Re: [WarOf1812] zulu, dvd's and the 24th

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
      True enough, O noble Sarge!
      Even though in 1879 the 24th were still known officially as the '2nd Warwickshire' - presumably English, the depot had already moved to Brecon - dead centre of Wales
      - in 1873, and the Welsh militia regiments were feeding its ranks.
      In 1881, of course, the Regiment got its proper name - the South Wales Borderers. Even in 1879 half the Privates seemed to be called 'Jones'. Two of them so named
      won the Victoria Cross.
      Ray Hobbs
      1/41st CD

    • chimera1@sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
        Hey, March 1st was St David's day, the patron saint of Wales. I had
        expected that the all the Jones and Williams, etc people would come
        out with a resounding vocal rendition of Men of Harlech on the site.
        Oh well, as I say every year, maybe next year. <sigh> Doug Jones

      • fiftysecond@btinternet.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
          --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Craig Williams" <sgtwarnr@i...> wrote:

          > - presumably English, the depot had already moved to Brecon - dead
          centre of
          > Wales
          >

          > Dead centre? You must be from south Wales. ):~\

          Brecon being "dead centre" was correct first time.....
          I've been there on a Saturday night!!

          Regards
          Tony.
        • Craig Williams

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
              I worked all day (exhausting with a hero sized leek stuffed in your hat) and
              came home to a lovely dinner of lamb with mintsauce and leeks , and
              gooseberry pie for dessert. I chased this with a bottle of Rickerts Red just
              for the correct colour which of course wasn't artificially induced, ( a lot
              better than green beer if you ask me!).
              I wasn't gonna share!
              But now that you mention it,
              Happy belated St. David's!
              Pobendeth
              Craig

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
                >> - presumably English, the depot had already moved to Brecon - dead
                >centre of
                >> Wales
                >>

                >> Dead centre? You must be from south Wales. ):~\
                >>

                >Brecon being "dead centre" was correct first time.....
                >I've been there on a Saturday night!!
                >
                >Regards
                >Tony.

                I stand corrected.