7118Re: [WarOf1812] Naval battles

  • Rob Taylor
    Sep 1, 2000
      --- "Ibbotson, Mark [LSS]"
      <m.ibbotson@...> wrote:
      Also you could back up
      my theory that a lot of the U.S crews were British
      deserters, that goes for U.S land forces also.

      The book by Roosevelt, says something to this effect.
      In it he says James makes this assumption, Roosevelt
      disagrees. This is why I want to find other books on
      the subject. Each side seams to be accusing the other
      of exaggerating. At least that's what I read in this
      one book.

      <m.ibbotson@...> wrote:
      You have to remember the
      states only had those bloody frigates and 1 v 1
      against a british frigate showed who had superior
      designs.

      That's what I have learned so far. That and the better
      trained crews made the world of difference.

      --- "Ibbotson, Mark [LSS]"
      <m.ibbotson@...> wrote:
      If only Yeo had the
      balls of Nelson eh.

      It would have made the world of difference I suspect.
      But it seems on Lake Ontario, both were content to do
      almost nothing, while blaming the other for not
      initiating the battles.

      > Rob I do not know if Jame's book is still in print
      > but i have seen the book you refer too but never
      > bothered to read it. perhaps now i will.
      >
      > Superior frigates on the U.S side showed Britain a
      > thing or two. Even some spectacular defeats "Perry"
      > & constitution for a start.
      >
      > Britian did manage a successfull blockade in the
      > end, 74 gun + men o war saw to that.
      > You have to remember the states only had those
      > bloody frigates and 1 v 1 against a british frigate
      > showed who had superior designs.
      >
      > Also you could back up my theory that a lot of the
      > U.S crews were British deserters, that goes for U.S
      > land forces also.
      >
      > If only Yeo had the balls of Nelson eh.
      >
      > Ibbo

      http://mail.yahoo.com/