7139Re: [WarOf1812] Re: War of 1812 Naval Battles

  • Fitzhugh MacCrae
    Sep 1, 2000
      --- mmathews@... wrote:
      > >--- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Fitzhugh MacCrae
      > <alaidh@y...> wrote:
      > >>

      > >> Um, Alexandria's on the Potomac, across from
      > >> Washington Navy Yard. Couldn't have been that
      > hard a
      > >> sail if they were building 44's at the yard.
      > >>
      > >> Fitz
      > >>
      > >Actually Alexandria lies about 5 miles below the
      > Navy
      > >Yard. And I don't believe they ever built 44's
      > there
      > >just 28's and 36's. One was on the stocks when the
      > >Navy Yard was set on fire.
      > >

      > I *think* this is where the Columbia was burned
      > IIRC, and she was rated a
      > 44. Could easily be wrong.

      You are correct - the Columbia was a 44. Also present
      and burned at the time was the New York 36, Boston 32,
      at least one of the old 28's, and the Argus II, 18.

      Fitz

      =====
      Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale

      "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"

      "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic