      Also to be considered are the limitations imposed on Parcs Canada in regards to budgets and scheduling . Having the event on the correct date would have meant an extra three weeks of overhead for the site. Something not feasible in this day and age of deep cutbacks.

      There will however be a formal ceremony to be held at the battlefield obelisk on the 26th October with many modern regiments attending

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 2013-10-08, at 7:35 AM, <saultcitysoo@...> wrote:

      Well, first of all, the weather at the end of October can be pretty iffy for camping out.

      Secondly, we don't know if the Ormstown Fairgrounds where the camps and facilities were located was available later on.

      And finally, celebrating the event a few weeks early is no biggy. After all, don't we do the Battle of Crysler's Farm in July, not on the actual November date?

      Unconfirmed reports say that between 1200 and 1500 spectators witnessed the battle. I know personally that there were many people touring the camp. Spectators were lined up for the buses that transported them to the battle site, and the buses never seemed to stop running!

      Visitors were fascinated by all of it! They had never had anything like it before and the enthusiasm was evident. What surprised me, was the large numbers of people who told me "my ancestor fought in this battle". Some of them came from as far away as Perth ON to experience this.

      And this was a one-time-only event.

      cheers,

      Sue Too

      ---In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <warof1812@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Gentlemen

      Glad to hear of the re-enactment, but sorry it conflicted with the Battle of the Thames 200th. I’m sure you are all aware that the Battle of the Chateauguay was fought on Tuesday, October 26, 1813.

      See Suthren, V.: ‘The Battle of Chateauguay’, in Occasional Papers in Archeology and History (Ottawa, Parks Canada, 1973), No. 11, pp. 96-150.

      Vic Suthren

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic