46910Cape Vincent War of 1812 Bicentennial Celebration

  • Michael Chavoustie
    Jul 29, 2013
      vGood Day,

      I'm writing from Cape Vincent, NY. I recently joined your yahoo forum, and was hoping to forward some more details on an event I am planning here. Our event is really taking shape, and we would love to be able to include any number of your group in our encampment and, more importantly, our skirmish re-enactment. We will be recreating a British attack on our village, with the members of the Forsyth regiment engaging the raiding party. We plan to have the British approach Cape Vincent aboard the ship La Revenante, disembark, and engage the Forsyth Rifles. We are still seeking members from both sides of the lines to participate.

      I would also like to inform any potential attendees that we are willing to provide a powder stipend, food and drink, and also cover some travel expenses. We have also been given access by two local NY State Parks to free camping, in an attempt to accommodate any persons re-enactors may have travelling with them.

      More info can be found at www.facebook.com/capevincentwarof1812

      We have also set up a tentative schedule of events, which is as follows:

      Friday, August 23rd
      Set up soldier encampment
      Arrival of Tall Ships Lois McClure & La Revenante
      Welcome Reception, Live Jazz Band outside under large tent
      Sunset Cruise around Revolutionary War Fort Haldimand (cost to board boat), on board lecture on about the fort

      Saturday, August 24th
      09:00 Historical Walking Tour of Village
      09:00 Arrival of Tall Ship St. Lawrence II
      09:00 Tall Ships and encampment open for public viewing
      09:00 Antique Boat rides on St. Lawrence River
      09:30 Towpath "Spirit of 76" Fife & Drum Corps performances around grounds (periodically throughout day)
      10:00 Hospice Charity Cup Sailing Regatta Races begin (on St. Lawrence River)
      10:00 Lecture Series- Donald Graves
      10:30 Brockville Pipe Band performances around grounds (periodically throughout day)
      11:00 Lecture Series- Dianne Graves
      12:00 Lecture/Performance David Ruch, The War of 1812: Songs and Stories from New York and Beyond
      13:30 Battle Skirmish Re-enactment. British attack village aboard La Revenante, encounter Forsyth Rifleman onshore
      15:00 Historical Walking Tour of Village
      19:00 Regatta Dinner, live music and dancing under large tent

      Sunday, August 25th
      07:00 Sunrise Church Service on shore of St. Lawrence River
      08:00 Pancake Breakfast, United Church
      09:00 Tall Ships and encampment open for public viewing
      09:00 Lecture Series- Patricia Regan
      10:30 Battle Skirmish Re-enactment (tentative)
      11:45 Lecture Series- John Bilow
      12:00 Lecture Series- Dennis McCarthy
      13:00 Lecture Series- Dr. Doug Pippen
      14:00 Break up of encampment, conclusion of events

      Again, we hope you have considered our event and are willing to attend. We are looking forward to making this a memorable event for both participants and attendees. I am the president of the Chamber of Commerce here in Cape Vincent, but I am also a business owner. I own and operate a restaurant/pub directly across the street from the encampment grounds. I assure you I will provide you and your group the most hospitable of times, and your cup shall never go dry! (www.facebook.com/aubreysinn.cv, www.aubreysinn.com) Looking forward to hearing from you.

      Best Regards,
      Michael
      315-783-9062

      From: Agesdas@...
      Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 10:40:04 -0400
      Subject: Re: Cape Vincent War of 1812 Bicentennial Celebration
      To: chavoustiemichael@...

      Hello

      Thank you for the flyer information concerning the event.

      The season has not really started for the Voltigeurs, even though I have done my first event. May see some this weekend coming at the F.&I show, so will see. As mentioned, most of the group is scheduled for another event that same weekend, where we are the host unit, so do not want to take away from the needed attendance, even though it is Rev. War.

      I may, as I said, come alone or with one other. I have penciled this in and will keep you abreast as the season goes along.

      Thank you
      Albert Smith
      Voltigeur

      "For history to be of value, it must reach the people and move them both emotionally and intellectually."

      In a message dated 2013-05-30 12:10:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, chavoustiemichael@... writes:

      Good Day, Mr. Smith,

      I'm writing again from Cape Vincent, NY.

      I was hoping to inquire as to whether anyone from your group has been discussing our event? At the risk of bothering, I simply want to stay on top of my contacts and keep our event fresh in everyone's minds.

      I've attached a copy of our recently published flyer, as well as some accompanying registration forms.

      Looking forward to hearing back from you.

      Thank you,

      Michael

      From: Agesdas@...
      Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 09:10:29 -0400
      To: chavoustiemichael@...

      Hello, Please keep me on the mailing list with any updates between now and the event.
      For now, I cannot guarantee anything, as we did not vote on participating at this event. Most of us also do Revolutionary war, so are committed to an annual event in New Hampshire that same weekend. It usually is in September, but was changed due to scheduling conflicts.
      What I may do, and it depends how burnt out I am by August with the events, since I have one two weeks before this and one immediately following, is go down by myself for the weekend.
      Given it is the bicentennial of the Voltigeur attack of the village, I would like to see it.
      Albert Smith
      Canadian Voltigeur

      "For history to be of value, it must reach the people and move them both emotionally and intellectually."

      In a message dated 2013-03-23 2:51:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, chavoustiemichael@... writes:

      Calling all War of 1812 re-enactors and history enthusiasts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      I'm writing from the Cape Vincent Chamber of Commerce, inviting you to take part in our upcoming War of 1812 Bicentennial Celebration. Scheduled for the weekend of August 23rd-25th, 2013, we have a great lineup planned. A brief summary of events scheduled is as follows:

      Encampment
      Sutlers
      Tall Ship Le Revenante
      Lecture series featuring Donald & Diane Graves, Patrick Wilder, David Ruch, John Bilow and Dr. Doug Pippin
      Historical walking tour
      Two country sailboat regatta
      Towpath Volunteer Fife & Drum Corps
      Battle Skirmish re-enactment
      Friday evening sunset cruise around Fort Haldimand
      Outdoor reception each night featuring live music and dancing
      We have received confirmation from the Forsyth group out of Ogdensburg, and are now seeking additional re-enactors and sutlers. We are asking for groups to participate in our encampment, and assist in informing the public by taking part in drill demonstrations, musket and rifle demonstrations, camp life, cooking, etc., as well as a staged skirmish.

      We are willing to provide a powder stipend, and will supply cured wood, twine and any other items you may require. Food and beverage will also be provided.

      Looking forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

      Regards,

      Michael Chavoustie
      President
      Cape Vincent Chamber of Commerce