
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28, 2001
        Can anyone tell me how this came to be "HUZZAH"???

        Rob Taylor

      • Maxine Trottier
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 29, 2001
          Webster's says, : huz·zah
          Variant(s): or huz·za /(")h&-'zä/
          Function: noun
          Etymology: origin unknown
          Date: 1573
          : an expression or shout of acclaim -- often used interjectionally to
          express joy or approbation

          As in,"Oh look at the huzzahs over there next to the opera whores!"

          Max

        • Raymond Hobbs
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
            One suggestion I heard is that 'huzzah' was the original, and 'hurrah' grew out of it. 'Huzzah' is thought by some to come from a Middle English word 'hisse', to pull
            up, heave, and the same root from which we get 'hoist'.
            It could then be used as a shout of workers, sailors etc. acting in concert to pull something - a common phenomenon.
            'One, two, three - h....!'
            There are probably hundreds of other explanations.
            Ray Hobbs
            1/41st

            BTW: Saw the preview for the next 'Hornblower' series on A & E. Looks very nice. Begins April 8th.

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
              From: Rob Taylor

              Can anyone tell me how this came to be "HUZZAH"???

              Rob, the BAR is doing research on this word. Whether
              it was pronounced huzzaw or huzzay. They have poems
              and plays from the 1700's that use the word. I will
              search for the article and report back.

              PS: another benefit of an Umbrellie Groop.....*