8976Re: Officers from the ranks....

  • Col Sjt Jones
    Jan 1, 2001
      HQ93rd@a...
      > writes:
      >
      > << Perhaps the people who will be running the officer/NCO courses
      could
      > include training in enunciating from the diaphragm rather than the
      > throat, so that a commander's voice is not lost to a hoarse gargle
      > half way through a battle. >>
      >
      > Amen to that!
      > >>

      > Yes, its called singing! A (long) while ago there was a programe
      about the
      > preparations for Trooping the Colour for the Queens Birthday
      Parade. It was
      > pointed out that the Brigade Major (the chap who sits on his horse
      shouting
      > out all the orders) go 6 months of singing lessons to teach him how
      > project from the diaphragm and not wreck his throat in a few
      minuets.
      > I can also just remember when all the regiments of Foot Guards had
      slightly
      > different notes to the orders so that, if more than one unit was on
      parade at
      > the same time, it was obvious which officer was giving the orders.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Tim

      In my early days as commanding sjt of the Imuc I was apparently known
      as the "singing serjeant". I suppose both for my elevated voice of
      command and the fact that my commands were usually attenuated in
      modern fashion - and that my singing voice is high. Doug
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic