Re: [WarOf1812] zulu, dvd's

  • mmathews@VAX2.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
      >Jim adds:
      >the *real* shame is that the masterpiece, 'Zulu', is still, as
      >inconceivable as this might seem, *not* available on DVD!

      I wonder if there are any sequences edited out that could be restored? (He
      says wistfully)

      Nor, I might
      >add, is "Waterloo"

      So is there a six hour version out there somewhere, or is it an urban myth?
      The film certainly plays like it is missing a lot of filmed pieces.

      or "The Charge of the Light Brigade" (UK 1960's
      >version)!!!! Nor, 'Zulu Dawn'!!!!

      I used to have a copy of Zulu Dawn, but I loaned it out and the b*****d
      never returned it!! Now we've both moved to other parts.

      >But - not "Zulu", even though it was Michael Caine's first starring
      >role!!!! Even though the late, great, John Lennon went 'on record' in
      >print, as going to see it, and liking it!!! [trivia fact: he literally goes
      >"on the record" as well - it's the movie referred to in the lyrics of A Day
      >in the Life: " I saw'r a film today, Oh Boy - The English Army had just
      >won the war...." hey, forget the fact it was primarily a bunch of Welshmen
      >- he wasn't an historian, and 'Welsh" wouldn't fit the meter of the
      >song...] I shake my head in wonder...

      Is that "Men of Harlach" I hear in the distance?

      >Like, what's with those movie mogul guys?!?! Is there any way, short of
      >sending the sort of threatening letter that might end up inducing the local
      >SWAT team to pay a visit and surround one's house, to get the DVD producers
      >to sit up, take notice, and get on the ball?

      Through money at them, that's all they seem to notice. Though you'd think
      with as often as Zulu gets played on the cable channels they would assume
      it's a popular item.

      Michael

      Voice: (507) 285-7585 Cel: (507) 429-5945 Fax: (507) 280-5568
      ------------------------------
      "I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
      - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
        Though no DVD is not available there is a letterbox video copy of 'ZULU'
        available.

        The 6 hour version of Waterloo is not an urban legend but it may well no
        longer exist. This was the Russian (Soviet) cut by Serge Bondarchuck, but if
        you can find the novel based on the original script the blanks get filled in
        and you will find out why they keep cutting back to the two French
        Grenadiers.

        The film that MAY have some outakes to go bak is 'The Charge of the Light
        Brigade' Lawrence Harvey, who played Prince Menchikov, was entirely cut from
        the finished film.
      • HQ93rd@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
          In a message dated 3/2/01 8:41:44 AM, BritcomHMP@... writes:

          << The film that MAY have some outakes to go bak is 'The Charge of the Light
          Brigade' Lawrence Harvey, who played Prince Menchikov, was entirely cut from
          the finished film. >>

          Well, that's because they realized he died at "The Alamo" as Travis in 1960,
          and no one would believe he was still alive...
          ;-)
          93rd SHRoFLHU
          THE Thin Red Line
          www.93rdhighlanders.com
        • spikeyj@crosslink.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
            On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 BritcomHMP@... wrote:

            > Though no DVD is not available there is a letterbox video copy of 'ZULU'
            > available.

            I remember a decade ago signing a petition to letterbox Zulu (or maybe
            it was Waterloo; ask Craig, he was the one with the sign-up form). I'm
            sure a similar petition/letter-writing campaign could convince the DVD
            companies and the holder of the copyright of the profit-making
            potential of a DVD release.

            Spike Y Jones
          • Raymond Hobbs
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
              Way off 1812 topic, of course, but Why, Doug? Please be specific.
              Ray Hobbs
              1/41st

            • gjerdem@cwp.swrcb.ca.gov
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                Dear Sirs,

                I just watched the bloody thing on DVD this past weekend. My friend
                bought it at a Best Buy for $7.00 US! I wish he had purchased the
                whole lot of them. Now, if we can only find Waterloo, the four hour
                version!

                Michael W. Gjerde,
                93rd Sutherland Highlanders

              • JGIL1812@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                  gjerdem@... writes:

                  << Dear Sirs,

                  I just watched the bloody thing on DVD this past weekend. My friend
                  bought it at a Best Buy for $7.00 US! I wish he had purchased the
                  whole lot of them. Now, if we can only find Waterloo, the four hour
                  version!

                  Michael W. Gjerde,
                  93rd Sutherland Highlanders >>

                  To one and all.

                  You can order "Zulu" on DVD at any Suncoast Video store here is the old USA.
                  They usually have a single copy on hand.

                  JG/RE
                • chimera1@sympatico.ca
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001

                  • gjerdem@cwp.swrcb.ca.gov
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                      > gjerdem@c... writes:
                      >
                      > << Dear Sirs,
                      >
                      > I just watched the bloody thing on DVD this past weekend. My
                      friend bought it at a Best Buy for $7.00 US! I wish he had purchased
                      the whole lot of them. Now, if we can only find Waterloo, the four
                      hour version!

                      > Michael W. Gjerde,
                      > 93rd Sutherland Highlanders >>
                      >
                      > To one and all.
                      >
                      > You can order "Zulu" on DVD at any Suncoast Video store here is the
                      old USA.
                      > They usually have a single copy on hand.
                      >
                      > JG/RE

                      Oh, just learned that is a 6-hour version of Waterloo out there...

                      And the DVD was released in October 1999, is availabe from amazon.com
                      for 6.99....OK guys, you can return to the 21st century once in a
                      while...

                      MW Gjerde
                    • chimera1@sympatico.ca
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 6, 2001
                        Zulu Dawn (prequel to the excellent Zulu) seems to be a vehicle for
                        Burt Lancaster as Durnford. As one example, it takes him a
                        needlessly long time to die on the field after being shot - several
                        long sequences in fact. Makes me think of Elvis Presley's prolonged
                        dying sequence in Love Me Tender - all the girls in the theater
                        were crying, while all we guys laughed - but that was a long time
                        ago, and most of you probably haven't seen that *dog*.

                        In Zulu, Michael Caine was an unknown and perhaps Stanley Baker too -
                        they did workmanlike acting jobs in presenting the story.

                        The infantry companies on the left were armed with carbines in the
                        film. There are a number of anomalies like that which make one
                        cringe.

                        Perhaps Larry is right - it can be an entertaining film if you are
                        well lubricated. But Larry, you forgot to add the bitters to the gin!

                        But that's the last you will hear from me as an erstwhile film critic.

                        Doug