Re: [WarOf1812] zulu, dvd's

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
      Though no DVD is not available there is a letterbox video copy of 'ZULU'
      available.

      The 6 hour version of Waterloo is not an urban legend but it may well no
      longer exist. This was the Russian (Soviet) cut by Serge Bondarchuck, but if
      you can find the novel based on the original script the blanks get filled in
      and you will find out why they keep cutting back to the two French
      Grenadiers.

      The film that MAY have some outakes to go bak is 'The Charge of the Light
      Brigade' Lawrence Harvey, who played Prince Menchikov, was entirely cut from
      the finished film.
    • HQ93rd@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
        In a message dated 3/2/01 8:41:44 AM, BritcomHMP@... writes:

        << The film that MAY have some outakes to go bak is 'The Charge of the Light
        Brigade' Lawrence Harvey, who played Prince Menchikov, was entirely cut from
        the finished film. >>

        Well, that's because they realized he died at "The Alamo" as Travis in 1960,
        and no one would believe he was still alive...
        ;-)
        93rd SHRoFLHU
        THE Thin Red Line
        www.93rdhighlanders.com
      • spikeyj@crosslink.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
          On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 BritcomHMP@... wrote:

          > Though no DVD is not available there is a letterbox video copy of 'ZULU'
          > available.

          I remember a decade ago signing a petition to letterbox Zulu (or maybe
          it was Waterloo; ask Craig, he was the one with the sign-up form). I'm
          sure a similar petition/letter-writing campaign could convince the DVD
          companies and the holder of the copyright of the profit-making
          potential of a DVD release.

          Spike Y Jones
        • Raymond Hobbs
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
            Way off 1812 topic, of course, but Why, Doug? Please be specific.
            Ray Hobbs
            1/41st

          • gjerdem@cwp.swrcb.ca.gov
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
              Dear Sirs,

              I just watched the bloody thing on DVD this past weekend. My friend
              bought it at a Best Buy for $7.00 US! I wish he had purchased the
              whole lot of them. Now, if we can only find Waterloo, the four hour
              version!

              Michael W. Gjerde,
              93rd Sutherland Highlanders

            • JGIL1812@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                gjerdem@... writes:

                << Dear Sirs,

                I just watched the bloody thing on DVD this past weekend. My friend
                bought it at a Best Buy for $7.00 US! I wish he had purchased the
                whole lot of them. Now, if we can only find Waterloo, the four hour
                version!

                Michael W. Gjerde,
                93rd Sutherland Highlanders >>

                To one and all.

                You can order "Zulu" on DVD at any Suncoast Video store here is the old USA.
                They usually have a single copy on hand.

                JG/RE
              • chimera1@sympatico.ca
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001

                • gjerdem@cwp.swrcb.ca.gov
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                    > gjerdem@c... writes:
                    >
                    > << Dear Sirs,
                    >
                    > I just watched the bloody thing on DVD this past weekend. My
                    friend bought it at a Best Buy for $7.00 US! I wish he had purchased
                    the whole lot of them. Now, if we can only find Waterloo, the four
                    hour version!

                    > Michael W. Gjerde,
                    > 93rd Sutherland Highlanders >>
                    >
                    > To one and all.
                    >
                    > You can order "Zulu" on DVD at any Suncoast Video store here is the
                    old USA.
                    > They usually have a single copy on hand.
                    >
                    > JG/RE

                    Oh, just learned that is a 6-hour version of Waterloo out there...

                    And the DVD was released in October 1999, is availabe from amazon.com
                    for 6.99....OK guys, you can return to the 21st century once in a
                    while...

                    MW Gjerde
                  • chimera1@sympatico.ca
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 6, 2001
                      Zulu Dawn (prequel to the excellent Zulu) seems to be a vehicle for
                      Burt Lancaster as Durnford. As one example, it takes him a
                      needlessly long time to die on the field after being shot - several
                      long sequences in fact. Makes me think of Elvis Presley's prolonged
                      dying sequence in Love Me Tender - all the girls in the theater
                      were crying, while all we guys laughed - but that was a long time
                      ago, and most of you probably haven't seen that *dog*.

                      In Zulu, Michael Caine was an unknown and perhaps Stanley Baker too -
                      they did workmanlike acting jobs in presenting the story.

                      The infantry companies on the left were armed with carbines in the
                      film. There are a number of anomalies like that which make one
                      cringe.

                      Perhaps Larry is right - it can be an entertaining film if you are
                      well lubricated. But Larry, you forgot to add the bitters to the gin!

                      But that's the last you will hear from me as an erstwhile film critic.

                      Doug