Re: Drill Fundamentals

  • Cpl. Wattie
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 23, 2001
      > The gentleman to whom I was referring rode back into the enemy
      formation in
      > order to save the trumpeter who had been wounded and cut off.
      Forgive me if I
      > STRONGLY object to him being called a Hyde Park soldier.

      Hello? It happened 150 years ago for god's sake ... all you had to do
      was point out the above and methinks that would've made your point.
      Assuming that was your point. I fail to see why anyone would get all
      worked up about this, unless they have a serious surplus of time and
      energy on their hands.

      > Discussion is one thing, adopting an arrogantly dismissive tone is
      another,
      Of course that never happens elsewhere on this list ...
    • Cpl. Wattie
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 23, 2001

        > Just remember, in every war that some of our guys fought and died
        for
        > our countries, some of their boys did the same for their
        > countries. So, instead of declaring any specific regiment a sacred
        cow
        > that cannot be criticized because it contained men who died for
        their
        > countries, we have to declare all soldiers, in all regiments, in all
        > armies, from all countries, in all wars off-limits.

        An excellent idea. No more petty criticism of the Waffen SS, Bosnian
        Serb militias, Salvadoran Tiger Battalions, Viet Cong, etcetera,
        etcetera, unfortunately ad infinitum.
      • chimera1@sympatico.ca
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 23, 2001
          --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Cpl. Wattie" <watties@i...> wrote:

          > > Just remember, in every war that some of our guys fought and died
          > for
          > > our countries, some of their boys did the same for their
          > > countries. So, instead of declaring any specific regiment a
          sacred
          > cow
          > > that cannot be criticized because it contained men who died for
          > their
          > > countries, we have to declare all soldiers, in all regiments, in
          all
          > > armies, from all countries, in all wars off-limits.
          >
          > An excellent idea. No more petty criticism of the Waffen SS,
          Bosnian
          > Serb militias, Salvadoran Tiger Battalions, Viet Cong, etcetera,
          > etcetera, unfortunately ad infinitum.

          Nor of the Canadian Volunteer guerrillas who acted ignominously for
          the American command, terrorizing the rural population in the Niagara
          Peninsula? - to bring this all back to our own period. Doug
        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 23, 2001
            As I said earlier this morning, I should not have posted anything. For
            personal reasons, that I will not go into, my buttons can be pushed far too
            easily right now. I thought I was being objective but, perhaps I am not.

            I would ask forgiveness of anyone I have offended, and of the list manager
            for stirring up a storm in a teapot. I will post again when things are on an
            even keel.

            Apologies

            Tim
          • HQ93rd@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 23, 2001
              << > Discussion is one thing, adopting an arrogantly dismissive tone is
              another,
              Of course that never happens elsewhere on this list ... >>

              What neveerrrr?
              No...never!
              What neveerrrr?
              ...Hardly eveeerrr!
              So give three cheers and three cheers more...

              ;-)
              (aka Dick Deadeye) (well, I am a bit triangular!)
              93rd SHRoFLHU
              THE Thin Red Line
              www.93rdhighlanders.com

              93rd SHRoFLHU
              THE Thin Red Line
              www.93rdhighlanders.com
            • HQ93rd@aol.com
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 23, 2001
                Oh my goodness gracious me, I am seeing much the displeasure offered in most
                part to you in regard to sacred cows.
                We are pleasing to announce that for economic desires of yourself a small
                portion of the River Ganges is set aside to accept the gracious plunging in
                of many seekers of the redemption coming from washing with vigor the
                accumulated karma of distressing many sacred cows for you.
                Please to let memsahibs be first to access the holy waters for their pure
                privacy and satisfaction in cleaning.
                We are asking for you to also visit our website for viewing greatness of many
                fine articles embroidered by hand here in our own factory for your
                satisfaction.

                Greeting you with many good days....

                Cpl Billy Fish
                93rd SHRoFLHU
                THE Thin Red Line
                www.93rdhighlanders.com
              • red.gold@sympatico.ca
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 24, 2001
                  --- In WarOf1812@y..., HQ93rd@a... wrote:
                  > Oh my goodness gracious me, I am seeing much the displeasure
                  offered in most
                  > part to you in regard to sacred cows.

                  Have a care, me laddie.
                  There's some aboot might take such talk as racist.
                  They had a go at me fer bein' nasty to Johnnies.

                  T.Avery
                • Cpl. Wattie
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 24, 2001
                    Thank you and ... come again!

                  • fishell@interlog.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 24, 2001
                      --- In WarOf1812@y..., BritcomHMP@a... wrote:
                      > As I said earlier this morning, I should not have posted anything.
                      For
                      > personal reasons, that I will not go into, my buttons can be pushed
                      far too
                      > easily right now. I thought I was being objective but, perhaps I am
                      not.

                      > I would ask forgiveness of anyone I have offended, and of the list
                      manager
                      > for stirring up a storm in a teapot. I will post again when things
                      are on an
                      > even keel.
                      >
                      > Apologies
                      >
                      > Tim

                      I apologize for not reacting sooner to the very handsome statement
                      above. I was so fed-up with the foregoing that I had eschewed this
                      site thereby missing the above until it was brought to my attention.
                      I must render my apologies for my statements if they were construed
                      as "intentional pushing of sensitive buttons" and there was no
                      intention to denigrate the parformance of the rank and file of the
                      regiments mentioned. Similarly, I could not have named the 11th
                      Hussars by other than their nicknames, there was no derrogatory
                      intent. I will however not offer any apologies for my attitude to the
                      Earl of Cardigan, whether for his envy/contempt of Waterloo veterans,
                      his unfortunate attitude to Indian Army veterans, his temper tantrum
                      about "black bottles" in the 11th Hussar Mess or any of his other
                      less endearing traits. No, I am not trying to push buttons.
                      Regards,
                      Fred