46411Re: Playterson Lake Simcoe Portage Location

  • Jason Everett
    Jan 1, 2013
      > The Playter sons all took an active roll during the war(1812, York Militia)and it seems according to Eli Playters diary the boys were entrusted with many government papers etc. during the Battle of York...

      Years ago I spent quite a few hours going through what the Public Archives of Ontario had on the War of 1812. Eli Playter's (Lieut. III York) was a particularly interesting read. It gives a good idea of what the duties of local militia officer would have been. Even the parts (the majority) telling what he did off-duty (running a farm) helps understand something of the time. As I usually portray an officer of the militia it was useful in getting some grasp of what it might have been like.

      Jason E
      IMUC
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic