562Re: 1812 vs Napoleonic events

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Mar 1 4:04 PM
      mmathews@... writes:

      << I guess my philosophy is that a bunch of properly attired, safe reenactors
      from the same time line would/should be welcome. Bit of the "brothers (and
      sisters in our case) in arms" thing. But there are many things in the
      reenacting world I don't understand, just being at it for a comparatively
      short time (7 years). Like why there are often eight units of eight men
      each, rather than one real unit of 64? But that's the topic of another
      discussion. I was planning to introduce this topic of French involvement
      at some point, but wanted to get the feel of the list first. But to
      paraphrase, "the eggs are broken, so let's make an omelet!" ;-) >>

      Nicely put Mike, As you are no doubt aware the 200th anniversary events in
      Europe are incredibly authentic. They will not even permit women who can be
      recognized as such in the ranks and an 1803 habit vest may not be worn at a
      1799 event (even though to the uninitiated there is no difference). However
      for the every day events we are more than happy to accommodate units that want
      to join in.

      As you may well be aware the New Orleans event in January would welcome some
      French participation as one of the local militia units obtained its kit from
      France. Basically to accurately represent Plauche's Uniformed Battalion all
      you need are shako covers, well to be strictly accurate a change of buttons
      too but I think the NPS would let that pass.