46724Creek war issues - Massacre at Fort Mims

  • Thomas Robinson
    Apr 23, 2013
      As a frequent lecturer at the annual Fort Mims event, I would agree with all of what Mr. Westhouse offers; however, and reading the exchange of letters between Benjamin Hawkins and the principle players among the Creeks and settlers, the situation is much more complicated. US economic policy is the driving force to move the native population to a cash economy and to establish property ownership and animal husbandry as a means of broadening the power of the Nation. Rather than going into a subject that may not be of interest to the entire list, let me suggest, to make a search in the American State Papers, http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/amlaw/lwsp.html
      a search of Panton, Leslie and company, Benjamin Hawkins, Big Warrior, High Head Jim, William Augustus Bowles, John or James Innerarity, John Forbes.

      I am happy to discuss off list at t_a_robinson@...

      Tom
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic