      From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Jim
      Sent: May-08-13 4:40 PM
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: 1812 Re: Laura Secord

      Thanks Len
      Not sure how big of a house or lawn you have but Mrs Secord's place is not
      very big. So, having more than a few dozen folks there at a time will fill
      the place. Having a battle or parade or even parking on the neighbours'
      lawns - not considered great ideas (although some of you might remember
      fighting through the village of Queenston in 1992).

      I have received some great responses. Very enthusiasitic folks had the
      calendar marked, probably since they finished Grade 7, and they are super
      keen on Laura Secord (chocolates and ice cream). Others are looking forward
      to Beaver Dams and hundreds of crazy (dedicated)people have already signed
      up for the 32km / 19 mile hike from Laura's place to Thorold/Beaver Dams.

      Myths - yeah Laura has a few. She gets younger and some might say, 'hotter',
      on the chocolate boxes. Many serious historians are not fans, she is
      'overdone'. The guy she warned, this Fitzgibbon character, did write three
      letters (with some prompting from the Secord's) to acknowledge Mrs.Secord's
      assistance in the victory at Beaver Dams. He also acknowledged that his men
      didn't fire a shot and the fighting was conducted by Seven Nations and Six
      Nations warriors. For a poor officer, up from the ranks, he needed to take
      all the glory but he gave credit to the people who helped or actually did
      all the hard work. Fitzgibbon simply took advantage of the situation and the
      field commander, Captain Dominique Ducharme, didn't think his English was
      good enough to negotiate.

      There are plenty of mythical events on the calendar. I am sure Lt Col
      Boerstler would have wished away Beaver Dams as a myth or a bad dream. Alas,
      tis true. He lost to underwhelming numbers of scary Indians, a quick
      thinking British Army Lieutenant, a helpful 37 year-old mother of five and a
      savvy Toronto confectioner who borrowed the name in 1913.

      Hope to see you Len, and everybody else, at George, Stoney and the Forty.

      Jim

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> ,
      "lenthecooper" <lheidebrecht@...> wrote:

      > Oh no Jim, you are eight months too late in announcing this event. What a
      great living history event this could have been with a little forewarning. I
      really hope you have a good turn out (I'm booked, sorry) as it is such
      iconic and mythologized (there ain't no cow) portion of Canadian history. I
      will pass this onto the folks in my unit who might be interested.
      > Have a fantastic time, it sounds like great fun.
      > Cheers,
      > Len Heidebrecht
      > York Volunteers
      >
      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> ,
      "Jim" <jhill@> wrote:

      > > Hello Folks
      > > I know this summer is cranking up and Fort Meigs was brilliant. I also
      know the nice folks in Spencerville, Ontario have activities the same
      weekend, but here goes...

      > > On June 21st and June 22nd, we will be commemorating Laura Secord at her
      Homestead in Queenston, Ontario. This will mark the 200th anniversary of Mrs
      Secord's walk into history. We will have a stamp and coin unveiling from
      Canada Post and the Royal Canadian Mint at 10am on Friday June 21st at the
      Homestead and the remainder of the day will be dedicated to student
      programmes.

      > > At 5pm, the event will shift to Queenston Heights and a Toast to Laura
      Secord. This will involve Wine (we're in Niagara), Cheese (she had a cow -
      really?!) and Chocolate (it is Laura Secord). The cost is $50 for the gala
      event and contact information will be announced soon.

      > > On Saturday June 22nd, starting at 6am, the walkers will start arriving
      and step through the same door, on the same day, at the same time, of Laura
      Secord's departure. You can sign up to recreate the entire walk (19 miles/32
      Km), or segments of the walk, at www.FriendsofLauraSecord.com and the cost
      is $25.

      > > However, there is an alternative. You are welcome to come to the
      Homestead on Friday and Saturday and hang out with us and the public. No
      long marches, no speeches, just a relaxing day in a lovely setting. This is
      not a battle reenactment, although the village is part of the battlefield of
      Queenston Heights. We encourage anyone who is portraying mid-war US troops,
      (i.e.- US Light Artillery, 6th, 13th, 14th, 23rd Infantry or State Militia)
      to join us for either day and British, Canadian or Native forces are also
      welcome (RA, 8th, 49th Foot, Provincial Militia, Six/Seven Nations)
      Civilians of any background are welcome to attend which is only proper since
      Laura Secord is the most famous civilian from the War of 1812, north of the
      border. I will be enjoying a meal in Mrs Secord's kitchen throughout both
      days, United States forces and friendly Canadians are welcome to join me.
      Food and water will be supplied for those attending. The village will be
      buzzing with activity.

      > > If you are a reenactor and you are interested in attending, please
      contact Jim Hill 905 353-5442 or e-mail jhill(at)niagaraparks.com to
      register. We have very limited space available.

      > > We also have very limited space for further demonstrators/craftspeople.
      If you are a demonstrator/craftsperson and you are selling items, we will
      waive the historic merchant fee for June 21st and June 22nd. Please contact
      Melissa Bottomley, the manager of the Homestead to register a spot with your
      requirements 905 262-4851 or e-mail laurasecord(at)niagaraparks.com.

      > > Of course, just like Laura's walk, the action shifts to the Battle of
      Beaver Dams commemoration on Saturday afternoon and evening in Thorold,
      Ontario. For more information on Beaver Dams check out:
      www.battleofbeaverdams.com

      > > Nice to see everyone at Fort Meigs, although the Sergeant Major was
      unrelenting, picking on Private Hill. Congratulations to the Fort Meigs
      staff and volunteers. Awesome weather, friendly hosts and just a great time!
      See you at George, Stoney and the Forty in the coming weeks.

      > > More information will follow on the Siege of Fort Erie 199th, August
      10th and 11th, 2013 (we wanted all the other events and the actual 200th
      anniversaries to get in their plugs first)