560Re: 1812 vs Napoleonic events

  • Rob Taylor
    Mar 1, 1999
      Hello probably Lynda and maybe Derek Leopold:
      you wrote:
      In a similar vein...it has always amazed me how many
      Canadians (esp.Toronto-types) do US Civil War!!! The reenactment held
      each year near Toronto gets more soldiers than 1812 could ever hope
      for!!! C'mon guys---NOT our war!!!!(Again we could argue the merits
      of THAT statement but...)

      Canadians in the American Civil War
      It is estimated that between 40,000 to 50,000 Canadians took part in
      the American Civil War. One such fellow was Private Jerry Cronan who
      died of wounds sufferred in the Battle of Spotsylvania. He is the only
      Canadian buried in Arlington National Cemetery. A member of the
      Confederate army, he was buried at Arlington shortly before it became
      a cemetery for Union soldiers.

      Rob Taylor

      War of 1812 Website: http://members.tripod.com/~war1812/
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic