"Zulu" Chant and "Gladiator"

  • jeverett@sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6, 2001
      As "Zulu" is a current topic: Early in the movie "Gladiator", you
      hear from the woods, the sounds of the Germans chanting and beating
      on their sheilds. Didn't it sound like it was lifted directly from
      the sound track of "Zulu"? Or were my ears deceiving me?

      R. Jason Everett,
      Capt., Inc. Militia
    • Andrew Bateman
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 6, 2001
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 7, 2001
          Captain Everett, Sir:
          In the age of 'stock shots' and 'sampling' of sound bites - especially with digital sound - you are probably hearing correctly. I noticed though that the 'Zulu'
          sounds were just like the ones made by the 'fuzzy wuzzies' in that wonderful piece of camp - 'The Four Feathers'. I have the late 1930s version which is marketted as
          'bombastically British!' Maybe the practice goes back further.
          I have the Honor to be sir,
          Your most humble and obedient Servant
          Hobbs, R
          Pvt. 1/41st Foot.

          PS: No reaction please to 'Honor' - in the dozens of original letters I have read in the National Archives, that is the preferred spelling!

        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 7, 2001
            In a message dated 3/7/2001 8:27:13 AM Central Standard Time,
            ray.hobbs@... writes:

            << I have the late 1930s version which is marketted as
            'bombastically British!' Maybe the practice goes back further. >>

            I wonder if the same catalogue describes 'The Green Beret's' as
            'Jingoistically American' I bet not!
          • chimera1@sympatico.ca
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 7, 2001
              Ah, what we are missing these days. Neither the SAS, the SBS, the
              SEALS, the Green Berets, the Black Berets, their Canadian equivalents
              (who are so super secret I don't know who they are) nor their
              adversaries beat on things and chant as they go into action. Leaves
              something to be desired, whot? Doug

              --- In WarOf1812@y..., Raymond Hobbs <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:
              > Captain Everett, Sir:
              > In the age of 'stock shots' and 'sampling' of sound bites -
              especially with digital sound - you are probably hearing correctly.
              I noticed though that the 'Zulu'
              > sounds were just like the ones made by the 'fuzzy wuzzies' in that
              wonderful piece of camp - 'The Four Feathers'. I have the late 1930s
              version which is marketted as
              > 'bombastically British!' Maybe the practice goes back further.
              > I have the Honor to be sir,
              > Your most humble and obedient Servant
              > Hobbs, R
              > Pvt. 1/41st Foot.
              >
              > PS: No reaction please to 'Honor' - in the dozens of original
              letters I have read in the National Archives, that is the preferred
              spelling!

              > jeverett@s... wrote:
              >
              > > As "Zulu" is a current topic: Early in the movie "Gladiator", you
              > > hear from the woods, the sounds of the Germans chanting and
              beating
              > > on their sheilds. Didn't it sound like it was lifted directly
              from
              > > the sound track of "Zulu"? Or were my ears deceiving me?
              > >
              > > R. Jason Everett,
              > > Capt., Inc. Militia
              > >
              > > The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of
              fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

              > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Scott Jeznach
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 7, 2001
                > Ah, what we are missing these days. Neither the SAS, the SBS, the
                > SEALS, the Green Berets, the Black Berets, their Canadian equivalents
                > (who are so super secret I don't know who they are) nor their
                > adversaries beat on things and chant as they go into action. Leaves
                > something to be desired, whot? Doug

                As a former member of one of the abovementioned organizations I have to
                state "Au Contraire!"

                Have you never heard of the famous Native American "Geronimo!?"

                Scott J.
                Royal Marines
              • HQ93rd@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 7, 2001

                  > As "Zulu" is a current topic: Early in the movie "Gladiator", you
                  > hear from the woods, the sounds of the Germans chanting and beating
                  > on their sheilds. Didn't it sound like it was lifted directly from
                  > the sound track of "Zulu"? Or were my ears deceiving me?
                  >
                  > R. Jason Everett,
                  > Capt., Inc. Militia

                  Now that you mention it, that is exactly what I was thinking when I saw that
                  scene! Benton? Oh where are you, Benton! >>

                  Yep. I heard it too. And hear it everytime on the DVD ....
                  The guys playing the "germans" either were doing it and no one on the crew
                  caught on, or the sound editors lifted it (which is what it sounds like.)
                  Oy vey!

                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                  THE Thin Red Line
                  www.93rdhighlanders.com
                • chimera1@sympatico.ca
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 7, 2001
                    --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Scott Jeznach" <scottj@c...> wrote:
                    > > Ah, what we are missing these days. Neither the SAS, the SBS, the
                    > > SEALS, the Green Berets, the Black Berets, their Canadian
                    equivalents
                    > > (who are so super secret I don't know who they are) nor their
                    > > adversaries beat on things and chant as they go into action.
                    Leaves
                    > > something to be desired, whot? Doug
                    >
                    > As a former member of one of the abovementioned organizations I
                    have to
                    > state "Au Contraire!"
                    >
                    > Have you never heard of the famous Native American "Geronimo!?"
                    >
                    > Scott J.
                    > Royal Marines

                    You're right on - except no one else could hear it at some thousand
                    feet! Doug