47135Re: Fort Niagara Event

  • ROB
    Dec 22, 2013
      Hello, Merry Christmas and Season's Greetings to All.

      In addition to Captain Fournier's comments, I would like to add that my detachment and personnel from the RNR stayed behind to participate in an Education Day at the fort.

      We simulated our morning attack in front of approximately 500 public school kids from local schools, including those from the Tuscarora First Nations School.

      My group demonstrated some drill movements, a bayonet charge, then watched US troops demonstrate their tactics, including cannon and musketry. We were treated to a number of kids coming by in groups to ask questions about the war, the morning's attack and our uniforms.

      I have to admit that the most enjoyable part of this Q&A was when 4 young lads peppered Graeme and I with questions. Their thirst for knowledge was insatiable. Their most enjoyable question was, "Are you 2 really from Canada?" I didn't have the heart to be sarcastic in my response....they were just too fascinated by the goings on to be anything less than sincere.

      Also appreciated was a brief 'Holy Grail' moment involving a US trooper with a great French accent playing out that special scene involving the rejection of the English entreaty (well played by Sgt. Kevin Garrett...who else could play the role of instigator??!!) to join us on the quest, from his perch, in highest window of the old French fort. Laughter is like a warm blanket on a cold morning.

      I was very glad to be part of such a great day. The 'March in the Dark' was wonderful for the singular reason of being part of a line of 'ghosts in grey great coats' thudding our way along the asphalt, that may very well have been the same route taken by British soldiers 200 years ago. To be part of a group of like-minded individuals, dedicated to preserving and honouring our history is truly a privilege.

      Part of what feeds my love of this hobby is the opportunity to walk in the paths that others have trod. Thursday morning was such a day.

      Thanks to all who came out and, especially, those who were up at 0300, slaving to cook a wonderful and gratefully received breakfast in the warm Youngstown Volunteer Firehall.

      Always, (and yes, from Canada!!)

      Rob McGuire, Private
      1st Regiment of Foot (Royal Scots)
      Grenadier Company

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <tom4141fournier@...> wrote:

      > http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/lewiston-porter/200th-anniversary-of-siege-of-fort-niagara-re-enacted-20131219 http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/lewiston-porter/200th-anniversary-of-siege-of-fort-niagara-re-enacted-20131219
      >
      > What an incredible experience!
      >
      > News story in link above.
      >
      > We were part of the contingent staying at Fort George who then boarded transports and crossed the Niagara River to 5 Mile Meadow just north of Lewiston (let your imagination run wild and ignore the fact for us it was school buses and our journey incuded a parade through the US customs and immigration offices to get our passports scanned).
      >
      > The British column set off at approx. 3:45 a.m. and marched 5 miles along the river road through Youngstown to the approaches of the Fort.
      >
      > At that point, it split into two attack columns with one going through the river gate and going towards the French Castle and the other column going through the Sally Port and then splitting to take the North and South Deboubts.
      >
      > The action was over quickly and was done in front of 100+ spectators.
      >
      > A ceremony was done post action on the parade in the Fort and then the reenactors were moved to Youngstown and a breakfast in the town Fire Hall and then went to support a memorial in nearby Falkner Park.
      >
      > The Fort George detachment was back in Canada by 8;00 a.m.
      >
      > All in all an amazing day and a memorable experience.
      >
      > Our thanks and congratulations to the organizing committee and Fort Niagara
      >
      > I would also like to extend our appreciation and thanks to our hosts at Fort George for arranging accomodation and transportation - what marvelous friends and partners!
      >
      > Truly I remain,
      >
      > Your most humble and obedient Servant
      >
      > Tom Fournier, Captain
      > 41st Regiment of Foot