ZULU Pub

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2 7:31 AM
      From: lee caripidis

      "not to be 'nitpicking' but I believe you may mean ..."Black
      Horde...", sir. "Horde" derives from the Turkish word "ordu"
      for 'army'.

      To Lee and the horde who sent me notice off the list regarding this,

      Damn I didn't know that spelling counted! ........ -3 points

      also - 5 points as

      The flick ZULU
      is on tonight, Fri., March 2, on the
      Canadian History Channel n' not Sunday..............the shame!

    • Scott McDonald
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2 12:39 PM
        >Uh, Lar...not to be nit picky (well, ok, I AM being nit picky)...
        >but contrary to what everyone in the world seems to think the Zulus are
        >yelling in the movie , it is not "Zuuluuu".
        >It is "usuthuu".
        >
        >Frankenberries!
        >93rd SHRoFLHU
        >THE Thin Red Line
        >www.93rdhighlanders.com

        What, pray tell, does 'usuthuu' mean in English ??? Something like 'We're
        gonna run down the hill and kick your butt' I suspect.
        Cheers
        Scott
      • HQ93rd@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2 2:47 PM
          HQ93rd: << >Uh, Lar...not to be nit picky (well, ok, I AM being nit picky)...

          In a message dated 3/2/01 12:39:45 PM, raintree@... writes:
          >What, pray tell, does 'usuthuu' mean in English ??? Something like 'We're
          >gonna run down the hill and kick your butt' I suspect.
          >Cheers
          >Scott

          Well, it kinda evolved into that thought, in a way.

          uSuthu was originally the name given a "political" faction of the amaZulu
          that grew up around Cetshwayo and helped put him into power.
          So yelling and chanting uSuthu! would be akin to a Highland clansman shouting
          his clan name as he charged forward, or US Marines yelling "hooah!", or a
          college crowd shouting the team mascot name, or the Spanish yelling "Cid!
          Cid!" as Charlton Heston rides forth to battle.
          Or perhaps similar to what one sometimes hears at Olympic sporting events
          when the US supporters star chanting "U S A .. U S A..". It scares the
          beejeezus outta ya.
          ;-)

          93rd SHRoFLHU
          THE Thin Red Line