46719Re: 1812 Reminder - Make plans to attend the 200th Anniversary Massacre at Fort Mims

  • Jim
    Apr 22, 2013
      Don't get me wrong. I am actually a Jefferson fan but he did have a few issues.

      Jefferson

      1807 to Secretary of War Dearborn `exterminated or driven beyond the Mississippi' `They kill some of us, we shall destroy all of them'
      1812 'drive them into the Stony Mountains'
      1813 'extirpate[d]them from the earth'

      This only applied to Indians who resisted. If they moved or surrendered, no problem, and it was for their own good. Extermination or enslavement is not a big deal. A two penny customs duty on a pound of tea not shipped by the British East India Company; now that's a reason to flip out.

      Horseshoe Bend wasn't a massacre, they just fought to the death. That's why they're called Braves.