Archives

  • Jim Keigher
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 21, 1999
      To all,

      I have just gone back through the archive for the past few months.

      I found some very interesting messages and information. Thank you, all.

      Richard Feltoe was bang on, on his views of the TVO broadcast of 1812. As
      we all sat and watched it, we found ourselves playing "Where's Waldo" more
      than actually listening to the narrative.

      Our local paper published an article about it, claiming it was filmed at
      Old Fort William. Everyone in our group had a bit of a laugh about that.
      There was one piece of stock footage from the fort archives. It was a long
      range shot of the re-enactment of the MacKenzie expidition, from about 5
      years ago.

      Perhaps an honest mistake, though. The distinctive sky blue facings and
      the fast shots of the deMeuron Regimental Colour going by could confuse a
      lot of people. Especially since the Colours did not arrive in Canada until
      May of 1813! I wish to publicly thank Mike Mathews for carrying our
      Colours at Mississinewa, a year ago last October.

      I was dissapointed though, at the lack of credit. With the number of Corps
      members, (David Else, Ryan Potter, Bert Winterburn, and Chris Mills,
      seemed to be the most shown, but there were 14 of us there, that weekend!)
      being so easily recognizable in the film, and our group was not mentioned
      in the credits. Oh well, may in the next one, eh?

      Your obediant servant,

      Jim Keigher
      Corps of Canadian Voyageurs
      Old Fort William

      God Save the King!
    • Robert R. White, Esq.
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 30, 2003
        Mr. Moderator - do you really think that "newbees" to the list will go
        through what my computer shows to be an archive of 18,868 entries to
        find a simple answer to a question or perhaps more relevant to find
        that the topic has even been mentioned? Perhaps, a less prejudicial
        and more tactful approach might sometimes be appropriate. Although, I
        have to admit I enjoy reading the entries and watching you take pot
        shots at each other and try to knock each other off the "top of the
        hill". If you have the info why not just share it? Just my two cents
        worth from an unimpressed lawyer hopefully without prejudice but with
        a little tact. As a poor private, I have to use a little tact, at
        least until I get to the point of knowing it all. The bottom of the
        hill is OK though. You don't get as good a view but you don't have to
        roll down as far to get to the bottom either. Pvt. Bob White, 1812
        Marine on board Constitution.
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 30, 2003
          From: "Robert R. White, Esq." <whiteesq@...>

          Mr. Moderator - do you really think that "newbees" to the list will go
          through what my computer shows to be an archive of 18,868 entries to
          find a simple answer to a question

          If you have the info why not just share it?

          ---------
          Pvt. White,

          I assume you are addressing me as I posted the email you refer to.

          I am NOT Mr. Moderator rather Mr. "ASSISTANT" Moderator.

          As for archive of 18,868 entries I do believe there is a search engine to
          ferret out a topic.

          and finally I do believe as the description of this group states:

          " forum for discussion of all aspects of the War of 1812-14 ....
          this list is primarily designed to facilitate easy communications for
          RE-ENACTORS"

          If research is required I must state that this list is very good at sharing,
          even tho some Subscribers who share their knowledge are professional
          researchers who do charge for their expertise. But give it freely on this
          group ... I believe that is called "working for nothing" which most of
          us do not do ..........

          I do believe the original emails I responded to were actually comments
          that they didn't want an Umbrella Group and they were not going to
          drink their Coke out of a period vessel if they did not want to and that
          asking a question was not allowed on this list

          Those of us on this list for a while also know that the wealth of knowledge
          contained within this list's subscribers supersedes any research library on
          the
          planet.

          A little work by one who wants a question answered is a small price to pay
          for the answers found at the list web site archives.

          And as my 2 cents cannot be compared to your USA currency
          (1 Canadian Dollar = 0.72171 US Dollar)

          I of course bow to your wisdom, and agree,
          who the hell do I think I am to think that "newbees" to the list will look
          in the archive to find a simple answer to a question, when all they have to
          do is ask on the list .............

          Without prejudice or tact,
          (as for tact, I tells it as it is)

          Larry Lozon

          a War of 1812 Yahoo Group "member"

          square miles...

        • Robert White
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 30, 2003
            Try this Mr. Assistant Moderator: "Hey newbee we have
            already discussed this extensively, it's all in our
            archives. Have a good day." This, of course, could
            apply to almost any subject if you happen to know it's
            there. That's all you really need to do to "share".
            Not really offensive and doesn't waste a lot of time
            but I guess not as much fun as telling it like it is.

            The original e-mail from my fellow 1812 Marine only
            asked if the recent flurry of "lists" were an attempt
            at creating an "umbrella" group or groups. I doubt
            that any newbee to this list would be aware of the
            tizzy that the subject appears to cause with the
            "Royal" forces. You guys must have some unbelievable
            experiences among your groups. Fortunately, our unit
            does not have those problems. Lucky, I guess.

            Carry on, sir. I like watching the show. I have
            indeed picked up information which has added to my
            limited knowledge of the period. I am definitely not
            an expert and don't pretend to be.

            Pvt. Bob White on board Constitution [where we drill
            continually usually fairly well (small unit, of
            course), we talk to the public continually generally
            very informative and accurate and we try to dress as
            authentically as the records will guide us in proper
            attire] all of us still learning and hopefully, for
            us, having fun serving our ship and the public and the
            United States Marine Corps. For most of us in our
            unit, our "umbrella" group is already the "Eagle,
            Globe and Anchor" of the Corps. Semper Fidelis.

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • Gord_1812
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 30, 2003
              Great post Mr. White
              I'm on other lists (Electronics) where we get the same question over
              and over. The members usualy answer the newbies questions and keep on
              answering until the new guy has ben around awhile. If He or she is
              asking basic questions every day they are usualy told to try a
              internet search or try checking past messages. Then if they still
              have a un answered question they are asked to post the question again
              or usually some one will tell them to contact them off line for help.

              Gord

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Robert R. White, Esq."
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 30, 2003
                Flame on eh Larry?

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
                > From: "Robert R. White, Esq." <whiteesq@y...>
                >
                > Mr. Moderator - do you really think that "newbees" to the list will
                go
                > through what my computer shows to be an archive of 18,868 entries to
                > find a simple answer to a question
                >
                > If you have the info why not just share it?
                Ya why not? A quick replay of a previously posted reply usualy is
                faster that a page long flame job.

                > ---------
                > Pvt. White,
                >
                > I assume you are addressing me as I posted the email you refer to.
                >
                > I am NOT Mr. Moderator rather Mr. "ASSISTANT" Moderator.
                >
                > As for archive of 18,868 entries I do believe there is a search
                engine to
                > ferret out a topic.
                Give it a try it's not very user friendly and the newbies to using a
                group probally will find it even harder to use.

                > and finally I do believe as the description of this group states:
                >
                > " forum for discussion of all aspects of the War of 1812-14 ....
                > this list is primarily designed to facilitate easy communications
                for
                > RE-ENACTORS"

                Read above line. RE: easy communications

                > If research is required I must state that this list is very good at
                sharing,
                > even tho some Subscribers who share their knowledge are professional
                > researchers who do charge for their expertise. But give it freely
                on this
                > group ... I believe that is called "working for nothing" which most
                of
                > us do not do ..........
                Actually we all do at events. (sure we love it but it's still work)

                > I do believe the original emails I responded to were actually
                comments
                > that they didn't want an Umbrella Group and they were not going to
                > drink their Coke out of a period vessel if they did not want to and
                that
                > asking a question was not allowed on this list

                Better re-read those messages. (try the search to find them) Seem to
                me you got a few messages mixed up and (Like the Star) are miss
                quoting.

                > Those of us on this list for a while also know that the wealth of
                knowledge
                > contained within this list's subscribers supersedes any research
                library on
                > the
                > planet.

                Really?

                > A little work by one who wants a question answered is a small price
                to pay
                > for the answers found at the list web site archives.

                Gee we answer the same stupid question twenty times a day (at events)
                about how hot our costumes are maybe we should just have cards with
                this groups address and tell Joe Public to do a search.

                > And as my 2 cents cannot be compared to your USA currency
                > (1 Canadian Dollar = 0.72171 US Dollar)
                >
                > I of course bow to your wisdom, and agree,
                > who the hell do I think I am to think that "newbees" to the list
                will look
                > in the archive to find a simple answer to a question, when all they
                have to
                > do is ask on the list .............
                Gee list = Ask question = answer.
                I suggest that if you see a question that has been posted just don't
                reply rather than flame a potential asset to the group.

                > Without prejudice or tact,

                I agree with the second part in this case.
                Gord (not from Maryland)
              • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 30, 2003
                  Hi Gord,

                  Having been on this list for about 3 years, I have seen the umbrella
                  groups topic flogged for days on end. You either think they are
                  terrible or great. Seems to be no middle ground. It has come up al
                  least twice in the three years and nobody, I mean nobody ever changes
                  their mind. Flaming occurs. It ain't a pretty sight. If some of us
                  are strongly against rehashing a topic which is divisive and often
                  brings out the worst in list members, we do not mean to quash questions.
                  I am just not up to the aggravation of going through the arguments and
                  insults again and again and again.

                  It is great to have interested people join the list. Whether they are
                  experienced or brand new to the hobby I encourage them to ask questions.
                  As previously said, the list members have a great wealth of knowledge
                  and are quite willing to share it.

                  Regards,

                  Bob Dorian
                  USA
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 31, 2003
                    From: "Robert White" <whiteesq@...>

                    Try this Mr. Assistant Moderator: .......

                    =========

                    Sir, I apologise if you or others took
                    my responses as a "flame" as most of my
                    replies were "tongue in cheek"

                    I shall cultivate my diplomacy skills when
                    posting as a War of 1812 Yahoo Group "member"

                    Larry Lozon
                  • Gord_1812
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 2, 2003
                      Thanks for clarification Bob.