Re: [WarOf1812] ZULU Pub

  • lee caripidis
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2001
      Er......., not to be 'nitpicking' but I believe you may mean ..."Black
      Horde...", sir.
      "Horde" derives from the Turkish word "ordu",... for 'army'.
      Lee.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    • HQ93rd@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
        In a message dated 3/1/01 9:28:12 AM, lalozon@... writes:

        << ZUUUUUUUUUUUULUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! >>

        Uh, Lar...not to be nit picky (well, ok, I AM being nit picky)...
        but contrary to what everyone in the world seems to think the Zulus are
        yelling in the movie , it is not "Zuuluuu".
        It is "usuthuu".

        Frankenberries!
        93rd SHRoFLHU
        THE Thin Red Line
        www.93rdhighlanders.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
          From: lee caripidis

          "not to be 'nitpicking' but I believe you may mean ..."Black
          Horde...", sir. "Horde" derives from the Turkish word "ordu"
          for 'army'.

          To Lee and the horde who sent me notice off the list regarding this,

          Damn I didn't know that spelling counted! ........ -3 points

          also - 5 points as

          The flick ZULU
          is on tonight, Fri., March 2, on the
          Canadian History Channel n' not Sunday..............the shame!

        • Scott McDonald
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
            >Uh, Lar...not to be nit picky (well, ok, I AM being nit picky)...
            >but contrary to what everyone in the world seems to think the Zulus are
            >yelling in the movie , it is not "Zuuluuu".
            >It is "usuthuu".
            >
            >Frankenberries!
            >93rd SHRoFLHU
            >THE Thin Red Line
            >www.93rdhighlanders.com

            What, pray tell, does 'usuthuu' mean in English ??? Something like 'We're
            gonna run down the hill and kick your butt' I suspect.
            Cheers
            Scott
          • HQ93rd@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
              HQ93rd: << >Uh, Lar...not to be nit picky (well, ok, I AM being nit picky)...

              In a message dated 3/2/01 12:39:45 PM, raintree@... writes:
              >What, pray tell, does 'usuthuu' mean in English ??? Something like 'We're
              >gonna run down the hill and kick your butt' I suspect.
              >Cheers
              >Scott

              Well, it kinda evolved into that thought, in a way.

              uSuthu was originally the name given a "political" faction of the amaZulu
              that grew up around Cetshwayo and helped put him into power.
              So yelling and chanting uSuthu! would be akin to a Highland clansman shouting
              his clan name as he charged forward, or US Marines yelling "hooah!", or a
              college crowd shouting the team mascot name, or the Spanish yelling "Cid!
              Cid!" as Charlton Heston rides forth to battle.
              Or perhaps similar to what one sometimes hears at Olympic sporting events
              when the US supporters star chanting "U S A .. U S A..". It scares the
              beejeezus outta ya.
              ;-)

              93rd SHRoFLHU
              THE Thin Red Line