Re: [WarOf1812] Congreve Rockets

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 19, 2001
      O.Rox
      Donald Graves' booklet Sir William Congreve and the Rockets' Red Glare lists twenty occasions on which the rockets were used during the war of 1812 - 18 of them before
      Ft. McHenry.
      They are:
      Lewiston, Delaware 6 April 1813
      Havre de Grace, Maryland, 2 May 1813
      Fredericktown, Del. 6 May 1813
      Georgetown, Del. 6 May 1813
      Craney Island, Va. 22 June 1813
      Hampton, Va. 24 June 1813
      LaColle Mill, Lower Canada, 30 March 1814.
      Oswego, NY. 6 May 1814
      Wareham, Mass. 13 June 1814
      Lundy's :ane, Upper Canada, 25 July 1814
      Stonington, Conn. 9-11 August 1814
      Benedict, Va. 22 August 1814
      Bladensburg, Va. 24 August 1814
      Ft. Washington, Va. 27 August 1814
      Hampden, Me. 2 September 1814
      Potomac River, Va, 1-6 September 1814
      Plattsburgh, NY, 11 September 1814
      North Point,. Md, 12 September 1814
      Ft. McHenry, Md. 13-14 September 1814
      New Orleans, La. 24 Dec 1814
      He also lists an encounter at New Orleans on the 19th Jan. 1815.

      The book is in the 'Historical Arms Series' published in the US and Canada by Museum Restoration service, 1989 The ISBN is 0-919316-23-9

      I have never seen a rocket at any reenactments - but my experience is VERY limited.

      Hope this helps,
      Ray Hobbs
      1/41st Regiment of Foot
      Upper Canada

    • JGIL1812@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 19, 2001
        In a message dated 3/19/01 1:40:11 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        surferoxo@... writes:

        << Are Congreve rockets used in any current reenactments?
        Thanks for any info.

        O. Rox
        Spectator >>

        I seem to remember something about them at Mississinewa last year... Bombs
        bursting the the air!

        JG/RE
      • JGIL1812@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 19, 2001
          In a message dated 3/19/01 1:25:17 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          surferoxo@... writes:

          << Does anyone know when and where (besides the D.C./Maryland campaigns)
          Congreve rockets were employed by the British during the War of 1812? >>

          There was a rocket battery at New Orleans...

          JG/RE
        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 19, 2001
            In a message dated 3/19/2001 3:56:24 PM Central Standard Time,
            JGIL1812@... writes:

            << I seem to remember something about them at Mississinewa last year... Bombs
            bursting the the air! >>

            Actually John the 'bombs' are usually provided by Bob Camardo and the Prairie
            du Chene lads. I did hear that last year the rockets did manage to make a hit
            on our cavalry!

          • IX Regiment
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 19, 2001
              >In a message dated 3/19/01 1:40:11 PM Pacific Standard Time,
              >surferoxo@... writes:
              >
              ><< Are Congreve rockets used in any current reenactments?
              > Thanks for any info.
              The First Royal Dragoons fired some at the Golfe-Juan event a couple of
              weeks ago. They were designed to burst in mid air and were very
              effective.

              Cheers

              P**

              > O. Rox
              > Spectator >>
              >
              >I seem to remember something about them at Mississinewa last year... Bombs
              >bursting the the air!
              >
              >JG/RE
              >

              >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of square
              >miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of square
              >miles...

              IX Regiment
            • Zorniak
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 19, 2001

                > There is a unit in the UK that does RHA and I believe there was a unit at the
                > last Mississenewa, though they were basically shooting small bottle rockets.

                There was a unit at Mississinewa 2000.

                Their Congeve rockets were oversized bottle rockets.

                Their uniforms were more to the late 1800's. Kind of spectacular...but no rocket's red glare!

                Don
              • Raymond Hobbs
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 19, 2001
                  I guess Graves did not know his geography very well when he wrote this book - and neither do I!!! As for the dates - the same applies. That is what comes with being a
                  provincial Upper Canadian, who thinks that the most important aspects of the war took place in the Niagara region!!! More specifically - at Burlington Heights, almost
                  in my back yard. Sorry folks.
                  Maybe one day I'll get to New Orleans.
                  Ray Hobbs

                • easeufe@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 19, 2001
                    ray.hobbs@... writes:

                    > Donald Graves' booklet Sir William Congreve and the Rockets' Red Glare lists
                    > twenty occasions on which the rockets were used during the war of 1812 - 18
                    > of them before
                    > Ft. McHenry.
                    > They are:
                    > Lewiston, Delaware 6 April 1813
                    > Havre de Grace, Maryland, 2 May 1813
                    > Fredericktown, Del. 6 May 1813
                    > Georgetown, Del. 6 May 1813
                    > Craney Island, Va. 22 June 1813
                    > Hampton, Va. 24 June 1813
                    > LaColle Mill, Lower Canada, 30 March 1814.
                    > Oswego, NY. 6 May 1814
                    > Wareham, Mass. 13 June 1814
                    > Lundy's Lane, Upper Canada, 25 July 1814
                    > Stonington, Conn. 9-11 August 1814
                    > Benedict, Va. 22 August 1814
                    > Bladensburg, Va. 24 August 1814
                    > Ft. Washington, Va. 27 August 1814
                    > Hampden, Me. 2 September 1814
                    > Potomac River, Va, 1-6 September 1814
                    > Plattsburgh, NY, 11 September 1814
                    > North Point,. Md, 12 September 1814
                    > Ft. McHenry, Md. 13-14 September 1814
                    > New Orleans, La. 24 Dec 1814
                    > He also lists an encounter at New Orleans on the 19th Jan. 1815.

                    Some corrections to the above list:

                    Lewiston is Lewes, Delaware
                    Havre de Grace, Maryland, 3 May 1813
                    Fredericktown, Maryland 6 May 1813
                    Georgetown, Maryland 6 May 1813
                    Benedict, Maryland. 15 June 1814
                    The landings at Benedict on 19 August were unopposed.
                    Bladensburg, Maryland. 24 August 1814
                    Ft. Washington, Maryland. 27 August 1814

                    The Royal Navy also used rocket boats in their 2 attempts to dislodge Joshua
                    Barney while he was blockaded in St. Leonard's Creek.
                    Rockets were supposedly fired into the Capitol chambers to help ignite the
                    gathered combustibles.

                    Ed Seufert, LCpl
                    1812 Royal Marines

                  • Rob Taylor
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 20, 2001
                      Another occasion on which the rockets were used
                      during the war of 1812 - 1814 was at the Battle of
                      Cook's Mills or the skirmish at Lyon's Creek in
                      October of 1814.

                      Rob Taylor

                      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                    • HQ93rd@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 20, 2001
                        In a message dated 3/19/01 4:37:14 PM, zorniak1@... writes:

                        << Their Congeve rockets were oversized bottle rockets.<<

                        Oh boy ! So that means Ah kin bring sum fireworks and we kin have us a bottle
                        rocket war! I jest hated all them safety rules! yup and yeehaaaww! (sarcasm
                        intended)

                        >>Their uniforms were more to the late 1800's. Kind of spectacular...but no
                        rocket's red glare! >>

                        Gaaawwwwwleee! Then Ah kin ware muh "Zulu" uneeform too at
                        Meeesisisiisnnewaa! Shore am glad tu hear they gots rid o' that "if it ain't
                        1812 don't bring it" rule! yup and yeehaaaww! (sarcasm intended)

                        93rd SHRoFLHU
                        THE Thin Red Line
                        www.93rdhighlanders.com
                      • Armchairadm@cs.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 20, 2001
                          Why in God's name would anyone want be down range (or anywhere else on the
                          range for that matter) when someone is firing Congreve Rockets or anything
                          meant to closely resemble them.
                          I can't imagine any State/Provincial safety officer at any Historic Site
                          allowing such to be used.
                          Missisinewa is of course not a State Historic Site and this sort of shit goes
                          on there every year. One of the many reasons I no longer go that event.

                        • mike dollinger
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 20, 2001

                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 21, 2001
                              From: Armchairadm@...

                              Why in God's name would anyone want be down range ........
                              when someone is firing Congreve Rockets ....
                              ............Missisinewa is of course not a State Historic Site and
                              this sort of shit goes on there every year. One of the many
                              reasons I no longer go that event.

                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                              The young lad who portrays the Royal Rocket Corps does NOT fire
                              Rockets, but does in fact the same thing we do with our muskets, a
                              bang at the staging area and NO PROJECTILE.
                              Now the fellows from Prairie du Chein actually fire a projectile into
                              the air!

                              As far as not attending Mississinewa,
                              well that is your loss .......xxxooo

                            • Armchairadm@cs.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 22, 2001
                                Larry

                                As for Missasinewa: After being almost deafend by some buckskiner who
                                decided to use me as cover while I was playing dead on field; almost being
                                run down by the Bloody Useless Cavalry; and not once but twice being smacked
                                in the head with musket butts by overly enthusiastic Ersatz Indians, I'll
                                gladly stay home in October.

                              • Scott McDonald
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 22, 2001
                                  > As for Missasinewa: After being almost deafend by some buckskiner who
                                  >decided to use me as cover while I was playing dead on field; almost being
                                  >run down by the Bloody Useless Cavalry; and not once but twice being smacked
                                  >in the head with musket butts by overly enthusiastic Ersatz Indians, I'll
                                  >gladly stay home in October.

                                  WHIMP

                                  :)
                                • tracyforsyth@hotmail.com
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 22, 2001
                                    Larry

                                    You do this for *fun*??

                                    To much action for me! I'm glad I'm on the other side of the rope
                                    being the spectator.
                                    Tracy Forsyth
                                    Spectator

                                  • chimera1@sympatico.ca
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 23, 2001
                                      I have read the subsequent replies to this submission. In my 20
                                      years of 1812 re-enactment, I have never had a problem with uniformed
                                      infantry people, but have with the other groups mentioned.

                                      At Ft York once, we were billeted in the east blockhouse. In the
                                      middle of the night I felt an urgent call of nature, requiring a long
                                      walk to the opposite end of the fort - no portapotties. On passing
                                      the center blockhouse on my way back, I was grabbed from behind by an
                                      invisible buckskinner - the hook of a billhook at my neck and a
                                      Bowie pressing at my gut. I thought - my god - he's drunk -
                                      the idiot is going to kill me! - even if only by accident. He
                                      *was* drunk, but eventually he released me, explaining that that was
                                      how he would have despatched me if he had wanted to do so. But I was
                                      shaken.

                                      At Ft Wayne, there was a single American cavalryman - he looked
                                      great. But everytime we attempted to advance he charged us, forcing
                                      us to form a rallying square - frustrating of course, but then
                                      early on he should have been dead - but he would not desist. He
                                      repeatedly came in close swinging his sword at close quarters, aiming
                                      for the bayonets I suppose, but actually damaging muskets - my own
                                      stock sports a gash.

                                      Now I realize our Indian Allies re-enact a different culture. They
                                      are playful and inclined to petty theft. But this can go too far.
                                      One seemed to be continually attracted to my naval breastplate at
                                      Hamilton/Burlington Bay, which was a nuisance in camp (bullying in
                                      today's terms?). During the battle he charged me at full tilt with
                                      his tomahawk, figuring he had intimidated me earlier, I suppose. But
                                      I made it sharply clear to him that it would not be advisable to come
                                      into contact with me, so he slid to a spectacular death at my feet.
                                      Worked out well, I suppose, but I was uncomfortable. (I do admire
                                      the person in a perhaps rev war officers' tunic who sometimes strides
                                      onto the field beside the parade commander and acts as if it is he
                                      who is really in command. He carries it off very well - although
                                      maybe the parade commander may look at it as bullying!)

                                      The point of this is that perhaps we could do a better job of
                                      educating fringe partipants in safe appropriate behaviour, even if we
                                      don't have a formal governing body. Larry says he can identify the
                                      fringe people from the lists organizers provide him with at events.
                                      Perhaps a delegation could then speak with them?

                                      Doug

                                    • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 23, 2001
                                        In a message dated 3/23/01 12:07:44 PM, chimera1@... writes:

                                        << The point of this is that perhaps we could do a better job of
                                        educating fringe partipants in safe appropriate behaviour, even if we
                                        don't have a formal governing body. Larry says he can identify the
                                        fringe people from the lists organizers provide him with at events.
                                        Perhaps a delegation could then speak with them? >>

                                        Quite so. Such lists should be gone over at the very beginning of an event
                                        with the appointed overall commanders and their ADCs of all sides, and a
                                        sponsor representative,
                                        to see who is who and what is what, and the what's to then be called upon for
                                        a "friendly little chat".

                                        93rd SHRoFLHU
                                        THE Thin Red Line
                                        www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                      • Andrew S. Finch
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 23, 2001
                                          So what year did you go Mr. perfect
                                        • Armchairadm@cs.com
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 26, 2001
                                            I assume you are inquiring as to my attendance at Missesinewa.
                                            I wnet to that event six or seven times and the incidents I described each
                                            took place on different years.
                                            By the way I don't claim to be perfect but do try not be an active hazard to
                                            the others on the field.