1812 Training Weekend

    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 2, 2001
      From: Leonard E Heidebrecht

      "... the 1812 Training Weekend at Fort George 14-15 Apr 01
      ....Instructors are ...ready ... to teach ... numerous topics

      Len,
      ~ who are the finalized Instructors, and what topic is
      each Instructor presenting?

      ~ have any Sutlers been invited?

    • lee caripidis
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 3, 2001
        You might try Judy Morgan of Kenockee Tradin' Post. They're near Port
        Huron, MI. ( I can't speak for her work load, though). (810)
        324-2577
        Lee.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        On Sun, 4 Mar 2001 14:30:50 -0500 "Maxine Trottier"
        <maxitrot@...> writes:
        > Just returned from Penetang and working on the rigging of HMS
        > Tecumseth. So
        > much line; so little time.
        >
        > I am looking to have a pair of front flap trousers and a shirt of
        > blue and
        > white ticking made. I'm near London, Ontario. Any suggestions? My
        > 1812
        > seamstress is completed booked with uniforms and such....
        >
        > Max

        > hundreds of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the
        > fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...
        >
        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Maxine Trottier

          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
            --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Maxine Trottier" <maxitrot@e...> wrote:
            > Just returned from Penetang and working on the rigging of HMS
            Tecumseth. So
            > much line; so little time.
            >
            > I am looking to have a pair of front flap trousers and a shirt of
            blue and
            > white ticking made. I'm near London, Ontario. Any suggestions? My
            1812
            > seamstress is completed booked with uniforms and such....
            >
            > Max

            Hey Max,
            Just to let you know my mom Linda Hanna(of Linda's Early Fashions)
            is a historical seamstress - she is well know in rev and 1812
            reenacting circles, consequently she is also making all of the
            clothing for most of the other tall ship companies. Her email
            address is lindasearlyfashions@... and her phone number is 905
            770-4743
            she is available most times if you need to give her a call
            Hope this helps you out (and anyone else that needs historical
            clothing, uniforms, accessories or would like a catalouge)
            Amanda

          • Maxine Trottier
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
              She is exactly the person for whom I am looking. They were talking about her
              work at the boat. I'll call. Thanks so much.

              Max

            • Maxine Trottier
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
                We are watching The Madness of King George (loosely associated with the
                period here on this list, what, what?) and noticed the equerry wearing a
                bicornne. It's just after 1783. Would that have been correct?

                Max

                Maxine Trottier
                maxitrot@...
                http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm

              • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
                  In a message dated 3/4/2001 6:03:07 PM Central Standard Time,
                  maxitrot@... writes:

                  << We are watching The Madness of King George (loosely associated with the
                  period here on this list, what, what?) and noticed the equerry wearing a
                  bicornne. It's just after 1783. Would that have been correct? >>

                  Fabulous film, rotten costumes (the only good ones were those re-used from
                  'Revolution' (rotten film, great costumes!). Basically no, though the cocked
                  hat was changing the very high front cock that makes it look like the
                  'bicorn' did not occur until about 1790, the transformation was complete by
                  1799.

                  What annoyed me about the film was the abomination Nigel Hawthorne was forced
                  to wear, complete with Chelsea pensioners hat and French WW1 epaulettes.

                  My favorite scene is the one where he is being manhandled into the chair to
                  be strapped down. I instantly recognised the music in the background, it is
                  the beginning of the anthem 'Zadok the Priest' It is used at the coronation
                  as the King approaches the throne and the choir bursts forth in song as he
                  sits. In the film the choir comes in as they finally force him into the chair
                  and begin to strap him down. I find it impossible to watch that scene with
                  dry eyes.

                  Cheers
                • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
                    A correction to my original post. The rotten costumes were the military and
                    particularly the 'Windsor' uniforms. One assumes the costumes designers fee
                    did not run to the price of a ticket to the National Portrait Gallery.

                    The civilian clothes (which were mainly pulled from stock by people who knew
                    what they were about) were very good indeed.

                    Cheers
                  • mike dollinger
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
                      >From: "Amanda H" <bertgirl1812@...>
                      >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: [WarOf1812] Clothing needed?? Re Tecumseth
                      >Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 20:47:29 -0000
                      >

                      > > seamstress is completed booked with uniforms and such....
                      > I make a nice shirt or whatever else you may need Mike Dollinger
                      > "tinker tailor soldier and soon to be sailor"

                    • Annette and Lloyd
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                        Max
                        Contact Sandy Boisineau for help , yet another good seamstress.
                      • Leonard E Heidebrecht
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 10, 2001
                          Hello Listoids,

                          The 1812 Training Weekend at Ft George 14-15 April 01 proceeds well. I will publish a list of instructors and classes next week for your information, which, I hope, will meet with your approval.

                          Remember that these classes, while they have a male, British, officer bias, are also meant to be attended by all ranks, genders and nationalities.

                          One idea that has been floated is possibly having classes Good Friday and Saturday (13-14Apr) rather than Sat-Sun (14-15Apr). Give me a call off list with your opinions, please. It may be a bit late to change the dates but I value your opinion (though I may completely disregard it.)

                          Cheers,

                          Len
                          (705)435-7864

                        • lee caripidis
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                            Andrew, would you contact me off line for a question please?
                            Lee
                          • johnvs64j@netscape.net
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
                              List,
                              I'm looking for a source for correct Empire style top(?) hats. These
                              are shorter and more tapered than the 1830 style sold by Townsend.
                              Are these still made by Hatcrafters and if so, what is their contact
                              info.

                              Thanks,
                              John V.
                            • Vince Wilding
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
                                try:
                                http://hatcrafters.com or 610-623-2620

                                --
                                Vince Wilding (Splotch, Fuzzee & Minnie's Majordomo)
                                email:Vince (at) VinceWilding.com http://www.VinceWilding.com
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
                                  You could try John McMicking in Dundas

                                  I'm looking for a source for correct Empire style top(?) hats. These
                                  are shorter and more tapered than the 1830 style sold by Townsend.
                                  Are these still made by Hatcrafters and if so, what is their contact
                                  info.

                                  Thanks,
                                  John V.

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                • James Aldrich
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
                                    johnvs64j@... wrote:

                                    > List,
                                    > I'm looking for a source for correct Empire style top(?) hats. These
                                    > are shorter and more tapered than the 1830 style sold by Townsend.
                                    > Are these still made by Hatcrafters and if so, what is their contact
                                    > info.

                                    Have you tried http://www.clearwaterhats.com/ Fur Trade section?

                                    JSA
                                    --
                                    Green Bay Lacrosse-- Play hard; play often.
                                  • Andrew Bateman
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
                                      > Have you tried http://www.clearwaterhats.com/ Fur Trade section?
                                      >
                                      > JSA

                                      You won't go wrong with Clearwater. Their Civil War hats are excellent -
                                      authentic right down to the lining. Check out Fur Trade Page 2 for the
                                      "Carriage Hat" - looks like just what you are looking for.

                                      Andrew Bateman, 1/41st
                                    • colsjtjones2000@yahoo.ca
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
                                        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Andrew Bateman" <abateman@f...> wrote:
                                        > > Have you tried http://www.clearwaterhats.com/ Fur Trade section?
                                        > >
                                        > > JSA
                                        >
                                        > You won't go wrong with Clearwater. Their Civil War hats are
                                        excellent -
                                        > authentic right down to the lining. Check out Fur Trade Page 2 for
                                        the
                                        > "Carriage Hat" - looks like just what you are looking for.
                                        >
                                        > Andrew Bateman, 1/41st

                                        Hey - great stuff! But where are the 1812 period hats? Doug
                                      • colsjtjones2000@yahoo.ca
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
                                          Apologies - I didn't initialy see the reference in the upper left
                                          hand corner of the site. Hats claiming to be of our period are in
                                          fact included. Doug

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
                                            colsjtjones2000@... wrote:

                                            > Hey - great stuff! But where are the 1812 period hats? Doug

                                            Mainly in the Fur Trade section. They will also work with you on modifications. They don't offer an F&I cocked hat but they made one to my specifications.

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 29, 2001
                                              >From: James Aldrich <jaldrich@...>
                                              >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                                              >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Re: hats
                                              >Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 01:07:16 -0500
                                              >
                                              >colsjtjones2000@... wrote:
                                              >
                                              > >I'm expecting a shippment of 6 M1813 tombstone shako's and 4 early felt
                                              >shako's this week . Also US hat plates and five ball sabers
                                              I hope to have a nice stock of watch coats a tunics for Mississinewa

                                              Mike Dollinger