47019RE: [WarOf1812] New Poll for WarOf1812

  • petemonahan
    Sep 30, 2013

      Jim

      Went to the poll, clicked on my choice - the third one - and nothing happened, so I don't know whether it registered or not.  Couldn't see a 'submit' button or anything similar on the page.  Confused!

      ---In warof1812@yahoogroups.com, <jyaworsky@...> wrote:

      I have created a poll to get a sense of the group's wishes in respect to the moderating of new messages.

      Three options are available, which could be summarizsed as no moderation whatsoever,  moderation required for each and every message, or partial moderation of only new members in order to determine that they are not a spammer.

      Currently, we are on "full moderate" - every single message has to be approved by one of the group moderators before it is posted to the group.

      For most of the history of the group, we have been on "new members *only* are moderated, until they demonstrate that they are not spammers".

      Please note that most of the "spamming" incidents in the last few years have involved trusted members whose email identities are hijacked by spammers.  Obviously, the "new members only" option will *not* stop this sort of spam tactic.  This is why we are currently on "full moderate".    Please note that when someone's email identity is "spoofed", we have, in the past, put just that person on moderated status, until they are able to clear up the problem.

      The reason I ask the question is because getting a message approved can take anything from a few minutes, to a few hours, and occasionally even a day or two, as it totally depends on one of the list moderators being or going on-line and unfortunately,. we are not "on duty" 24/7...  Delay in message approval probably has a damping effect in getting any sort of active thread going.  Of course, it also helps stop flame wars...  ;>)

      Jim Yaworsky

      Chief Moderator

      ---In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <warof1812@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      WarOf1812 group:

      Do you wish messages on this group to be "moderated"?

      Discussion: If messages are moderated, there will be no spam messages. However, the posting of a message will usually then be delayed.

      - Only moderate new members, and only until they show they are not spammers
      - Yes, moderate all messages
      - No, moderate no messages

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!