Re: [WarOf1812] zulu, dvd's

  • spikeyj@crosslink.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
      On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 BritcomHMP@... wrote:

      > Though no DVD is not available there is a letterbox video copy of 'ZULU'
      > available.

      I remember a decade ago signing a petition to letterbox Zulu (or maybe
      it was Waterloo; ask Craig, he was the one with the sign-up form). I'm
      sure a similar petition/letter-writing campaign could convince the DVD
      companies and the holder of the copyright of the profit-making
      potential of a DVD release.

      Spike Y Jones
    • Raymond Hobbs
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
        Way off 1812 topic, of course, but Why, Doug? Please be specific.
        Ray Hobbs
        1/41st

      • gjerdem@cwp.swrcb.ca.gov
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
          Dear Sirs,

          I just watched the bloody thing on DVD this past weekend. My friend
          bought it at a Best Buy for $7.00 US! I wish he had purchased the
          whole lot of them. Now, if we can only find Waterloo, the four hour
          version!

          Michael W. Gjerde,
          93rd Sutherland Highlanders

        • JGIL1812@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
            gjerdem@... writes:

            << Dear Sirs,

            I just watched the bloody thing on DVD this past weekend. My friend
            bought it at a Best Buy for $7.00 US! I wish he had purchased the
            whole lot of them. Now, if we can only find Waterloo, the four hour
            version!

            Michael W. Gjerde,
            93rd Sutherland Highlanders >>

            To one and all.

            You can order "Zulu" on DVD at any Suncoast Video store here is the old USA.
            They usually have a single copy on hand.

            JG/RE
          • chimera1@sympatico.ca
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001

            • gjerdem@cwp.swrcb.ca.gov
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                > gjerdem@c... writes:
                >
                > << Dear Sirs,
                >
                > I just watched the bloody thing on DVD this past weekend. My
                friend bought it at a Best Buy for $7.00 US! I wish he had purchased
                the whole lot of them. Now, if we can only find Waterloo, the four
                hour version!

                > Michael W. Gjerde,
                > 93rd Sutherland Highlanders >>
                >
                > To one and all.
                >
                > You can order "Zulu" on DVD at any Suncoast Video store here is the
                old USA.
                > They usually have a single copy on hand.
                >
                > JG/RE

                Oh, just learned that is a 6-hour version of Waterloo out there...

                And the DVD was released in October 1999, is availabe from amazon.com
                for 6.99....OK guys, you can return to the 21st century once in a
                while...

                MW Gjerde
              • chimera1@sympatico.ca
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 6, 2001
                  Zulu Dawn (prequel to the excellent Zulu) seems to be a vehicle for
                  Burt Lancaster as Durnford. As one example, it takes him a
                  needlessly long time to die on the field after being shot - several
                  long sequences in fact. Makes me think of Elvis Presley's prolonged
                  dying sequence in Love Me Tender - all the girls in the theater
                  were crying, while all we guys laughed - but that was a long time
                  ago, and most of you probably haven't seen that *dog*.

                  In Zulu, Michael Caine was an unknown and perhaps Stanley Baker too -
                  they did workmanlike acting jobs in presenting the story.

                  The infantry companies on the left were armed with carbines in the
                  film. There are a number of anomalies like that which make one
                  cringe.

                  Perhaps Larry is right - it can be an entertaining film if you are
                  well lubricated. But Larry, you forgot to add the bitters to the gin!

                  But that's the last you will hear from me as an erstwhile film critic.

                  Doug