47192Re: 1812 Bicentennial events in 2014-15

  • Ed Seufert
    Jan 31, 2014
      Commodore Tom,

      I'd still be wary of some of Fulton's infernal machines if I were you!

      Just so happens that Myron and I have met with both Jeff-Patt and Bladensburg in the past two weeks and have a better idea of bicentennial events here in the Chesapeake.

      To give an idea of locations, I've created URLs for google maps for each of the major events.  All maps are taken down to the same scale level,  500ft/200M, in order to give a relative size for each location.  The letters "A" and "B" on each are the approximate size of the battle field area.

      Jefferson-Patterson Park - June 21-22 - http://goo.gl/maps/zd6xh
      The original actions at St Leonards Creek were mostly naval.  Commodore Barney's gunboat flotilla was bottled up in the creek by Royal Navy gunboats and warships and the two actions were the result of his attempting to get free.  Jeff-Patt plans to have a naval engagement at the mouth of the creek as one of their battles and two land engagements on the fields noted.  (We will not have access to all the fields as we did in 2008.)  Royal Navy landing parties did land near the marked fields in 1814.

      Bladensburg - Aug 23-24 - http://goo.gl/maps/fz47n
      Most of the bicentennial activities will be at the Bladensburg Waterfront Park.  We will recreate the Battle of Bladensburg on the fields noted in two stages separated by a short break.  The vast majority of the original battlefield on the other side of the Anacostia is taken up by urban sprawl and the Lincoln cemetery.  The Royal Navy contingent of Ross's Army numbered 12 Officers and 235 sailors as well as Royal Marines.

      Caulks Field - Aug 30-31 - http://goo.gl/maps/jHFk3
      This is a Royal Navy affair with the British attack force made up of Sailors and Royal Marines.  The field is the original field, mostly unchanged over the past 200 years and still plum farmland.  The main re-enactment will take place on the 31st, 200 years to the day of the original, following ceremonies dedicating two new monuments.  One of these will be for the 12 British dead still buried somewhere on the field.  We will need sailors with either pike and musket, both documented as being used in this action.

      North Point - Sept 6-7 - http://goo.gl/maps/1JfoM
      This action defines the Battle of Baltimore (original date is Sept 12).  A tactical defeat for the Americans here was also a strategic victory as it delayed a planned assault on the city.  Like Bladensburg, the original battlefield is surrounded by suburban sprawl though nine acres still remain and are undergoing development as a State Battlefield Park.  General Ross's death in this action derailed the British attack on Baltimore and directly affected the actions at New Orleans.  The Royal Navy contributed a battalion of 600 sailors to this action.  (The dock next to the battlefield on the map is only accessible to very small boats; not much depth to the waters in this area.  Check with Myron.)

      Ft McHenry - Sept 11-14
      Since there are no opposing forces, there is no battle re-enactment so no map.  A new paper outlining the activities at the fort was just sent out today and I still need to digest it all.  Safe to say, if you plan to camp there, you will need to be on site by the 11th and will not get out until the evening of the 14th.  Activities aboard any vessel laying off Ft McHenry are not under the jurisdiction of the NPS and I understand the dock of the fort is NOT open for use by said vessels.

      I also plan to be aboard the Witch (not which), provided my invite is not revoked and have offered my Marines to maintain law and order aboard any historic vessel that wishes to be in attendance.  (By my estimates, I think that puts about 50 of us on the Witch!)  We need to maintain the proper ratio of sailors and marines for each boat at 4 to 1.

      There are other smaller activities planned of which several are still be worked on.  One of these is the attack on Ft Washington which is scheduled for July 13 (original date, Aug 27) and the surrender of Alexandria, Aug 31.

      There are also some events where the Pride of Baltimore will be involved though that schedule is not available yet.  The Pride, for this year, will be staying in Chesapeake waters.  I also understand the Lynx will be in here for some events.

      I hope this helps in some of your decision making.

      Cheers,

      Ed Seufert, Sgt
      1812 Royal Marines
      www.facebook.com\1812RoyalMarines