47038Battle of Chateauguay

  • Victor Suthren
    Oct 8, 2013

      Sue Too, et al

      I’m sure there were many good reasons for staging the re-enactment on the date selected, and it’s good to hear it was successful. It’s just that there is a certain special feeling about redoing an event, particularly a commemorative one like the 200th, on the actual date, and in similar conditions to what were experienced at the original. The interpretive film which showed for many years at Allan’s Corners at the Visitor Centre was filmed for Parks Canada in late October 1977, and having written a history of the battle I certainly came away with a much greater respect for the Canadian defenders---and the suffering of the Americans---in the frigid, drizzly conditions. (If anyone saw the film, I’m the US officer who gets shot off his horse by ‘De Salaberry. It was a long way down to the ground!’).

      Vic Suthren

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic