46393RE: arm across your body salute

  • Kevin Windsor
    Dec 26, 2012
      We can say that it survives to this day, but we can't say that it was what
      was used by everyone.

      We have seen one example in a regiment's "standing orders" but that doesn't
      mean it was common practise. Also if you look at the Standing orders of the
      85th you get a few other things. "Whenever a non-commissioned Officer,
      Bugler, or Private has the occasion to address an officer, give a report,
      etc.. if with arms he recovers first, returns to the carry, and only
      recovers again when parting the officer." And before that, "All inferiors
      are to give the salute first to their superiors. The salutes of all
      Non-Commissioned Officers, Buglers and privates, are of two descriptions,
      with arms and without. The Present and carry, (and occasionally the
      recover,) when with arms."

      If you look at the Standing Orders for the Royal Staff Corps it states
      something different.

      "A Good Soldier will be attentive and salute all Officers, and at all hours,
      in whatever dress they may appear. He can have no excuse for passing an
      Officer of his own Corps without paying that respect, as he must know him,
      although in coloured clothes: in all such instances, when a man is a
      centinel, he will only remain steady at his post with supported arms, in the
      same manner as he is taught to acknowledge Officers passing his post after
      retreat beating."

      So maybe before we say "this is how it is done" we do a little more research