584Re: 1812 vs Napoleonic events

  • BritcomHMP@xxx.xxx
    Mar 2, 1999
      allan@... writes:

      << Tim, I have to disagree with you there about the authenticity of the
      200th anniversary events in Europe. At Fishguard, the European units
      turned up in period kit for 1797 - the British re-enactors mostly wore
      what they normally wore, including 1815 uniforms, and I believe the same
      happened at Malta last year. I know that in the end the time period had
      to be expanded to 1803 to allow for the stovepipe shakos that most of
      the Brits wear. At Fishguard I overheard someone ask 'What uniform are
      they wearing?' on seeing our 1797 kit, and hearing Trevor Horn of the
      Royal Artillery Band reply 'That's the correct uniform for this period'
      - that's how rare the period uniform was at the event! And another
      regiment asked 'Would our regiment have worn a uniform like that?'! I
      don't think it even occurred to them that their uniform had changed,
      ever! And I think that even you would have to admit that Waterloo is a
      bit of a free for all!;-)

      Rosemary, thank you sooooooo much for muddying the waters! :-)

      I was actually referring to the rules used by the European Union of Re-
      enactment Societies and I was very careful to state for 200th Anniversary
      events which will only include Waterloo in 2015.
      Now I am quite aware that the general view of the British re-enactor is "I've
      worn this for the last 10 years, why should I get a new one?" But there are
      those of us who have fought the uphill battle to try to get correct kit used.

      The fact that some units might turn up incorrectly attired has to be faced and
      if no one is going to put out the info beforehand or tell people that (for a
      particularly important event) "Sorry you can't take part dressed like that",
      then one must expect people to take liberties.