1812 Training Weekend

  • Leonard E Heidebrecht
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 10, 2001
      Hello List!

      After much too-ing and froe-ing the 1812 Training Weekend is a go!

      Date: 14-15 April 01 (Easter Weekend.)(Don't whine,)

      Time: 0900-1630 hr 14Apr01 (evening activities)
      0900-1200 hr 15Apr01 (so we can get to our dinners without the in-laws complaining),

      Location: Fort George, Niagara-on-the-Lake Ontario,

      Courses: (some are tentative, including precise names)Tactics on the Field, Strategy in the Dancefloor, The English Duel, Small Unit/Site Safety, The Role of the NCO, Ration Comparison (OR & Officer), Uniform and Clothing of the Period, Music in Garrison and Out, Campaign Style, What the Heck is a Gentleman Anyway?,

      Instructors: (just as tentative as the courses,) S Hartwick, M Garrison, L Stutt, C Williams, J Pudwell, S Draper, P Twist, R Flowers, T Macdonnell, A Bateman, B Sandler, Parks Canada Interpretation/Guides (TBA)

      Accomodations: Free use of the (heated) barracks, modern washroom and shower facilities. There are also numerous local B&Bs and other such establishments if you so chose,

      Meals: In an effort to keep down costs no meals are planned, though lunch and dinner times are quite generous. Period and Modern kitchens at Fort George are available within reason (please check with me in advance.)There is a possiblity of booking either The Angel Inn or The Landing for a meal the Saturday evening,

      Dress: Clothing specific to the 1812 period of study. Civilian or military,

      Cost: $20 Cdn or under to cover materials and photocopy expenses. Any surpluses will be donated to Ft George to cover cleanup, coffee, heat, goodwill, etc. Donations will be gladly accepted.

      Please pass this information on to your respective units, friends or colleagues. RSVP as soon as possible so that I might get an idea of the number of people attending.

      This course is open to anyone who wishes to attend, and while it does have a unit leader/British bias, I feel that it will be helpful to anyone who wishes to participate, US, Napoleonic or Canadian.

      See you soon.

      Cheers,

      Len

      L. E. Heidebrecht
      Lieutenant, Gren Coy,
      King's Regiment
      149 Tupper St E Apt 116
      Alliston Ont.,
      L9R 1G2
      Canada,
      (705) 435-7864

      Madness takes its toll.
      Exact change please.

      Get your small business started at Lycos Small Business at http://www.lycos.com/business/mail.html
    • fishell@interlog.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 11, 2001
        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Leonard E Heidebrecht" <lheidebrecht@L...>
        wrote:

        > Hello List!
        >
        > After much too-ing and froe-ing the 1812 Training Weekend is a go!

        Dear Len:
        I hate to nit-pick. Surely you mean to-ing and fro-ing. As a cooper
        you must know that a froe is a woodworking tool used for splitting
        cedar shakes.
        Fred
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 13, 2001
          From: Leonard E Heidebrecht

          ".... the 1812 Training Weekend is ...
          ...14-15 April 01 (Easter Weekend)
          ...0900-1630 hr 14Apr 01 ...
          ...0900-1200 hr 15Apr01...
          Fort George, Niagara-on-the-Lake Ontario
          (so we can get to our dinners without the in-laws complaining),

          Leonard, my Brother, I have been bombarded by E's
          since you posted this message, so I speak for
          the masses who would remain anonymous.

          1. Easter Weekend!!!!, are you sure the fort is not
          avail. any other week end?

          2. There is noo way that anyone from Detroit area will
          be able to be able to attend the " In-laws Dinner "
          and eat the Easter Bunny!

          3. As some who live further away will be driving the Friday,
          will accomodations be avail Fri. nite?

          Also may I add,

          Good work Len, thanks for organizing this week end.
          These questions are by no means a degrading of the effort, but
          on the contrary, only a vehicle for the shy ...............*

        • Craig Williams
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 13, 2001
            Larry,
            I think the idea was to present your objections when asked, so that they
            could be weighed BEFORE Len had to make an executive decision.

            Craig

            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 14, 2001
              Listoids,

              As I have said before, the Training weekend was sent after much tooing and froeing (thankyou for picking up on the coopering pun Fred.) Ft George, even in what we might think as the off season, is extremely busy weekends with Scouts, WW1 re-enactors and Parks Canada Training. I also wanted a time when Dave Webb was on the ground (some people have the NERVE to take vacations,) so we would have a friendly face and I might be able to con him into doing a lecture (oops was that an outloud voice?) Dave's brain is chock full of interesting and amazing information so I'm sure he could whip up a lecture at the drop of a shako, but doesn't want to put us to shame.

              I will be at the Fort in the evening Friday for candidate reception and a general(insert favourite rank here) fret.

              Please remember, that this is a voluntary function and if you cannot make the Sunday classes, we will understand. Mind you, the instructors may pout but we will understand. The astronomical tuition fee will have to remain the same, unfortunately.

              If you have any questions, comments or complaints, please call me at home: (705) 435-7864. Don't bother Unca Larry with questions as he is trying to cope with 'his little problem' right now. Hmm that should put the cat amongst the pigeons...

              Cheers,

              Len

              Documentdocumentdocubloodyment!

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 1, 2001
                Hello List,

                To keep everyone updated, the 1812 Training Weekend at Fort George 14-15 Apr 01 is still on and a number of people have prebooked. Instructors are pumped up and ready (or almost,) to teach you and your chums on numerous topics conserning our area of interest. Most of the prebooked attendees have opted for the 'Saturday Only' option (in that they'll only be there for Friday night and Saturday and I don't have an option.)

                If you have any questions or comments or wish to register, please contact me off list at lheidebrecht@... or at (705)435-7864.

                Happy St David's Day... Hava Leek!

                Cheers,

                Len

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 2, 2001
                  From: Leonard E Heidebrecht

                  "... the 1812 Training Weekend at Fort George 14-15 Apr 01
                  ....Instructors are ...ready ... to teach ... numerous topics

                  Len,
                  ~ who are the finalized Instructors, and what topic is
                  each Instructor presenting?

                  ~ have any Sutlers been invited?

                • lee caripidis
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 3, 2001
                    You might try Judy Morgan of Kenockee Tradin' Post. They're near Port
                    Huron, MI. ( I can't speak for her work load, though). (810)
                    324-2577
                    Lee.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    On Sun, 4 Mar 2001 14:30:50 -0500 "Maxine Trottier"
                    <maxitrot@...> writes:
                    > Just returned from Penetang and working on the rigging of HMS
                    > Tecumseth. So
                    > much line; so little time.
                    >
                    > I am looking to have a pair of front flap trousers and a shirt of
                    > blue and
                    > white ticking made. I'm near London, Ontario. Any suggestions? My
                    > 1812
                    > seamstress is completed booked with uniforms and such....
                    >
                    > Max

                    > hundreds of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the
                    > fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...
                    >
                    > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Maxine Trottier

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
                        --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Maxine Trottier" <maxitrot@e...> wrote:
                        > Just returned from Penetang and working on the rigging of HMS
                        Tecumseth. So
                        > much line; so little time.
                        >
                        > I am looking to have a pair of front flap trousers and a shirt of
                        blue and
                        > white ticking made. I'm near London, Ontario. Any suggestions? My
                        1812
                        > seamstress is completed booked with uniforms and such....
                        >
                        > Max

                        Hey Max,
                        Just to let you know my mom Linda Hanna(of Linda's Early Fashions)
                        is a historical seamstress - she is well know in rev and 1812
                        reenacting circles, consequently she is also making all of the
                        clothing for most of the other tall ship companies. Her email
                        address is lindasearlyfashions@... and her phone number is 905
                        770-4743
                        she is available most times if you need to give her a call
                        Hope this helps you out (and anyone else that needs historical
                        clothing, uniforms, accessories or would like a catalouge)
                        Amanda

                      • Maxine Trottier
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
                          She is exactly the person for whom I am looking. They were talking about her
                          work at the boat. I'll call. Thanks so much.

                          Max

                        • Maxine Trottier
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
                            We are watching The Madness of King George (loosely associated with the
                            period here on this list, what, what?) and noticed the equerry wearing a
                            bicornne. It's just after 1783. Would that have been correct?

                            Max

                            Maxine Trottier
                            maxitrot@...
                            http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm

                          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
                              In a message dated 3/4/2001 6:03:07 PM Central Standard Time,
                              maxitrot@... writes:

                              << We are watching The Madness of King George (loosely associated with the
                              period here on this list, what, what?) and noticed the equerry wearing a
                              bicornne. It's just after 1783. Would that have been correct? >>

                              Fabulous film, rotten costumes (the only good ones were those re-used from
                              'Revolution' (rotten film, great costumes!). Basically no, though the cocked
                              hat was changing the very high front cock that makes it look like the
                              'bicorn' did not occur until about 1790, the transformation was complete by
                              1799.

                              What annoyed me about the film was the abomination Nigel Hawthorne was forced
                              to wear, complete with Chelsea pensioners hat and French WW1 epaulettes.

                              My favorite scene is the one where he is being manhandled into the chair to
                              be strapped down. I instantly recognised the music in the background, it is
                              the beginning of the anthem 'Zadok the Priest' It is used at the coronation
                              as the King approaches the throne and the choir bursts forth in song as he
                              sits. In the film the choir comes in as they finally force him into the chair
                              and begin to strap him down. I find it impossible to watch that scene with
                              dry eyes.

                              Cheers
                            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
                                A correction to my original post. The rotten costumes were the military and
                                particularly the 'Windsor' uniforms. One assumes the costumes designers fee
                                did not run to the price of a ticket to the National Portrait Gallery.

                                The civilian clothes (which were mainly pulled from stock by people who knew
                                what they were about) were very good indeed.

                                Cheers
                              • mike dollinger
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
                                  >From: "Amanda H" <bertgirl1812@...>
                                  >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: [WarOf1812] Clothing needed?? Re Tecumseth
                                  >Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 20:47:29 -0000
                                  >

                                  > > seamstress is completed booked with uniforms and such....
                                  > I make a nice shirt or whatever else you may need Mike Dollinger
                                  > "tinker tailor soldier and soon to be sailor"

                                • Annette and Lloyd
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                                    Max
                                    Contact Sandy Boisineau for help , yet another good seamstress.
                                  • Leonard E Heidebrecht
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 10, 2001
                                      Hello Listoids,

                                      The 1812 Training Weekend at Ft George 14-15 April 01 proceeds well. I will publish a list of instructors and classes next week for your information, which, I hope, will meet with your approval.

                                      Remember that these classes, while they have a male, British, officer bias, are also meant to be attended by all ranks, genders and nationalities.

                                      One idea that has been floated is possibly having classes Good Friday and Saturday (13-14Apr) rather than Sat-Sun (14-15Apr). Give me a call off list with your opinions, please. It may be a bit late to change the dates but I value your opinion (though I may completely disregard it.)

                                      Cheers,

                                      Len
                                      (705)435-7864

                                    • lee caripidis
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                                        Andrew, would you contact me off line for a question please?
                                        Lee
                                      • johnvs64j@netscape.net
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
                                          List,
                                          I'm looking for a source for correct Empire style top(?) hats. These
                                          are shorter and more tapered than the 1830 style sold by Townsend.
                                          Are these still made by Hatcrafters and if so, what is their contact
                                          info.

                                          Thanks,
                                          John V.
                                        • Vince Wilding
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
                                            try:
                                            http://hatcrafters.com or 610-623-2620

                                            --
                                            Vince Wilding (Splotch, Fuzzee & Minnie's Majordomo)
                                            email:Vince (at) VinceWilding.com http://www.VinceWilding.com
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
                                              You could try John McMicking in Dundas

                                              I'm looking for a source for correct Empire style top(?) hats. These
                                              are shorter and more tapered than the 1830 style sold by Townsend.
                                              Are these still made by Hatcrafters and if so, what is their contact
                                              info.

                                              Thanks,
                                              John V.

                                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                            • James Aldrich
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
                                                johnvs64j@... wrote:

                                                > List,
                                                > I'm looking for a source for correct Empire style top(?) hats. These
                                                > are shorter and more tapered than the 1830 style sold by Townsend.
                                                > Are these still made by Hatcrafters and if so, what is their contact
                                                > info.

                                                Have you tried http://www.clearwaterhats.com/ Fur Trade section?

                                                JSA
                                                --
                                                Green Bay Lacrosse-- Play hard; play often.
                                              • Andrew Bateman
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
                                                  > Have you tried http://www.clearwaterhats.com/ Fur Trade section?
                                                  >
                                                  > JSA

                                                  You won't go wrong with Clearwater. Their Civil War hats are excellent -
                                                  authentic right down to the lining. Check out Fur Trade Page 2 for the
                                                  "Carriage Hat" - looks like just what you are looking for.

                                                  Andrew Bateman, 1/41st
                                                • colsjtjones2000@yahoo.ca
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
                                                    --- In WarOf1812@y..., "Andrew Bateman" <abateman@f...> wrote:
                                                    > > Have you tried http://www.clearwaterhats.com/ Fur Trade section?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > JSA
                                                    >
                                                    > You won't go wrong with Clearwater. Their Civil War hats are
                                                    excellent -
                                                    > authentic right down to the lining. Check out Fur Trade Page 2 for
                                                    the
                                                    > "Carriage Hat" - looks like just what you are looking for.
                                                    >
                                                    > Andrew Bateman, 1/41st

                                                    Hey - great stuff! But where are the 1812 period hats? Doug
                                                  • colsjtjones2000@yahoo.ca
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
                                                      Apologies - I didn't initialy see the reference in the upper left
                                                      hand corner of the site. Hats claiming to be of our period are in
                                                      fact included. Doug

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jul 26, 2001
                                                        colsjtjones2000@... wrote:

                                                        > Hey - great stuff! But where are the 1812 period hats? Doug

                                                        Mainly in the Fur Trade section. They will also work with you on modifications. They don't offer an F&I cocked hat but they made one to my specifications.

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jul 29, 2001
                                                          >From: James Aldrich <jaldrich@...>
                                                          >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                                                          >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Re: hats
                                                          >Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 01:07:16 -0500
                                                          >
                                                          >colsjtjones2000@... wrote:
                                                          >
                                                          > >I'm expecting a shippment of 6 M1813 tombstone shako's and 4 early felt
                                                          >shako's this week . Also US hat plates and five ball sabers
                                                          I hope to have a nice stock of watch coats a tunics for Mississinewa

                                                          Mike Dollinger